World of Warcraft War College – Getting Geared

Community Manager
This week, the topic of discussion is:

Getting Geared –Whether getting ready to jump into PvP with a new character or preparing for a new PvP season, it’s important to get enough Resilience on your items to be competitive. What are the best techniques you've found to gear up fast?

The battlefields of World of Warcraft are littered with the bones of those who have become casualties in the ongoing conflict between the Horde and the Alliance. You do not need to become one of them. One of the keys to victory is knowledge, and that is where the World of Warcraft War College enters the picture. In these discussions between players, you can learn and share strategies with other players to improve your tactics and improve your odds of emerging victorious from the field of battle.

Are you a veteran Gladiator with countless victories tallied? Are you new to World of Warcraft and striving to improve your PvP skills? In this weekly feature, we invite players of all skill levels to ask questions, share tips and tactics, and join a conversation dedicated to surviving and thriving in World of Warcraft PvP.

War College Thread Rules:

• Stick to the rules. All posts should abide by the forum code of conduct and these War College forum thread guidelines. Feel free to disagree with each other, but please do so respectfully. When you express opposing opinions, focus on the idea, not its author, their rating, or perceived skill level.
  • Be constructive. The purpose of this thread is to share effective tactics and strategies; to adapt, overcome and become a better player based on current conditions. Claiming that a class, comp or strategy is overpowered isn’t conducive to learning better play and tends to just derail the discussion.
  • No soapboxes, please. This thread is for the community to discuss strategies and tactics amongst themselves, not to push individual opinions about game balance or design.
  • Please limit conjecture. Theorycrafting definitely has its place, but it’s best to keep the discussion focused, on-topic and practical.
  • Important: Please provide explanations and be prepared to provide evidence. These threads exist to elevate the level of strategic discussion on the forums. When appropriate, please provide examples illustrating tactics or techniques you believe to be effective. When using videos please post time stamps to help direct people to the specific points in the action to which you’re referring.
  • Ask questions! These threads aren’t just for experienced players, but also players who are learning the ropes or want to improve their skills. On the same token, don’t attack other players for asking questions.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Strand of the Ancients weekend = full ruthless in ~4 days.

BG weekends are really excellent for gearing up, especially if its a quick one like Strand or AV.

AV, Strand, and Isle of Conquest are excellent for undergeared PvPers because there is more vehicle and PvE combat, which makes having low resil much less of an issue. WSG and AB are really dreadful when you are getting one shot.
Edited by Mights on 2/8/2012 7:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
- Buy Flask
- Do premade
- Turn off caps in BG
- Little luck
--> easy honor
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Call to Arms!!! If its a BG weekend do it! Then once you get about 3k resil you can try arenas with a good partner that knows how to handle themselves.

GL!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
02/08/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Mights
Strand of the Ancients weekend = full ruthless in ~4 days.

When you say four days, how much time are you spending each day in the battlegrounds.

Also, as an open question - how do you balance your Honor pieces against Conquest pieces? Which Conquest pieces do you prioritize?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
buy the blue boes, run bgs on honor weekend, profit.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
To beat rls be ret dk, jungle cleave, or enhance, warrior/dk.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
To be all honest?

Do a premade with friends or get carried.

Newbie in a bg without any form of resilience will be eaten alive for breakfast and the bones gwaned upon.

Then as an additional point for discussion:

Is it better to convert Valor to Conquest and do Tol Barad raids to get a few PvP items before stepping into PvP at all, then finish gearing up via Honor and Conquest after?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/08/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Also, as an open question - how do you balance your Honor pieces against Conquest pieces? Which Conquest pieces do you prioritize?

I'm far from an expert, but here's mine:
Weapon (ASAP)
Chest
Legs
Everything Else
Relic
PvP trinket

Though, I'm thinking that it might be beneficial to put the other trinket higher up (not the freedom one).

02/08/2012 07:39 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Is it better to convert Valor to Conquest and do Tol Barad raids to get a few PvP items before stepping into PvP at all, then finish gearing up via Honor and Conquest after?

I think it really depends on how fast you want to get started, and your specs. If you've got a tanking or healing spec, I think it would be best to do BH, then run instances until your eyes bleed for valor/JP to convert to conquest/honor. If you're DPS only, I'd say to do BH, convert what you can, get the crafted gear, and do random BGs till your eyes bleed.
Edited by Karat on 2/8/2012 7:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
If I spent 2 days (including 6-8 hours of sleeping), I'd prolly get 3/4 of full pvp gear.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
It seems Blizzard is putting a lot of emphasis on PvP in pandaria, in a passive sorta way.

I think im gonna like this expansion.
Edited by Freshlemons on 2/8/2012 7:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
What I seen most do is get the five main pieces of conquest pieces first then go for the off pieces.

Most stay away from legs and hands since you get a chance at BH. Head, chest or shoulders first. If you're really unlucky then hands and legs.

Then go for trinket and when available immediately the weapons.

I do the opposite, depending on what toon I'm on.

My raiding toons who pvp who already have 397+ weapons = I replace off pieces first, then get hands/legs/chest helm, then trinkets, then finally the weapon as a sidegrade.

My alts who only pvp (like this one) = off pieces, then save for weapon, get mh + oh, then legs/shoulders/chest/helm.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
While it may come down to 1v1, 10 v 1, or hell 40 vs 1, all depends on how to survive while doing your part in damage or healing. On the other note if you are a new 85 or such, do at least try to get CRAFTED pvp gear to start off with. It may be a little hard to gather the materials but being in Vicious gear is better than a few greens and PvE gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]