World of Warcraft War College – Getting Geared

85 Orc Death Knight
If you can que as a tank or healer, run your daily for random instances and then convert over (Jp->Honor, V->Conquest) then run SOTA (Including your PvP daily) and for a casual gamer, someone that only plays a few hours everyday or two it would only take you maybe a week or two to gear. In terms of what to gear first. If you have 378+ PvE weapons those can be your last items to upgrade. But start with your big ones, (Shoulders, Chest, Helm, Boots, Bracers) for the armor and Resil. Once you have around 3k resil you could possibly run areans with someone thats good for quick conquest points. Thats just my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Speaking from an experienced players perspective I have found that if you want to gear for PvP as a fresh 85 you need to do one of the following.

- Spend money for a Baseline Set that one of the crafting professions can make. (2 - 10k based on the realm)
- Spend some time in PvE gearing while at the same time saving justice points to convert into Honor at a later time. This generally gets you a weapon that you can use while gearing to help your damage (if you're a Melee Class / Hunter, etc)
- Get "carried", join some BG's with a friend(s) and hope that the opposite team has someone is poorly geared like yourself.
- Farm Honor during some of the weekend events (SoTA, EoTS, WSG, AV, etc)

on this alternative character I have farmed around 9 PvP items while also farming up a full PvE 383 set. I have the Raid Finder 390 Voice of Deeps and I have 1650 Conquest collecting that I'm ready to blow on my shoulders / chest as soon as I have enough conquest to do so. I have actually never had issues gearing in PvP, I find that the bulk of the people I play against I can simply out-play even without resilience and it tends to make the process that much quicker.

I believe that once a player reaches level 85 there should be a "Starter" set for the specific path they wish to take, as an example Tol Barad daily quests should reward you with a one time bonus of various pieces of armor to get you a minimum of 2000 resilience (which is 2000 - 3000 less than the decently geared player). While reaching level 85 should also start a quest chain in which players are rewarded with a basic 346 / 359 set a single time if they wish to partake in PvE.
Edited by Exstinctio on 2/8/2012 9:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Do av for honor to get pvp gear and stay in large groups. The last thing you want is several non resil players in a bg like wsg its slaughter.
Edited by Ðmoney on 2/8/2012 9:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
if you re near to hit 85, get 4000 honor cap before it, this way saves at least some bg one shots cuze you dont have gear,

now in gearing

1.- buy first the things what gives you better stats
2.- if you re a meele get the weapon asap
3.- dont gem and enchant gear until you got Full pvp gear!!(this if becuse, if you get tired of losing or/and wanna run some dungeonds and get somes upgrades or pieces, you can turn back your gear and refund the honor and the whit that honor buy something else)
4.- get some blue pvp gear!( buy the cheapest things or make sure if you buy these this will be the last ones of being replaced)
5.- Save for you first conquest piece( in less that a week only 21 wins of bgs are nessesari to buy a conquest point gear, only 1650 its a great deal for gloves, shoulders, thinket ect)
6.- be patient (if you are doing solo bgs, and you loose too often you will be pissed, it happens, but its is luck really, dont need to yell you noobs every time you lose)
7.- be cooperative( build your talent tree the way you considerate helps or support others cuze its better serve as a bait than a free kill, then when you have full pvp gear you can change it and do other stuff if you wanna.

Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
In the past I would go for the pieces that I could get the most resiliance out of when I buy pieces with honor points. Similarly since its a little easier for some of my characters to earn JP over the HP, I will cap out on JP and then go buy my HP for a 350 JP to 250 HP conversion and get all the pieces I can via this method until I don't feel like I'm a clothy in plate (unless I happen to be a clothy.... then I want to feel like a clothy wearing plate)

Items that use a very rare stat (spell penetration) for caster DPS are always a great thing to get quickly as they will help you be able to burn your opponent faster even if you are squishier than the bag portion of a bagpipe.

When going from honor to conquest grade gear, I look for any slots that are missing at least an honor grade PVP item and prioritize gearing for those slots, then look for any of the remaining slots that need to be upgraded from the honor version to the conquest version later down the road (and you can buy 250 Conquest for 250 Valor if your one of the people who don't need valor for anything else and don't want to sell bracers/boots).

And as a quick side note to those buying the crafted PVP items for PVE purposes: Don't do this. The stats on the items are meant to help you survive player vs player combat and resilience is a wasted stat in player vs environment type content and will cause you to suffer in your intended role (especially as a healer/tank). If your going to buy the PVP crafted items, use them for their intended purposes and go beat up on members of (insert opposing faction here) in the battle grounds.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Converting Valor to Conquest will get you no where fast. If you do this you are going to have pvp gear you don't know what to do with. Learn to pvp whether that means countless battlegrounds, or try starting a 2v2 team with a friend. LEARN CC'S they make pvp, not most damage done, and PLEASE learn to ninja cap. Ninja capping is by far the one of the best pvp tactics one can have ever since the capture times were recently lowered.

~For the Alliance!~
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
What I seen most do is get the five main pieces of conquest pieces first then go for the off pieces.

Most stay away from legs and hands since you get a chance at BH. Head, chest or shoulders first. If you're really unlucky then hands and legs.

Then go for trinket and when available immediately the weapons.

A really good answer, but you and a few others have concentrated on the weapon and i am not sure why? The honor weapon is pretty meh, Even the conquest weapon does not seem that great in comparison to a deathwing lfr weapon at least for non-physical dps classes.

I spent some time this week thing about jewelry vs relics vs weapon vs belt/bracer/boots this weekend and in the end went for relic/jewelry in the hope that I get lucky with BH.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
With my experience(What little I have :P):

1. Purchase the blue crafted gear (as stated above)
2. Make sure you ALWAYS queue up for TB and WG when you're online. WG still gives good honor and it does not take long to win as few people participate now.
3. Make sure you do at least 1 BG a day to get the 270 honor and 100 conquest
4. Find friends to play with, get in skype or vent etc. with them and you'll have a much more enjoyable experience.

As for gear purchasing(talking strictly honor gear, as we're talking about helping those new to pvp):

1. pvp trinket FIRST!! The resil. is amazing and you can use it to get out of fear etc...
2. 2 pieces of the set, pref. Gloves (as they give an additional equip bonus) and whatever piece will improve your resil the most.
3. Weapon. (most people put this first but honestly, trinket and 2 set is more important and really doesn't take too long)
4. 4 set, then move to whatever improves your resil. etc. the most. (rings, another trinket etc etc)

I didn't read through all the posts on this thread so if I've been repetitive on what everyone else has been posting, I apologize! Hope this helps at least one person :)
Edited by Ryosuki on 2/8/2012 9:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Well what i do is to get all PVP blue as i can, then replace the ones that are not pvp, i like to save some JP points and convert to honor
-Priority is to get 2 pieces of your set to get those +400 of resil that helps a lot
- when you go to bg don't say just one one place, you won't get enough honor if you do so you need to be active and keep moving defending helping..that is what i do

but there is a problem converting you lose some points i don't see the point there
375 JP to 250 honor points that should be fixed
Edited by Bloodydark on 2/8/2012 9:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
#1 - Look for a guy named Rathamus from Nathrezim.

#2 - Play horde.

#3 - Play Rath strat AV's with him.

#4 - collect 600+ honor from 1 win.

#5 - profit!

No in all seriousness thou. AV farming for the horde is the best way to go. If you're horde and you're seriously into PvP look for info on the "Rath Strat AV" or "Rathamus Strat AV". There's enough info out there that you can effectively use this strat to your advantage in gearing. I don't wanna say too much as I don't want those filthy alliance finding out our dirty little secret! =P
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
02/08/2012 09:39 PMPosted by Mythox
if you re near to hit 85, get 4000 honor cap before it, this way saves at least some bg one shots cuze you dont have gear,

/agree it really helps if your lvling a character and be honor capped it helps then maybe if you have some money buy some PVP blue's from the AH that should at-lease give you a good boost in the new pvp realm. but always travel with someone never go alone and ALWAYS kill the healer first!! :)
Reply Quote
#1 - Look for a guy named Rathamus from Nathrezim.

#2 - Play horde.

#3 - Play Rath strat AV's with him.

#4 - collect 600+ honor from 1 win.

#5 - profit!

No in all seriousness thou. AV farming for the horde is the best way to go. If you're horde and you're seriously into PvP look for info on the "Rath Strat AV" or "Rathamus Strat AV". There's enough info out there that you can effectively use this strat to your advantage in gearing. I don't wanna say too much as I don't want those filthy alliance finding out our dirty little secret! =P

Thanks, I'm studying it now.
As an avid strategist-- hey, I beat Fire Emblem 776, I'll be dismantling your ideas and shutting it down. :P
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
The best way to quickly farm up honor is through Call to Arms and Tol Barad. Winning an attacking Tol Barad is easily worth 600 honor plus gains from towers and kills, and winning a defensive battle isn’t worth much less. Even losing a Tol Barad battle is usually worth 200 honor or more.

Tol barad depends on the server, their is the advantage/loophole that you can queue for a bg and tol barad at the same time. But on an alliance heavy server its not unusual for me to spend 2-4 30-45 minute sessions in queue just to enter a single tol barad.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Buying crafted pvp gear or have a guildie or friend make a set, which provides the 2 piece bonus of 400 resilience is the fastest way to start gearing.

What pieces you replace are personal preferences. some may chose to replace pieces without resilience first, or aim for the 4 piece bonus immediately.

I prefer to get resilience in every slot first, with the possible exception of a good pve weapon and or trink, prioritizing pieces with armor first, and spell pen depending on pvp role.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Converting Valor to Conquest will get you no where fast. If you do this you are going to have pvp gear you don't know what to do with. Learn to pvp whether that means countless battlegrounds, or try starting a 2v2 team with a friend. LEARN CC'S they make pvp, not most damage done, and PLEASE learn to ninja cap. Ninja capping is by far the one of the best pvp tactics one can have ever since the capture times were recently lowered.

~For the Alliance!~

I recommend it for more Geared people in pve that have some knowledge of their class. But your right knowing your class is a big thing. Knowing is half the battle
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]