How is my build?

90 Night Elf Priest
I think this may have been said but my corsair vengeance only allows me to position my CM hyper 212 in what i would call a vertical position in side my antec 900 case. I have't had any problems with heat at all so far. Different MOBO from mine may resolve this tho.

i7 2600k
Asus p8z68 v lx
CM hyper 212
16g corsair vengeance
crucial m4 128
evga gtx 560ti 2 gig
older antec 900 case
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yep, that's why I always ask people to be wary of buying a Corsair Vengeance RAM with tall heatsink. Ult has chosen low-profile version to avoid that problem. :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Sorry should came here before my build :)
I appolige i should looked up the #s before rattlin outta my butt

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Damn. Wthin 2 days Newegg ups the price of the SSD I was going to buy from $295 to $339. My friend was also going to buy a laptop that they had for $650, and when he checked it 3 days later it was $750.

Are these kinds of annoying price fluctuations common with Newegg?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes, and is so with lot of other places too. It's common, sadly. So you gotta seize the deal when you see it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I'm not sure what to do about the SSD now. Is it worth waiting again to see if it goes back to $295? I'm afraid if I do that though, it may go UP even more. I did find it for $329 on Amazon, however.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148443

Also, do you think it's worth getting that 600W PSU that's on sale now? PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III
59.99 - 79.99 before rebate.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, normally they cost more than 500W version. Seize the deal before it goes away.

There's also a hard drive deal, but it ends today. It's a Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM drive. With a discount code, price is reduced to $100. You have to buy it NOW though.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Going to purchase the 256GB Crucial m4 SSD for $329 on Amazon (currently the cheapest). Just also found out that my credit card is giving 5% cash back for all Amazon purchases until the end of March.

As for the Power Supply - yuck, I didn't know it was white. Even though it's not like I will be starting at, I just can't stand white-colored parts. This actually makes me not want to buy it, lol.

Are there any others that you'd recommend that are normal-looking (to power a system with one high-end card, like 7970)? :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Have some good and bad news -

Good: Oddly enough, that 256GB Crucial M4 SSD that I mentioned is now going for $279.99 on Newegg! It's hard to believe that, 2 days ago, it was $295 and YESTERDAY it was $349. Had I bought it yesterday - $70 would have gone down the drain. I snagged it today for $279.99. I find it suprising, again, that there are such price fluctuations day by day on that site.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148443

Bad: When going to make my first purchase, Newegg attempted to charge me sales tax. What's really annoying is that Newegg only collects sales tax for the THREE states that it had some sort of physical presence in. One of these states (New Jersey) is my permanent address and where I plan to build the computer. Of course I have to reside in one of the three out of fifty states.

http://www.newegg.com/Info/FAQTax.aspx

I've found a way to avoid this. I'm a college student and my college address is in D.C. Thus, when they ship it to D.C. they don't collect a sales tax. The problem is that I go back to NJ in the summer and I was planning to build the PC there. Now for the sake of saving money (it would be about an added $100 on a $1500 system), I'm going to have all the parts shipped to D.C. This is problematic because I travel to NJ via train and have no idea how I'm going to transport the parts.

Perhaps I should look into making some purchases elsewhere as well. Any recommendations? I think Amazon does not collect the tax. Can't really find many other places where the actual cost of the part is cheaper than Newegg though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Try pcpartpicker.com website
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I've seen you mention Microcenter a few times and that they sell things cheaper. Currently they are about $40.00 cheaper than Newegg on i5-2500k. Are they always cheaper, and do you think they will be cheaper than most with Ivy Bridge i5-3570k (for in-store pickup)? There is one about an hour away, via public transportation, from my DC location.

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
MicroCenter is only cheap with CPU + Motherboard combo. Everything else they sell is overpriced.

And yes, they should offer i5-3570K for cheaper.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I don't understand when it says the power supply is "compatible" with i3, i5, and i7 processors. I thought all the power supply does it deliver power if you have the right connectors and it doesn't matter at all what the other parts are. Does this mean it may not be "compatible" with the newer i5 models?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Compatible-platforms/dp/B004LB5AZY
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
No, it will be compatible. Power supply standards change very slowly.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I now have a $130 Amazon gift card that I didn't have before. I was planning to buy a good deal of the parts off of Amazon anyway, but now that I have this gift card I'm just thinking about what luxury I could add to the build next (lol).

Or I could simply just take it as $130 in savings.... but yeah I'm not like that :).

So far the only thing I've been considering is going with a Cooler Master HAF X (instead of 932 or Antec). This is only an added $40 or so over the 932 ($30 over antec) on Amazon. I haven't really looked into how much it differs from the 932, but I really like that cover it has for the cables coming out of the power supply, and it seems to be even bigger yet. Since I haven't built a PC before, excessive space appeals to me because (I think?) it should make it a fair bit easier to put together/make future modifications.

Perhaps taking a higher watt power supply would be best, I don't know. I suppose what I'm asking is - is there anything else I can add that will make a significant difference (for performance/quality/anything)? Or I have I reached the point where adding anything else is just pointless.

Build repost incoming with the HAF X, different power supply, and updated SSD included.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Build Version 4

Rebates factored in.

Case: Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower w/ SuperSpeed USB 3.0 w/ Window w/ Black Interior ATX Case - $184.99

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SuperSpeed-Interior-RC-942-KKN1/dp/B003S68Q0Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330749995&sr=1-1

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K – $229.99 (estimated)

Cooling Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - $34.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory - $49.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

Motherboard (TENTATIVE - Z77): ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard – $149.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157265

Video Card (TENTATIVE - Kepler): HIS H797F3G2M Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - $557.86 (including shipping)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121485

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2 - $89.99

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Compatible-platforms/dp/B004LB5AZY

Hard Drive: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $279.99 (already purchased)

+$20 for a DVD drive.

TOTAL: $1597.79 - $130 for gift card = $1467.79

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited by Ult on 3/2/2012 9:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's nothing else you can really do for it. Maybe consider a better monitor / keyboard / mouse / speakers?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Yeah. I've been thinking about getting a nice monitor (perhaps 27 inch or maybe 24 if they exist). It's superfluous however because back home I already have two monitors, both 21/22 inch (though one is 5 years old and the other is quite cheap and I don't like it that much).

I think I would actually prefer to have one larger monitor rather than two smaller ones. Any monitors of this size that you would recommend?

There seems to be a lot of fuss lately about "HD" monitors. What exactly makes a monitor qualify as "HD"? It connects with an HDMI cable? It has a certain resolution?

Mouse - I'm good with this - currently using a Razor Naga.

Keyboard - I haven't really though about that much. I'm getting rid of my old desktop so I may need a new keyboard entirely. The one I had was just the base dell one. Is it worth getting any sort of special gaming keyboard? I've always found a plain keyboard to be just fine, but maybe it's worth trying a new type.

Speakers - Didn't even think about this at all. This is a similar situation to the keyboard. Will probably need new speakers. Come to think of it, do I need to purchase a sound card for the PC? I think my old desktop had one. The speakers had this huge box with them too (I think a subwoofer or something) which I found annoying. What are some good speakers?
Edited by Ult on 3/2/2012 9:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sizes past 24" tend to be lot more expensive. You should consider getting an IPS panel based monitor, like Dell U2412M (there are few others too).

"Full HD" is just a gimmick, but when it comes to monitors with that designation that the monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080.

I'd check out mechanical keyboards, they are supposed to be pretty damn good.

Motherboard's integrated audio is sufficient unless if you are an audiophile. I unfortunately can't say for the quality, as 2.1 setup I have right now is plenty good enough for me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]