Keyboard macros

90 Troll Warlock
I just got a Razer Blackwidow keyboard and on the left side there are 5 buttons (M1-M5), I'm assuming that they mean Macro 1-Macro 5. Am I allowed to use those in game?
Reply Quote
55 Draenei Death Knight
yes as long as they arent programmed to scripts that repeat themselves automatically.

for example, i use a logitech g15 and my macro keys are bounded to key combinations like ctrl+shift+a , ctrl+shift+b, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
You can bind to them no problem. If you're talking about using customized macros, that's fine as well. However, it cannot perform any functions different than what you could script using the in-game /macro command.

The folks over in the UI and Macros forum would be able to help with any questions creating macros to use with your new keyboard.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
yes as long as they arent programmed to scripts that repeat themselves automatically.

for example, i use a logitech g15 and my macro keys are bounded to key combinations like ctrl+shift+a , ctrl+shift+b, etc.

Yeah... I just want to mute/unmute the sound, because there isn't a separate button on this keyboard.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
You need to be careful about assigning a key binding to any key that may have an auto repeat function . Even if you turn off the Auto function of the key, sometimes it will glitch, and turns itself back on, tripping Warden.

Also: Most of players we see here, who get in trouble for the "cheating software," do so unknowingly though use of these device's macros systems. Because they saw one of these "Reviewers" do it in their video, or on the manufacture’s Macro forum, the believe they are OK to use.

While Razor Nor other manufactures do not officially condones the use of Automatic game play macros, A lot of their "reviewers" do, in the "Reviewer's" YouTube Videos. They call them "Background Macros." Again if you can not do it with an in-game macro, you can not do on these devices out of game Macros.

While a manufacture may have licensed a "WoW Edition" of their programmable gaming keyboard, &/or gaming mice, it does not mean that they are designed to be solely used For WoW. If someone shells out around a 100 bucks for one you would want it to be useable for other games as well. Some games(such as Single player games) allow a certain amount of automation, where as Blizzard does not.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
You need to be careful about assigning a key binding to any key that may have an auto repeat function . Even if you turn off the Auto function of the key, sometimes it will glitch, and turns itself back on, tripping Warden.

Also: Most of players we see here, who get in trouble for the "cheating software," do so unknowingly though use of these device's macros systems. Because they saw one of these "Reviewers" do it in their video, or on the manufacture’s Macro forum, the believe they are OK to use.

While Razor Nor other manufactures do not officially condones the use of Automatic game play macros, A lot of their "reviewers" do, in the "Reviewer's" YouTube Videos. They call them "Background Macros." Again if you can not do it with an in-game macro, you can not do on these devices out of game Macros.

While a manufacture may have licensed a "WoW Edition" of their programmable gaming keyboard, &/or gaming mice, it does not mean that they are designed to be solely used For WoW. If someone shells out around a 100 bucks for one you would want it to be useable for other games as well. Some games(such as Single player games) allow a certain amount of automation, where as Blizzard does not.

Meh, I just needed a mute/unmute button, but apparently you can't do that, so I just deleted all the other ones, because I don't need them.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Well, you kinda can.

If you bound one of the keys to trigger [Alt]+S and [Alt]+M at the same time, that would disable sound and music within the client without breaking any rules. That is, of course, assuming you have left those keybinds as default - if you've changed them (which would probably be a good idea anyway since S is a movement key) than you'd have to adjust the macro accordingly.

If you want something more global (ie Will completely mute WoW, all addons, and everything else in Windows) than you'll need the assistance of a 3rd party tool. Myself, I use one called AutoHotKey_L (it's an offshoot of the discontinued AutoHotKey program). I don't know if you can directly program it to the Macro keys or if you have to assign them to a button combination first, but you could redirect one of them easily to the Volume_Mute command.
Edited by Asterchades on 2/12/2012 11:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
87 Troll Hunter
02/12/2012 10:29 PMPosted by Ewing

I've had a G15 keyboard, and a G500 mouse for years. I've never seen, nor heard of this happening. In point of fact, for both of those products, auto repeat is something you have to activate, not deactivate.

I suspect someone claiming it 'accidentally and totally not on purpose, turned itself back on' was being less than honest.

I will, however, stipulate that it's entirely possible that I have just been remarkably lucky. I would just be skeptical of that is all.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
That part is actualy True.. this was a long time ago, but remember a blue post on it confirming.

Things like the G series keyboard, have the keys you can program.

As long as you program them just that key G1 = this one ability/keybind, you are 100% ok.

But the G series has built in macro editors.. where you can put in Kybind one, pause pause, keybind 2, etc.

THIS would be automotion. THis is against the rules. While i havent seen a case of the G series software just itself tripping warden (run it myself), it is entirely possible somehow when those macros are ran, they could trip it somehow.
Reply Quote
61 Worgen Priest
02/13/2012 06:47 AMPosted by Mokti
I suspect someone claiming it 'accidentally and totally not on purpose, turned itself back on' was being less than honest.

We have not seen much of it in a long time but it has happened in the past.
02/13/2012 07:25 AMPosted by Reenela
hat part is actualy True.. this was a long time ago, but remember a blue post on it confirming.

Yes it was on the old forums a lot. Maybe they have changed something in the firmware since then? I am not sure. I do remember when people would post that they got suspensions for certain things and didn't know why. One of the questions the CS reps would ask if they used specific G-series keyboards. So they were aware of issues. Again tho, I have not see it in a long time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I have an old Logitech gaming mouse, it originally had an auto repeat feature, that kept turning itself back on even though I disabled it. However Logitech corrected it with a software update. So while it currently is very unlikely to happen, it is still possible.
Reply Quote
87 Troll Hunter
But the G series has built in macro editors.. where you can put in Kybind one, pause pause, keybind 2, etc.

THIS would be automotion. THis is against the rules. While i havent seen a case of the G series software just itself tripping warden (run it myself), it is entirely possible somehow when those macros are ran, they could trip it somehow.

That's not actually accurate. So long as your programmed macro doesn't do anything that the in game macros can do, you're fine. I can program a key to cast Hunter's Mark on my current target, and send my pet in to attack, and I will not be banned. It's when you use the functions that allow you to get around the GCD that things start to go bad.

Now, to be fair, I would recommend against the type of key macro that I just talked about. You're locking yourself into that macro, and removing a LOT of the flexibility that the programmable keys gives you. You are, in my opinion, much better off binding them to keystrokes and in game, binding that keystroke to a macro. This affords you a lot of flexibility across characters.

For instance, I use the addon Livestock, which allows me to bind a keystroke to it's Random Mount feature. I bound that to Ctrl-Alt-Shift-M, and programmed my G500s mousewheel-RghtClick to that keystroke. This allows me to use that feature across all my characters without specifically programming it each time. My G15s M1 keys are programmed to Alt1 through Alt=, and one of my action bars are bound to those keystrokes as well. So, all of my characters can slot whichever abilities I need into that bar, and the M1 keys all work, regardless of which character I'm playing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]