Academic study about WoW - get a game card!

90 Blood Elf Hunter
Hiya, everyone!

I'm a PhD candidate at Colorado State and I'm just beginning my doctoral dissertation research on how WoW players think and feel about their avatars and what it means for senses of identity in virtual worlds. I'm looking for participants on Destromath and Tichondrius relams (Horde or Alliance ... doesn't matter).

I've dubbed this study the AMPER Project: Avatars in Multi-Player Environments Research.

You can go to my snazzy web site for full details: www.amperjay.com

Part 1: A survey: The 10-15 minute survey is open to any WoW player (so please pass it along to your friends!). In the survey, you'll be asked questions about yourself, how you like to play WoW, and about your favorite avatar.
The payoff: everyone who completes the survey will be entered in a drawing for one year of pre-paid game time.

Part 2: Interviews: Based on responses to the survey, 20-30 people will be selected to participate in the second phase of the study. If selected, you'll be asked to do an interview over Skype where we'll talk more in-depth about your avatars and your experiences in WoW. Then, in a second session, you'll pick something for us to do in-game and we'll chat about avatars some more and how it has a place in the WoW universe.
The payoff: everyone who completes the interview phase of the study will be given a guaranteed one-month game card.

Through the whole study, as always, any information you submit will be confidential. As social scientists, we are held to high standards of ethics, lawfulness, and good science. The project has been approved by Colorado State University's review board and adheres to federal standards for protecting your rights and your privacy as a research participant.

I promise - no scams, no need to enter account info, nothing shady. I'm a researcher - it's my job - I wouldn't put my own account or my career at risk.

You can take the survey and (if you wish) sign up to do the interviews at the web site: www.amperjay.com

If you have any questions at all, please let me know. Thanks! :)

PS - tell your friends and guildies!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
P.S. ... I'm xfering an Alli hunter over to Destro for the study ... looking for a guild!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Woooo
Reply Quote
I filled it out I will let you guys know if it's legit.
Reply Quote
87 Pandaren Warrior
Completed. I actually think this is a great idea for your dissertation.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Thanks for your help! Please spread the word ... I'm getting a *great* response across the board, but I especially need people on Destromath and Tichondrius servers (since they're the realms on which I have higher-level toons). I'll sacrifice a murloc for every person you tell. :) Thanks!
Reply Quote
I have paladins everywhere including here. Real ID this patch allows you to form raid groups cross realm to do old raids and battlegrounds which were specified in the application as part of phase 2.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Definitely ... and that will work for some participants (and I'm totally making exceptions) but for others, they may want to go fishing, or world PvP, or other activities that require both avi's to been on the same realm. But thanks for the suggestion and for lookin' out. :)
Reply Quote
I got no response from this person at all
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
What is the field that you are pursuing your PhD in?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]