Choosing a Healer Toon? Here's Some Help.

90 Gnome Warlock
I'm dropping this pile of text here as opposed to starting a new thread as I feel it will probably been seen by more people.

I have been a DPSer since I started WoW back in Dec 2005. I want to go down a new path, the healing route.

I dabbled a little bit with Shaman healing, but I haven't touched it in a very long time. I also started leveling a Resto Druid with some guildies (we all were trying new roles), but that fell apart. I have a new L15 Priest ready to go and want to try Mistweaver with my first Monk. I have all the BoA gear so I can basically start at any level.

I can find many sites that describe spells, rotations, and what not for max level characters (and how to level up during MoP). What I have not found is any place that provides good instruction (or mentoring suggestions) for the brand new healer. (Even this post does not provide enough info for me to comfortably step in a dungeon with 4 strangers. Although the info in here is great...thank you.)

Not all of us are in active guilds where we can hope to be mentored by guildies.

I don't necessarily need to be told how and when to heal, I want to be pointed in the right direction so that as I level up I am healing efficiently (or in the eyes of 'good' healers I am using the proper spells and do not run out of mana before the fight ends).

For example, I am hoping to find something along these lines:

'At level 15 you only have Heal-A and Heal-B. Use Heal-A primarily as it is more efficient. When you reach level xx, you will get Heal-C and Spell-D. Keep Spell-D on the tank during fights. Use Heal-C primarily as it is more mana efficient than Heal-A. At level xxx...'

I am sure I am not the only one who would like a little assistance in taking the healing route.

Thank you
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
That's not a bad idea, Kyplor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Hmm...
Okay, I'll try to do it.
But, it'll take time and I need to get my connection at home working again (cross fingers for early next week!!!!).
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
09/27/2012 07:59 AMPosted by Kyplor
I don't necessarily need to be told how and when to heal, I want to be pointed in the right direction so that as I level up I am healing efficiently (or in the eyes of 'good' healers I am using the proper spells and do not run out of mana before the fight ends).

In reality, your dungeons during leveling are going to be so easy, that you don't need to worry. Put Healbot on your system, so you can one click heal anyone in your party, and start stacking Intellect. You'll do fine.

Don't make the mistake of trying to level your guy too high without learning to heal. I would say you can probably spec Shadow if you want to Quest, until you get dual spec at 30. Or you can spec Holy or Disc and just dungeon/party level for the most party. Just make sure to use the opportunity of the lower super easy dungeons to learn your class, rather than trying to do so at 90 in a much more difficult setting.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESTORATION SHAMAN
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shammys are a combination of cast time and HoT healers.

Mechanics/Abilities: Shammys have both decently strong single target and AoE heals. Their signature spell, Earth Shield, places an eathern shield on only one player at a time that increases healing on that player and procs a heal every few seconds with incoming damage. They have a mechanic called Tidal Waves where every time they cast the abilitites Riptide (HoT heal) or Chain Heal (smart AoE heal) they get a +30% haste buff on their next 2 direct heals. They have the most potent single target burst heal in the game (Greater Healing Wave). They have a nice raid save in the ability Spirit Link Totem (which reduces damage taken and redistributes health for 6 secs within 10 yrds). They also bring many totem buffs, offensive dispells, a ranged interrupt, strong CC and Heroism/Bloodlust.

What Mastery Does: Deep Healing: Increases the potency of their healing spells by up to 24%, based on the current health level of their target (lower health targets are healed for more). Each point of Mastery increases healing by up to and additional 3.0%.

Misc. Info.: Shamans have a travel form called Ghost Wolf which increases their run speed to 130%. It can be used anywhere. Their main mana totem regen buff is shared with all in the raid and scales with their spirit.

Strong Points: They're outstanding at fast triage. They can also provide a huge amount of supporting AoE healing with very little time invested, because the ability Healing Rain is the largest single short cooldown AoE heal in the game.

Weak Points: While having many cooldowns and utility, their raw healing power is comparatively lower than the other healing specs.

Fun Fact: Reincarnate doesn't count as a battle rez.

Link to class forum: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012669/
Back to contents: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4015354204?page=1#1[/quote]
Edited by Abeille on 10/24/2012 10:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
MISTWEAVER MONK

MMonks (guess I'll call them that for now) are a work-in-progress... And probably will be for months...

Mechanics/Abilities:

What Mastery Does:

Misc. Info.:

Strong Points:

Weak Points:

Fun Fact:

Link to class forum: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/7379141/
Back to contents: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4015354204?page=1#1
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

MISTWEAVER MONK - (MW Monk)

Mechanics/Abilities:

What Mastery Does:

Misc. Info.:

Strong Points:

Weak Points:

Fun Fact:

To help out this thread a little bit, MW have 2 resource pools they use; Mana and Chi. Different heals require different resources.

Healing Mechanics: MW get is a smart "prayer of mending"-like HoT called Renewing Mist (ReM in class thread) costs mana. You put it on a target, it will jump to 2 other targets and place a ticking HoT on them. Also through your Uplift spell, which uses Chi, you get an instant AoE heal to anyone who has that Renewing Mist HoT. There is also a 1.5min cooldown you can use called Thunder Focus Tea (uses Chi to activate) that will make your next Uplift refresh duration of the Renewing Mist HoT. Which enables you to have the HoT on more targets than usual, which in turn makes your Uplifts more powerful as it is hitting more people. MW also get a "smart beacon" in the form of their Jade Serpent Statue, which when casting Soothing Mist (which costs mana) will cause the Statue to cast Soothing mist automatically on the lowest health player. Enveloping Mist is the MW large HoT and uses Chi to cast. And Surging Mist is the MW mana consuming quick heal. Surging Mist, and the first application of Renewing Mist will guarantee a Chi point, and channeling Soothing mist has a chance to generate a Chi during the entire channel. While channeling Soothing Mist on a target your Surging Mist and Enveloping Mist will become instant cast on that target, which is great for tank healing.

Mastery is a chance to proc a Healing Sphere close to a random player and when walked over will heal an injured player for a certain amount. Increasing the Mastery increases the proc chance (I think), and Spell power increases the heal amount.

Misc Info Quite a few unique things are available to MW Monks, our Mana regen comes in the form of Mana Tea, which you gain stacks of Mana Tea through spending Chi, and you gain Chi by spending Mana. It is not a mana positive cycle but very fun none-the-less.

Strengths Trying not to tailor the Strengths to Raid/dungeon/leveling specific environments...with the right timing and attention to detail, Monks can be extremely effective healers in any situation with any task. MW Monks have the ability to still heal while DPSing as well. Monks also have some of the best mobility of any healer with the Roll ability along with Transcendence spell which you get at higher levels.

Weaknesses The MW Monk has a different feel than most of the other healing classes, so if you are switching from one to the other, it can take some getting used to. It is also very possible to misuse the dual resources which will in effect make you a less efficient healer overall.
Reply Quote
77 Pandaren Monk
I'm dropping this pile of text here as opposed to starting a new thread as I feel it will probably been seen by more people.

I have been a DPSer since I started WoW back in Dec 2005. I want to go down a new path, the healing route.

I dabbled a little bit with Shaman healing, but I haven't touched it in a very long time. I also started leveling a Resto Druid with some guildies (we all were trying new roles), but that fell apart. I have a new L15 Priest ready to go and want to try Mistweaver with my first Monk. I have all the BoA gear so I can basically start at any level.

I can find many sites that describe spells, rotations, and what not for max level characters (and how to level up during MoP). What I have not found is any place that provides good instruction (or mentoring suggestions) for the brand new healer. (Even this post does not provide enough info for me to comfortably step in a dungeon with 4 strangers. Although the info in here is great...thank you.)

Not all of us are in active guilds where we can hope to be mentored by guildies.

For example, I am hoping to find something along these lines:

'At level 15 you only have Heal-A and Heal-B. Use Heal-A primarily as it is more efficient. When you reach level xx, you will get Heal-C and Spell-D. Keep Spell-D on the tank during fights. Use Heal-C primarily as it is more mana efficient than Heal-A. At level xxx...'

I am sure I am not the only one who would like a little assistance in taking the healing route.

Thank you

well, let me give you some advice completely skewed from my own personal experience on this now 29 mistweaver:

currently, I only have 2 ways to heal people - Soothing mist and from DPS in Wise serpernt stance (which you need to have on to heal anyway). My next healing spell comes in at 32.

My preference, is to use DPS to heal, then use soothing mist when heavy damage is being taken. This allows for quicker fights, meaning less healing in total is required as mobs are dieing faster.

A note for soothing mist. For very heavy damage scenarios, you can keep recasting soothing mist, which equates to almost double the healing output (which funnily at this low level doesnt have an impact on my mana reservs, although i do have BoA helm, chest and shoulders, so YMMV). With this i managed to heal though a tank that activated all 4 fires after the 2nd last boss in blackfathom.

for DPS healing, i'm mainly using jab to gain Chi, Blackout kick to spend it. I also make use of Touch of Death where i can, since it is the highest damage skill (because of the HP i have) so again reduces fight time.

I use Expel harm if i have 3 Chi or less, and have taken damage to heal myself up, and generate chi for more Blackout kicks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Little more info

Both a strength and weakness: uplift and renewing mist can affect people outside the monks range but weakness because no control on who gets renewing mist other then first target
Reply Quote
75 Blood Elf Death Knight
Hello ive recently started a nelf Monk and im trying to turn into mistweaver but i find it very hard to keep the tank alive because my only heals at the moment are the ones that you get up to 35 and they just dont keep him up i often can not heal and i run out of mana quickly so hmu on this toon thank you or get me on my alience charecter Kixs thank you!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
@ Unholyfrost

I used to be a shammy healer back in Cata, i didn't really like the changes to them and my friends moved server, so i just made Aerie. I've been healing for Six years, (took a year break though last year, just got back with MoP).

With Aerie I had normal gear you get from dungeons (thats how I'm leveling her) and I never struggled for mana until i got into Stratholme. However, I would notice how good the tank was depending on the damage coming into the dps (if they aren't being stupid) and themselves, some tanks are amazing! and then you get others that just barely hold aggro, if they manage that. (with no hunter or warlock pets).

By the sounds of it you shouldn't try the dps heals, it gets better once your a higher level. Right now you should just sit and cast soothing mist on the tank, and a dps if health decreases and tank doesn't need healing more.

Don't forget to use Enveloping Mists, on the tank when ever his health is at half and you have 3 chi, otherwise use surging mists, although it dents your mana quite a bit.

If you don't have enough chi stay in dps range so you can hit a target every now and then with jab to get some chi.

Can you post on your monk or give me a name and server so i can see your talents and armor, etc.

Thanks Aerie
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
How i heal with my level 54 Mistweaver:

Mist Weavers are overall a really fun healing class to play. The closest connection to any other class is the pally with holy power (i'ver never played a pally above level 15 though :P hated the melee part), the melee is fun and the ability to switch between healing through dpsing and then doing serious heals briefly.

Generally right now whenever a fight starts I cast Renewing Mists (keep it up on the tank through the whole fight, it spreads to the most injured target a couple times, so you don't have to worry too much about the dps unless they get too much aggro or the tank can't hold aggro). Then I dps - when i dps i use chi wave whenever its castable (do the same with chi burst, not sure about the zen sphere, i haven't tried it yet.

If i see the tank dieing immediate Spinning Jade Crane Kick (not sure if the word order is right) then if necessary use soothing mists (to get instant cast) surging mists/enveloping mists (if you have enough chi).

If you need to suddenly do serious healing in the middle of a fight (or your in the fire :) use roll and get away, start with soothing mists and then use chi wave/chi burst/zen sphere, when larger heals are required use Surging mists/Enveloping Mists.

And Always! keep Renewing Mists on the tank!

I got the talent where i now have 5 chi and an increased percent of mana, this is really helpful imo better than the other 2 talent options at that level.

Aerie :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
this guide is outdated for MoP, I think maybe it should be unstuck if not updated
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Outdated? Yes. Not useful? Hardly. It still deserves sticky statues unless someone makes a better summarization of all healing classes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
as holy priest i done and completed a lot of mass pulls since fresh into heroic MoP dungs(with tanks of a average of ilvl 463+)...i also got experience with lfr and mana regen require to actually not getting carried..imma give details for each spell and some talent

flash heal:unlike a few ppl says to use for emergency you should use it alway when single target healing...very fast cast speed and does a great amount of healing

Renew: use on tank only in dungeons(will instantly be refresh with flash heal and holy word: Serenity)...use it on dps if your in a raid if u need to minorly heal someone for a low mana cost...do NOT get the renew glyph..the glyph might boost the healing by 33% but it stay for less time on the tank) but when you have to switch to dps healing for a while that glyph will make it so that u be force re-cast renew on tank since it goes off too quick with the glyph instead of a flash heal or holy word:serenity...end up burning a bit more mana and loose a greater healing spell cast

Holy Word : Shield & Guardian Spirit...only use those spell to save a dps from imminent death if you dont have time to cast flash heal and that Holy Word : Serenity isn't Available...the spell Barrier cost more mana than flash heal and absorb for less health than flash heal grant...do NOT get the glyph of holy word: shield...its the exact same amount of health granted to the person...literaly a useless glyph....Guardian Spirit is cheap on mana and recover the person for 60% health(better than barrier)...i would recommend to save your Guardian Spirit for mass pulls for your tank though if there is a chance that you get stunned

Holy Word: Serenity...your best single target spell...cheap on mana and heal for almost as much as flash heal...use it whenever its available(do NOT macro it with flash heal otherwise you will not see its cooldown if you hope its rdy to heal a dps in critical health moment

Prayer of Healing: minor AoE healing spell...only use it if you got 2 stack of Serendipity(passive skill of your granted by using Flash Heal) if your in a dungeon...if your in a raid and group is taking low-moderate dmg(approx 15% dmg per second) spam it regardless if you got the proc or not(only use when whole group is taking damages...it heal the 5 ppl nearest to you..regardless if they are full health or not)

Cascade: moderate AoE healing spell...if your in a dungeon use it if at least 3 members took at least 50% dmg to their health...if your in a raid cast it if group is taking moderate aoe dmg(approx 20% dmg per second) or if group drop bellow 50% health

Divine Hymn:heavy AoE healing spell...use it if at least 3 member of your dungeon group is taking heavy dmg or if 4-5 members are about to die(20-30% health remaning and that heavy dmg keep going)...if your in a raid use if group is taking heavy aoe dmg(25% dmg approx per second)...or if your raid group drop bellow 25% health

Lightspring(glyph of lightspring):if your in a dungeon set it up b4 a mass pull or if your having difficulty to keep up on a boss fight...if your fighting a raid boss set it up right off the start

Binding Heal: if you and your tank are both taking heavy dmg use that and spam it instead of flash heal(assuming your tank is having difficulty or is at faillure at picking aggro) if your tank is a pro you should not have to use it above 3 time

Shadowfiend and Hymn of Hope: use the shadowfiend when you reach 200k mana and use it b4 Hymn of hope since thats your best regenerative mana spell nad must be rdy to use again faster than hymn of hope...use hymn of hope right after shadowfiend when your back down to 200k mana again during a boss fight...if you happen to run outta mana during a mass pull(rarely happen but if it does cast shadowfiend on the highest health mobs u spot..dont try to get the best...just one of the 5 top will do)...do not cast hymn of hope during a mass pull if you run outta mana unless the tank has turn on a invincibility spell..this wil lcost your group to die if using when tank isn't on invincibility spell

Leap Of Faith:use it to move your tank butt up if u want him to pull mob quicker if u walk ahead of him(if you want faster run do it) or even in long walk areas on a dps or tank iif they are behind you(at least 15 yards)...during boss or thrash use it to pull a dummy dps out of dmging spell if he//she stand in crap

Chakkra:Serenity:...alway have this chakkra active in dungeons...if your in raids swap to sanctuary

Chakkra:Sanctuary:use it for raids.....never use it in dungeons

Purify: to remove debuffs from 1 person(dungeons or a specific raid member)

Mass Dispel:same as Purify but for raids only...remove all debuff from whole group in the targeted area...cost a lot of mana so use it carefully

part 2 in next post....limited to 5000 characters :S
Edited by Genesiswaves on 4/8/2013 1:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Talent lvl 15:Void Tendrill or Dominate mind at choice(preferably Void Tendril if your more of a serious player and need it to root mobs...or get dominate mind to annoy the alliance(or for the achievement in Ulduar)

Talent lvl 30: Body & Soul or Angelic feather at choice...if you go for Angelic Feather you will have to be quicker of the hand but if you can manage that its better than body and soul...if your not too fast handed i would recommend body and soul

Talent lvl 45:From Light Come Darkness...best choice to get procs for free cast of Flash Heal(very mana efficient)..also quite handy if you plan to help dps boss in dungeons if your good at managing mana and also keep up with healing your group

Talent lvl 60:Desperate Prayer or Angelic Bullwark at choice....Desperate Prayer heal you for more but Angelic Bulwark allow you to go for a binding heal click along a protection of your health+ prevent a death blow if u lack time..but u get to heal your tank a bit less for 0.5 sec approx.....but overall Angelic Bulwark is your best pick

Talent lvl 75:Twist of Fate obviously lol...grant you 20% extra healing and damages for nearly whole fight

Talent lvl 90: Cascade....Halo does look better but its not.....halo heal ppl very poorly when they are nearby.....Cascade split up to a total of 15 bolts going for the fartest target alway to grant the maximum health possible and also has a lower cooldown

Major Glyphs:Glyph of Lightspring....dps and tanks cant bother click your lightwelll...it will screw up their rotation and make them loose focus of their job.....so have a cheap and auto-healing spring instead.........Glyph of Inner Fire:grant you 50% extra armor and make you a lot more resilient to physical hits.....giving you a much better survivability.......Glyph of Inner Sanctum:same as Glyph of Inner Fire but for magic damages(increase your survivability by a lot)

as stated early...Glyph of renew and Glyph of Power:word Shield seem good but they actually got a backfire effect(see above if u misread those parts for the backfire effects)

concerning Glyph of Mass Dispel its literaly useless if your sharp for a fast cast when needed during a raid

concerning Glyph of Circle of healing:circle of healing is a useless spell beaten by far by Prayer of Healing....so not even worth get a glyph for a obsolete spell

Concerning Glyph of Lightspring...the well might grant 2 extra healing but its useless since you should have another well rdy to put up when the first one expire and u would also loose a defensive glyph that increase your survivability

Minor Glyph...none of them are important but Glyph of Valyrie turn you in a sexy valk instead of a angel.......or dont get it if you prefer your angel lol

part 3(last part in next post) still limited to 5000 characters lol
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
if you plan to dps as healer you first must be knowledgable of how to manage your mana very well and also be good(fast handed) at swapping target when you need to heal a party member otherwise you be running outta mana and will fail at keeping your group up...and only do it in dungeons....do NOT attempt to dps in a raid that willl consume too much mana due to the fight lenght and you need to save as much mana as possible

here the spells you should use if your going to dps in dungeons

Smite:spam it if you dont have to heal your members and if your tank isn't taking any heavy damages..if your fresh into heroics i would suggest you to stop using smite WHEN you reach 130k mana or you be running out of mana...also not recomended to dps at all IF your fresh into heroics AND that you get 3 horrible dps(20k-25k dps each of them on a dps meter)

Shadow Word:Pain:cast it b4 smite..it deal more damages and keep it up on the boss or high health thrash..or even a few scattered thrash that u could pull in stead of the tank if they tickle.......do not recast this spell on boss or thrash if their health is lower than 1200k...dps will finish the mobs off b4 it take full effect

Shadow Word: Death: cast it whenever you can on a low health mob

Mind Sear:your AoE dps spell(only use that on groups of at least 5 mobs and above)...do not attempt to use that on mass pulls unless your tank cast a invincibility spell(such as Die by the sword for warriors or Bubble for Paladins) or if the mobs tickle(such as the 2 warden and 5 lightning guys at the entrance of shado-pan monastery)..some other mobs also tickle but i let you figure them out...u need to learn each mob damages power to master your healing skills and know when to dps and when to not

Side Notes:
using Smite has a 15% chance grant you free cast of flash heal

do not add Holy Fire in your dps rotation spell even if it boost your damages a little.....it has longer cast than smite and doesn't grant any free flash heal casts

if you wish to pull mobs for tank first warn the tank prior to pull so he can be prepared to pick up aggro...make sure you tank isn't squishy(able to take on mass pulls) and is fast at picking up aggro...be very carefull of your health if tank is a bit late on picking aggro or you will die...you must be wary of what LoS is(line of sight is and how to abuse it properly to get mobs to stack for tank to easy pick aggro on what you pull).....also keep a certain distance from mobs after pull if necessary to force them to move near tank(if casters wont go to tank if u stand too near tank for some spots)....ALSO....DO NOT TRY THAT IF YOU CANT MANAGE TO DPS AND HEAL GROUP ON BOSS FIGHT.....pulling for tank require in addition to all that your hand to be extremely quick at select target to heal since mobs can actually spread out on dps for some good dmg if tank is a bit late on picking aggro...including yourself

i,am not gonna bother to explain how Fortitude...Shackle Undead...fear Ward...levitate and ressurection work...they are pretty much obvious

Literaly useless spells: Greater heal...Heal...Dispel Magic....void shift and mind vission(void shift is seriously useless)...your asking to die by using that and make group wipe(greater heal has a horrible cast speed and steal prayer of healing procs if u plan to use serendipity also the fact its barely minorly better than fh even with the procs)...heal has a horrible cast speed and a horrible healing...renew is better than heal at any time....circle of healing and prayer of mending are just beaten by prayer of healing in term of healing..simple as that.....Purify > Dispel Magic

Psychic Scream is pvp
Chakkra:Chastise is dps..your a healer not a dps and should not prioritize dps buff over healing buff(especially that its 40 second to get back healing chakkra(Serenity)) otherwise if it had no cd you could macro it)

finaly stats priority: Spirit > intel > haste > mastery > crit

limit yourself to 15-16K Combat regen on the high end..you wont need above that as a holy...11k regen is pretty good for ilvl 470..8-9k regen for fresh MoP dung(ilvl 430 about) is good

have enough haste for 1.3 to 1.35 sec cast time for flash heal...a late healing is never good to keep group alive but too much haste will burn out your mana way too fast so keep it good but dont go overboard

Edited 08//04//2013:
Prayer Of mending:cast on tank in raids(useless for dungeons)...this spell prioritize injured targets and will heal multi-wounded target at the difference of Prayer Of Healing

Circle of Healing:(same stuff as prayer of mending)
Edited by Genesiswaves on 4/8/2013 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I would really like to see more updated discussion about D priest.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Discipline Priest . don't pick one , each time there is an new patch wow screw the Discipline Priest
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]