How is my build?

85 Tauren Warrior
I primarily play MMOs. For this most part this has meant WoW (which isn't especially taxing on the PC.. I know). However, I plan to play Guild Wars 2/FFXIV 2.0 - also getting Diablo III - and would like a PC that's going to run them exceptionally well. Nonetheless, I do go for other genres like FPS (COD MW 3). I'de like the PC to be able to handle most games at max (or high) settings with high FPS (on a high resolution).

I don't do any video editing/rendering or anything of the like. Standard stuff aside from gaming.

Would like to keep it under $2000.

How is this build?

EDIT 3/3** SEE PAGE 6 FOR UPDATED BUILD

Thank you for any input :)!
Edited by Ult on 3/2/2012 9:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
It should be mentioned that Intel is releasing it's new series of Processors, Ivy Bridge. These will cost around the same as current processors, but perform at least 10% better. So you can either wait ~2 months, or buy a throw-away CPU now and upgrade later.

I agree with Pyroism on the power supply. This one will handle any single card system, short of ones with extremely high end video cards, and is only $60 after a rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
02/13/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Pyropism
Personally, i'd downsize the Video card and save some money, and i'd downgrade the power sup to 800W. You don't need 1000 unless you're going to crossfire the 7XXX series Radeon's. Which, you won't need to do for another 4 years. :P

Thanks. I had originally chosen an 850 W Corsaire power supply, but I found this Coolermaster 1000W (and I know coolermaster is a pretty good brand - not gonna kill my pc) with a $30 mail-in rebate - making it actually CHEAPER than the 850W.

I chose the 7950 because it seems to beat the lower priced GTX 570/580 in that it uses LESS power and has MORE performance. That seems worth the extra $90 or so from the GTX 570. Seems like a good balance and while still being about $100-150 less than 7970 and who knows much less than the 7990 that's coming out soon.

Nonetheless I will consider dropping to 800W supply. Don't plan to crossfire the Radeon 7000s anytime soon. However, doing so in 2 years when they are even cheaper doesn't seem unfathomable - which is why I considered upping the power supply. $0-40 more for a 1000W supply rather than having to pay some $100+ on getting an entirely new supply later.

EDIT* Also keep in mind that my original budget plan going into this was below $2000. With these parts (AMD/1000W supply) the total comes to $1533 with a discount code. That doesn't mean I'm not open to reducing the price tag further (who wants to spend more money for the hell of it, lol :) ), just saying I'm substantially below budget and open to paying extra for abit of a bump
Edited by Ult on 2/13/2012 10:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
It should be mentioned that Intel is releasing it's new series of Processors, Ivy Bridge. These will cost around the same as current processors, but perform at least 10% better. So you can either wait ~2 months, or buy a throw-away CPU now and upgrade later. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035

I've been keeping Ivy Bridge in mind as well - might hold off. I'm not sure if they're going to give that much if a performance bump though - can you cite where you read that? I've heard mostly that the Ivy Bridge processors will be more efficient in power consumption and best for systems that run on batteries (laptops) while providing no more than a very small bump in performance.

The only reason I consider waiting for it is because it's not that far off (I heard they are being released around April). But I feel if I were to ALREADY have a PC with Sandy Bridge it wouldn't really be worth replacing. Nonetheless I think the Motherboard I chose will allow for an Ivy Bridge should I choose to get Sandy and then dump it for the new one?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
$0-40 more for a 1000W supply rather than having to pay some $100+ on getting an entirely new supply later.

In the years you'll be overpowering your computer you'll have already used more than $100 in electricity that you didn't need during that time though. But if you're not paying the bills... go nuts! :D

Not entirely sure about this. A PSU will only draw as much power as is being used. Say the various parts of your computer draw 600 watts...that would only be a problem if you had only a 500 watt PSU. If they made a 1,000,000 watt PSU for the computer the PSU would still only draw the 600 watts that are needed. I don't think it means that it will be drawing 1,000,000 W (or 1000kW, lol) constantly.
Edited by Ult on 2/13/2012 11:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Benchmarks-Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-sandy-bridge,14144.html

That was just from a quick google. There's more out there, but I'll explain. It's not just the increase in raw performance. The fact that they will run cooler and use less power means there will be a lot more potential for overclocking, increasing their performance even more.

As for the motherboards, although there will be specific motherboards release for Ivy Bridge, current Z68 motherboards(with the exception of a certain brand, Gigabyte I believe)will support Ivy Bridge with a simple BIOS update.

So you could buy a cheap CPU like Pentium G630 and a good motherboard. When Ivy Bridge comes releases, you take out the Pentium, and either sell it, toss it, let it sit, whatever. Then you would plop in an Ivy Bridge.

The other option would be to wait for Ivy Bridge. Personally, I would wait since it's only ~2 months. Buying a throw-away CPU for like $70 seems like sort of a waste since you will only use it for 2 months, but is an option for those who can't wait. If you can, might as well. You would be getting a nice performance increase for no extra money spent.

Or you could get Sandy Bridge now. A 2500k is simply a beast. OC it to 4.2Ghz, you won't need a better processor for years. It's up to you I guess. I bought a 2500k in August, and it handles everything with no sweat. But if I was buying now, I would probably wait. Your choice though.

EDIT - Actually, a power supply can't throttle down. A 1000W will constantly be drawing more than a 600W, it can't bring itself down to the 600W's level. I'm 99% sure of this. Kalganized can confirm.
Edited by Minerrva on 2/13/2012 11:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
That was just from a quick google. There's more out there, but I'll explain. It's not just the increase in raw performance. The fact that they will run cooler and use less power means there will be a lot more potential for overclocking, increasing their performance even more.

I see. I didn't think about it this way but it makes complete sense - Thanks :). In terms of the motherboard though - I heard that the Z68 motherboards will work for it too, but that they won't support them "entirely". I'm not quite sure where I read that, will look again - might be completely wrong. I'm just wondering if new motherboards will be released immediately upon release of the Ivy Bridge or - if not - should I wait even longer to get a motherboard that's not going to take advantage of the CPU's full potential.

EDIT in response to your EDIT :):

EDIT - Actually, a power supply can't throttle down. A 1000W will constantly be drawing more than a 600W, it can't bring itself down to the 600W's level. I'm 99% sure of this. Kalganized can confirm.

Hmm. Perhaps I didn't quite understand it properly then. If this is the case, then the 1000W PSU will be constantly drawing 1000W from my power outlet, but the various parts will still only be receiving what they use? What I mean is, some electricity will indeed be wasted, but it WON'T be "overpowering" the system as Pyropism suggests and provide TOO MUCH power to the individual parts (and thus overheat them or something).
Edited by Ult on 2/13/2012 11:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Power supplies need to convert the power from the outlet into something that the computer can use (AC->DC conversion). During the conversion, there is some power loss, so the power supply always draws bit more power than the power actually required.

High-quality power supply tries to maintain high level of efficiency by minimizing electricity waste (that happens due to the conversion), but the most optimal level of efficiency is reached by having components draw about ~80% of total capacity of the power supply, generally. Differs by power supply by power supply however.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Thanks. Still undecided about the power supply though. Part of me likes the comfort of knowing I have MORE than necessary if I ever decide to add a second high-end card.

I can't really seem to pick a good case. I like this Azza - seems to have superior airflow with all those fans (though some people complain that the fans are weak), but I just don't like the way it looks.

Many recommend the Coolermaster HAF 912, and I like the way it looks. Just unsure about mid towers. Should I decide to get a second high end card + have a 1000W PSU + a cooling unit for the overclocked CPU, will it even all fit in a mid tower like HAF 912? It's similar to my dilemma with the PSU - I like the comfort of having a full tower knowing I can load it up with the most obnoxiously huge parts and still have everything fit fine.

Can you recommend any other good full tower options?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
A HAF 912 is more roomy than you think:

http://img.techpowerup.org/100927/IMG_20100927_141711.jpg
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
That top HDD cage is removable as well, as well as that SSD cage by the bottom.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/117sj.jpg/

That graphics card (which I'll hopefully be replacing this week) is about 7 in. long, or just under 18 cm.
Edited by Aeox on 2/13/2012 7:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
89 Undead Warlock

That graphics card (which I'll hopefully be replacing this week) is about 7 in. long, or just under 9 cm.

7 inches is 17.8 cm.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight

That graphics card (which I'll hopefully be replacing this week) is about 7 in. long, or just under 9 cm.

7 inches is 17.8 cm.

Fixed o.O . Misread my tape measurer, it goes 7 8 9 10 and then back to 1, LOL
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
By the way Aeox, it is possible AMD will drop the price of a 7950 by nearly $100 when Kepler comes out.

Reason being:

Radeon 7870 is expected to cost $250. This means there is an empty gap of $250 ~ $450, then you have a 7950.

Just a rumor though.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
I've been debating on getting a cheaper card anyways and waiting until Kepler comes out, because I really don't need the power of a 7950/7970 until this summer, when I'll be doing Eyefinity. Not quite sure yet.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
EDIT** This is the OP - switched characters without realizing.

Thanks guys :).

I've decided that I'm going to hold off for 2 months or so. Like some of you have said, the Ivy Bridge i5-3570K will likely be released early to mid April. By then, the new nvidia cards might be available or we might at least know more about pricing and comparison to the new Radeons.

I also don't have any particular need for the new PC right at this moment to justify not being patient. The games that I'm interested in (Diablo III/Guild Wars 2/FFXIV 2.0/SC II Expansion) aren't slated to be released until starting from 2 months from now (if were that lucky for Diablo III, lol) to the end of the year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As for this HAF 912 case - man, everyone just seems to recommend it - definitely going to take a much more thorough look at it. Kalganized, I'm not sure that image gives me the impression that it's roomy. Perhaps it's because I've been looking at images of full tower insides. The bay is removable, yes, but if I'm putting in an HDD and and SSD won't I need to keep it in there? Looks like there's only one drive in that image. It does look like a second card (say a 2nd 7950) will fit in there but it's hard to tell. Also, should I choose to go with a 1000W power supply it seems it will be getting cramped fast. Maybe it will be cozy rather than cramped though.

Looking at the dimensions: HAF has 19.50" x 9.10" x 18.90" while Azza has 21.6" x 10" x 23.2", this makes the HAF look like a fair cutback in space.

I laugh a little because I've asked on a couple forums now for some other FULL tower recommendations, and people respond telling me to get the HAF 912 even though it's a mid. I guess it's just that popular, haha :). I will take a more thorough look at it.
Edited by Ultmage on 2/13/2012 8:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
In the picture I linked, you might have noticed another enclosure next to the power supply. SSD will be going in there. HDD will be going in to the one next to it. So the upper HDD casing can be removed unless if you will have more than 2 hard drives.

Most graphics cards are only two slots thick.

1000W power supplies aren't that big.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]