World of Warcraft War College – Getting Geared

90 Night Elf Priest
02/08/2012 08:48 PMPosted by Sifting
speaking of converting points... why the hell can't we convert tol barad tokens for honor like back in wintergrasp?

Good question. I might actually pick up the quests while I gank in TB if I could do that. There's nothing I can buy with TB points that's even remotely helpful right now. I have a spare head/shoulder enchant but other than that I stopped picking up the quests
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/08/2012 08:16 PMPosted by Opula
I went straight into BGs with no resil at all, and a full suit of 333ilvl dungeon blues, but being a rogue makes life SLIGHTLY less crummy in pvp on that score, since you can sort of duck in and out of a group fight and stun things so you don't get quite so dead. So I suppose it's really a YMMV depending on your class.

I did as well, as a hunter. I got destroyed, a lot. As alliance (I can't speak for horde), we seem to be really bad at defending, and so horde get free bases often, when you are undergeared, you are usually not much help during a murderfest, so sitting in a vacant base calling out incs (calling out when the opposing team is going to come try to take the base) can win the game. Hooray run-on sentence!
Reply Quote
Craft up some Blues.
Queue.
Hope for Alliance Valley or Isle of "you don't see me".
Get Gilneas instead.
Go Blue Rogues and NEVER. GIVE. UP.

But really, grind it out.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Start pvping at start of the xpac, after everyone is geared, give up all hope of ever gearing another toon lol

In all honesty tho, I find something I can be highly mobile with, (firemage/ele shaman/ healers) then run like heck the second anyone is close to me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
1st rule of the BG :
You do not carry the flag if you're under 4k resilience

2nd rule of the bg :
You do NOT carry the flag if you're under 4k resilience

3rd rule of the bg :
If you're starting up, gear for resilience. Forget everything else : you deal 0 damage when you're dead.

4th rule of the bg :
Get your weapon, after that don't worry too much about which piece to get first. They are more or less equal in stats per honor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I wouldn't say I'm a great PVPer in any way, but I think it's a lot of fun!

How I start with a toon who has NO PVP gear:
    - Farming, crafting and dailies will help with gold and the cost of mats or blue PVP gear.
    - Either buy the pieces of blue resil gear from the AH, or ask around for someone to make them for you, either with your mats or without, which can get a bit pricey depending on the person.
    - If you have a guildie or friend that'll help you with crafting them or supplying a few mats, it definitely helps. It never hurts to ask!
    - I usually go for the random BG for the extra points, unless the weekend BG is one I really enjoy.
    - I've found that even when you aren't great, you'll receive honor in a decent amount of time. Since I'm a 'casual' PVPer, it took me about a week to get all of my PVP gear, but it was worth it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I answer all questions directed towards me. Feel free to PM me on arenajunkies (http://www.arenajunkies.com/user/65904-ktpearie/) or in game as Ktpeari on Kel'Thuzzad.

-8 Time Gladiator, 2 time Rank 1, 2 time Hero of the Alliance
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
DoD
just go do some high level dungeons and get some of those PvE points to trade them in for PvP points so you can buy some PvP gear
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Getting Geared –Whether getting ready to jump into PvP with a new character or preparing for a new PvP season, it’s important to get enough Resilience on your items to be competitive. What are the best techniques you've found to gear up fast?

This is what I did for a new character:

1. Did battlegrounds during my lvling up process and saved the honor points. I had almost 4000hp when I hit 85.

2. I ran dungeons as much as my scheduled would allow (long queue times as dps) and save up almost 2000 Justice Points.

3. Once I hit 85, I converted all my JP to HP. I was able to buy, I believe, 3 pieces of Ruthless Gear with all of the HP right off the bat.

4. I used the tailoring skills of one of my alts to make the vicious pvp gear for the rest of my gear slots.

5. I had my 4 piece ruthless set bonus on day 2 after hitting lvl 85 and this with only playing a handful of pvp games.

Hope this helps somebody!

Jp
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I've noticed that some players have written posts that are all about BG tips (for example), but don't cover gearing. I think that the response so far has been awesome and the helpful posts are too, since there's some good advice in there, but it's best to keep posts on topic. Each week I'll be covering a different PvP related topic, and yes, we'll include battleground tactics - likely with an entire thread dedicated to tactics for a single battleground.

It will help us all get the most out of War College threads if every poster limits comment to the weekly prompt and everyone keep things focused.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I've noticed that some players have written posts that are all about BG tips (for example), but don't cover gearing. I think that the response so far has been awesome and the helpful posts are too, since there's some good advice in there, but it's best to keep posts on topic. Each week I'll be covering a different PvP related topic, and yes, we'll include battleground tactics - likely with an entire thread dedicated to tactics for a single battleground.

It will help us all get the most out of War College threads if every poster limits comment to the weekly prompt and everyone keep things focused.

Should be interesting, thanks for this. We don't regularly get much input for specific battlegrounds because most people speak in such general terms in the BG forums.

I'll cross my fingers for some non-structured/instanced PVP War College discussion as well.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I've noticed that some players have written posts that are all about BG tips (for example), but don't cover gearing. I think that the response so far has been awesome and the helpful posts are too, since there's some good advice in there, but it's best to keep posts on topic..

Ah I see,,
I think a lot of the issue here is there not a whole lot to say-

1. crafted blues (if you can afford them)- and tbh they dont do much under current damage levels.
2. try to win, which suprisingly is something that does need to be said.
3. prioritise purchases according to class/current gear. IE if you have a high level pve weapon you can delay the purchase of a PvP weapon, otherwise that will be you 1st target for all non casters.
4. biggest stat gains 1st, chest and legs - off pieces, rings etc are generally last.
5. try not to get too frustrated and rage when you get 3 shot for the 1st few days.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
87 Tauren Paladin

I am working on a post right now, should have it done in a few hours. I will keep it focused on the topic of gearing. I think this thread concept is a wonderful idea and I look forward to reading and contributing to these in the future.

Edit: Things got held up, darn school interfering with my WoW posting! Should have it up tonight :)
Edited by Eldacar on 2/9/2012 7:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
It's rough gearing up. Really rough.
I have 10 85's that I've been gearing and it gets brutal.

Try to buy a few 377 Blue items before going into a BG. Being in quest greens will make other players on your team mad and the other team will target you more for free kills.

-I always start with expensive honor items first. 2200 peices.
-I usually buy the conquest shoulders first just for a new look. Then I try for the expensive peices. ( You can always buy the less expensive )
-I convert Valors to Conquest for the first few weeks to help me get a little bit more geared before Arena. ( Don't recommend Arena till 4k+ Resil now )
-Always run Baradin Hold every week and hope for some gear.
-Tol'Barad also awards a nice chunk of honor. Try to get in it as much as you can.
------------

Call to Arms: Alterac Valley is a great time to gear up. It's quick and is PvE objective based. Try to stay with the crowd and support the team if you are undergeared.

If you are looking to become a a great PvPer it will take some time.
Start off by browsing your Class Section in the Forums and looking for a Spec/Class PvP sticky. Read up on how to gem/glyph/spec properly and learn a little bit about your utility in PvP.

Watching videos is also good to learn some tips and tricks to use yourself.
--------------

Lastly, just practice.
Don't let gearing up and getting destroyed keep you down.
Always try to focus on the objective so you and the team can win. Wins = More Honor. More Honor = More gear. More Gear = Happy player.
-----------

Goodluck.
"Hide yo' bases, hide yo' Flags, and hide yo' bads. Cause ereybody gettin' shreded' on tanight."
Edited by Fayup on 2/8/2012 9:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
So You want to pvp eh? yet you are ,either Decked out in pve gear or ya Just hit 85.
Well i have followed my own way of getting geared easily for pvp.

Starting From Scratch: Congratulations! you've Just hit level 85 and you have been waiting
to pvp all your life, but lemme tell you something as SOON as you hit the button to que
your basicly signing your death warrent due to lack of that Epic pvp gear thats been making
your jaw drop to the floor with its Epicocity and overall awsomeness. So what can a new guy
do to start off nice and fresh and Ready to pwn some Ally/Horde Faces? CHECK THE AUCTION HOUSE i cant seem to stress how much of a difference those silly 377 crafted pvp pieces make(assuming you have the gold for it, most new 85s range about 1-5kg at least). OH but what if you cant seem to have the gold to manage a full set HMMMMMMM? that my friends is where that thing you've been leveling up all through 1-85 comes in handy, PROFESSIONS. Whatever Professions you chose will greatly help in gearing from scratch so if you can make said pieces do it or if you can farm some materials for it go ahead whatever makes it so you can get geared nice and quick so you dont get completely facerolled in a bg.

Why is Resil important again? If you check you Character tab under defense you'll see
Resilience this stat Reduces damge taken from other players and their pets.

But why Go through So much? Why not just walts into a Bg and go in there with only 70-90k
hp? Well if you realllllllyyy wanna spend time getting two shot by the nearest everything
be my guest.Having Zero Resil is a terrible way to start and even then your mostly depending
on your faction to win, Sometimes thats not really a choice.You being able to take some dmg
while also dealing some will greatly improve your chances at winning.Ill go on about my strategies for winning with pugs later on.

Starting from Epic PvE Gear(ilvl 378-WHATEVER YOU ARE MAN):Grats Bro you decided after you saved Azeroth from Deathwing blowing it up that you wanted to let the bodies hit the floor like wingless flies or sheep, ya wingless sheep. Welp I will let you know one thing those Faces you will be able to roll can also kinda roll you Face aswell Why? cause lack of Resil. Unlike starting off with Greens you will probably have about lets say 120k+ hp and deal a bit more dmg. Now the funny thing about PvP is if you are geared for PvE you essentially can gear our for PvP through PvE! How? well you can transfer all your unwanted Valor/Justice points to Conquest/honor points. For every 250 Valor turns into 250 Conquest, and every 375 Justice turns into 250 honor. So cap out ur Valor and take whatever Jp ya get make it honor! this will make farming nice and easy, for gear that is. Every week you can start off with 1250 Conquest and only have to farm a lil more bg wins for to cap conquest and get the awsome pvp gear.

Once again Why go through so much when i already have decent dps to kill a man? Having
Resil Does make a difference Period. Lets say your a hunter fighing a warrior. The Warrior has the Current teir ruthless honor set complete with off set and has 4k resil. You have
390+ilvl gear from Dragon soul and valor pieces. Though you may be prancing around with the fancy title and gear you still have a less chance of winning against the warrior simply because of the Resil. Resil alwasy gives you the edge in pvp combat.

FOR BOTH! Things to do to get Quick honor: TOL BARAD this amazing place gives you atleas 400+ honor winning or 130+ losing it takes 15-20 mins i believe and helps your server get to run BH which is nice to get some rolls on Pvp trinkets, Cloaks, and 2 pieces of the current pvp teir. BG WEEKENDS these can be seen on the Calander in which certain weekends a carefully selected bg is given the Honor and conquest bonus that queing for a random bg does, These can be easily premade with your guild or your friends.
EDIT: Also in Bgs such as Ab, or BoG when you Defend a point you gain 50% more honor So Remember Defend and always fight on the node!
EDIT#2: Being in a level 25 guild with the 10% bonus honor really contributes to the farming as well

Lemme know if i messed up anywhere. Thank you and I hope this helps :D
Edited by Spineskull on 2/8/2012 9:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]