@All New Suramar Players - Welcome & Help

90 Night Elf Priest
Hello everyone - I'm recently back to the game after about a 3 year hiatus. This time my wife, daughter and I are playing on this server. We started a small guild just for our family.

I was wondering if any shadow priests might give me a few pointers on if they see their mana pools draining really fast. I can only sustain about 3 rounds of mobs before I have to drink. When I switch to Holy I have much better control over my mana pool.
I'm in mostly all greens as we typically just do quests and crafting in our time online.

I'm playing a priest so I can heal my wife and daughter if necessary as one is a druid and the other a hunter.
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Priest
@Mandis

I don't have a tonne of experience with Shadow spec (this guy is mainly Holy, I have a Shadow spec for questing/messing around), but if I remember right, Shadow is very mana thirsty at lower levels.

It does get better as you level, though. Welcome to Suramar!Also, I'd like to thank PewPew for this thread. It's always nice to hear about some other nice players out there, especially on our own realm(s).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Hello everyone - I'm recently back to the game after about a 3 year hiatus. This time my wife, daughter and I are playing on this server. We started a small guild just for our family.

I was wondering if any shadow priests might give me a few pointers on if they see their mana pools draining really fast. I can only sustain about 3 rounds of mobs before I have to drink. When I switch to Holy I have much better control over my mana pool.
I'm in mostly all greens as we typically just do quests and crafting in our time online.

I'm playing a priest so I can heal my wife and daughter if necessary as one is a druid and the other a hunter.

Well I haven't levelled a priest since the Shattering, but if it's anything like it was when I levelled my priest in tBC the key to maintaining mana at lower levels doing solo is to pull stuff slowly and use your spells efficiently. DoTs aren't great for low/medium health targets as they don't get to fully tick all their damage and you still end up spending mana on them as if they were. Obviously, if you are in danger of dying you should be using your Improved Devouring Plague nuke and anything else you might have handy.

Shadowform is very important, it increases your damage, lowers the damage you take and best of all makes all the crappy looking low level gear look great!

Remember that with the Masochism talent you'll get back mana from using SW:D and getting backlash damage, also if you have Glyph of Spirit Tap you'll net 12% of your max mana if you kill with SW:D. You should already be able to afford to grab Pain and Suffering which will reduce that SW:D backlash by a lot.

Vampiric Touch and Mind Blast can be relatively mana efficient, but you probably shouldn't cast them below 50% on a weak mob.

Mind Flay is your cheapest spell and serves the dual purpose of keeping mobs off you by lowering their movement speed.

Make sure Inner Fire and Vampiric Embrace are up at all times and use PW:S sparingly, because it's really expensive now, along with the other healing spells, so if you are going to heal do it in holy or disco spec.

You probably will need to eat/drink a bit but far less than a mage of the same level, and as you get higher you'll have mana cooldowns to use in combat like Dispersion, Shadowfiend, Archangel and Hymn of Hope.

You'll probably get better advice on the priest forums or on http://www.howtopriest.com/ if you make your post there.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]