Ironman Challenge FAQ

(Sticky)

90 Human Paladin
So.. I don't know about this last quest I'm doing where you have to go into deadmines to do the quest. I'm not sure if that'll mark me down but I'm avoiding it. http://www.wowhead.com/quest=26320. Just to check me, click the link and all and see the quest... it makes you go into the dungeon and one of the rules is no dungeons.. but I'm not killing anything or.. doing anything.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
So.. I don't know about this last quest I'm doing where you have to go into deadmines to do the quest. I'm not sure if that'll mark me down but I'm avoiding it. http://www.wowhead.com/quest=26320. Just to check me, click the link and all and see the quest... it makes you go into the dungeon and one of the rules is no dungeons.. but I'm not killing anything or.. doing anything.
Some points here.

As I'm sure you're aware, normally you have to group to do a dungeon... and grouping isn't allowed by the rules. You could actually travel to the instance entrance and "solo" it, but as they're designed for group play, you would have to seriously outlevel the dungeon to handle it... and still have any chance of not blowing the "no death" rule.

Entering a "dungeon" as part of a quest is generally allowed as it is considered a quest activity not a dungeon, if you see what I mean.

But, be aware that many of these "go into a cave..." sort of quests can be very deadly and a number of previous IMC participants recommended avoiding them where possible. As the rewards for doing them are pretty useless (can't use most of the gear, potions, etc.) and the $, though nice, isn't needed nearly as badly as regular play, the incentive to risk toon death just to complete a quest chain is pretty low. It's generally considered "the better part of valor" to leave a quest chain incomplete and move on in other ways than take the risk.

Some quests (don't know if this one is such a case) actually require you to "die" (the questgiver "kills you" to send your spirit somewhere) to complete. These quests will in fact cause your "deaths" counter to click up, meaning you've now become 'disqualified' on the www.ironman.com tracking site. Be very, very careful about reading quest text before committing...

Hope that helps.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Hunter
hey does anyone know if the gold you get from the blingtron disqualifies you just started and at level 12 got over 400g from the blingtrons
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
hey does anyone know if the gold you get from the blingtron disqualifies you just started and at level 12 got over 400g from the blingtrons
The gold "issue" was put in place early on to prevent people from using alts to give their IRC toon a 'leg up' in buying some money based advantages (upper level grey/white gear, etc.). This was also, I believe, before the Blingtron 4000 was added to the game so the Blingtron wasn't considered in the process....?

The rules say "no undue assistance", meaning essentially you can't xfer stuff ($ or gear) from one of your other toons, or receive stuff from other people's toons. I don't see the Blingtron as qualifying under either definition. It's rather like getting $ for quest completion. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Anyone else?
Reply Quote
72 Draenei Warrior
Rules state that daily quests are acceptable unless forbidden by other provisions such as fishing so Blingtron clearly should be acceptable.

True if you are lucky you can get a gold windfall, but frankly you will make more than enough gold from selling the drops you can't use on the AH anyway. There is so little to spend money on as an Ironman. For that matter on Wyrmrest RP gear goes very high. Can sell a low level green drop for a couple of hundred gold. Doesn't matter a bit.. best gear I can get is still the Chromatic Robe which costs 80 silver at a vendor.

On the Deadmines dungeon, just FYI, this is a no risk entry. You just go through the gate and click on the Vision to see Van Cleef's fate and Vanessa.
Reply Quote
48 Undead Hunter
No groups or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped. - Statistics for number of kills and number of killing blows are compared to see if the character has been getting outside help. If you're solo questing or grinding, you won't have to worry about this one.

This Rule I don't get it... what if your killing something and some random comes along and kills it with out u saying anything... does that class as a disqualification or not??

~Ven
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
No groups or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped. - Statistics for number of kills and number of killing blows are compared to see if the character has been getting outside help. If you're solo questing or grinding, you won't have to worry about this one.

This Rule I don't get it... what if your killing something and some random comes along and kills it with out u saying anything... does that class as a disqualification or not??

~Ven
No it doesn't disqualify. There are at least 3 reasons:

1. A random "drive by" isn't considered help. The guy goes on about his business, you go on about yours. He probably didn't know you were an IMCer and thought he was being nice. Don't bother about it. The rule is intended to prevent pseudo-group activities where the IMC participant has one or more friends log in and ride shotgun w/o actually grouping, providing the player with cover fire that prevents unintended aggro and other problems from killing the character, or by providing various buffs not otherwise available and thus extra combat capacity, immunities, healing speed, etc.... in other words "powers" to which they would normally not have access under the rules. Tis method is a way of obeying the letter of the law on the "no deaths" rule... because except for the one thing the toon is fighting it really isn't in any danger... without really following the 'spirit'.

2. Some of the "rules" just are not verifiable. That's why the whole thing is run on an honor system. Only you know absolutely whether or not there was any "cheat" or disqualifying behavior/intent in what happened. If there is, then you really should obey the rules and disqualify the toon, delete, reroll and start over. If not, then it isn't really a big deal. As above, a one-time drive by doesn't contain intent (from them or you) as a bypass or workaround against the rule. If it's more than just a one-time, the suggested tactic is to speak to the individual (if possible) and let them know you're doing something specific and they're are (however unintentionally) interfering and ask them to stop. For most this will suffice. If that doesn't work, then either logging off for a while until they're gone, or perhaps even reporting them if you feel what they're doing is egregious enough.

3. As a self challenge you decide which of the "rules" of the IMC you are willing to accept/embrace. The list, if used in full, provides what is considered a very difficult leveling process. If you feel you are not ready for/do not like/can't see the senses of... one or more of the 'rules', then ignore them. You are the sole determining factor on whether or not you have both accepted a challenge level you feel actually challenges you (your game knowledge, class skill, etc. so you feel the time and effort spent was worth it both from a game play enjoyment stance and as a potential learning tool) and held true to the "honor" of sticking to them without any outright cheats or "fudging". You decide, no one else.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I am just wondering if items such as Hood of hungering darkness, crown of eternal winter and Jewel of the firelord are ok items to wear being as they give absolutly no buff they are BoA item but i didnt send it to the toon its on
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
10/16/2013 02:28 PMPosted by Anri
I am just wondering if items such as Hood of hungering darkness, crown of eternal winter and Jewel of the firelord are ok items to wear being as they give absolutly no buff they are BoA item but i didnt send it to the toon its on
These "vanity" or "cosmetic" pieces don't provide any benefits, as you said, but they violate "The Rules" in at least two ways.

1. They are not "grey or white" gear, they're technically...uh, epics? (the title of the item is in purple writing).

2. They are "Bind on battle.net account", meaning they are, effectively, "heirlooms"... of a sort at least.

Personally, I don't think many IMC regulars would have a problem with it, but you might run into some "issues" if you register that toon with the www.ironman.com "tracking" website. It looks for verifiable violations and an heirloom (an item level 1, BoA) will trigger it to flag that toon as "disqualified". Which means you might have to "argue" with the inevitable detractors that try to say you "cheated" when in fact you really didn't.

I'd say go for it... mainly because, as I've stated many times before, this is a self-challenge. You decide the rules you will adopt and "obey" and the ones you won't. The tracking site is for the more "hardcore" IMC particpants so you might bypass registering there... up to you.

However you decide, have fun with it... that's the important "rule".

Oh, and that "I didn't sent it..." didn't Blizz do that when you ordered it? The toon isn't supposed to receive anything in the mail from another toon (yours or anyone else's) with the exception of $ and a strict limit of other things through a "bank alt". Nice try there...

;-)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Working in an Ironman Challenge Shaman ATM, Ironsham. More of something to pass the time between conquest caps.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
tl;dr
Reply Quote
10 Human Warrior
Why is it prohibited to learn fishing &/or cooking? In the spirit of the challenge, and for RP I was hoping to catch and cook my own meals (but none that will grant stats or buffs).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I could wax longer on this, but basically it comes down to this.

Fishing allowed for food healing (which does contain some buffs). Cooking can be used to gain access to more "refined" healing foods (and better buffs). One example is the (Pandaren) 275pt Agility buff for Valley Stir Fry which lasts for a hour. These buffs go against the "spirit" of the challenge; leveling in an extremely support-deprived environment. Both can be performed in a fairly "danger free" manner.

1st Aid, on the other hand, would require risk to the toon for gathering mats (Runecloth anyone?) just to keep it level appropriate (severe gold defeceits made AH buying very problematic) and the bandages themselves provide only healing without other buff(s).

So, 1st Aid was allowed and the others were barred.

But, as I say frequently, you decide which "rules" you will accept and which ones you will ignore. This isn't a contest of any kind. It is a challege to yourself to see how many of the "rules" or support deprivations you can manage and still level to cap with zero deaths.

Hope that helps.
:-)
Reply Quote
10 Human Warrior
Thanks, too bad I died tonight. The collector, collected me.

The reason I asked; and I know it's up to me what rules I want to follow, I was only going to make food that had no buffs. I even expected to cap it around 300, though if I did max it and even make buff food, it would be to sell on the AH.
Edited by Cadman on 10/29/2013 9:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Thanks, too bad I died tonight. The collector, collected me.

The reason I asked; and I know it's up to me what rules I want to follow, I was only going to make food that had no buffs. I even expected to cap it around 300, though if I did max it and even make buff food, it would be to sell on the AH.
Some people early on went with additional, self-limited activities, such as not using flying mounts... or no mounts at all, etc. Others decided they wanted something that would help alleviate some of the grindier tedium of this leveling method (or just for plain RP purposes) and opted for something like your method. You can certainly do what you wish... only you will know if you stuck to your self-limitation of non-buffed foods. Be aware, as I've said before, that if you wish to register your character at the www.wowironman.com site, it will ding you for taking either of those professions and list the toon as 'disqualified' -- so not registering there might be better for avoiding those that want to cause you grief over it.

As for selling stuff, I don't recall any real prohibition against it, but I fail to see what the point would be. While leveling, your character should amass sufficient $ for its needs including riding training and one ground and one flying mount. Some participants have been noted to comment that their toons are "swimming in cash" compared to their expenses. The only real hurdle seems to be the Cold Weather Flying skill for Northrend and it can be overcome with patience, which is a large part of what the challenge is about.

But it is, again, up to you. Future plans for the character to "expand" after completing the challenge are fine.... but note that among those who have completed it (and not a small number of those still trying) few, if any of them, want to risk getting even one death on the toon, because that would pretty much waste all their effort -- sort of counter to the challenge's accomplishment, if you see what I mean.

But, your choice. Enjoy. :-)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I tried this before on a few toons in the beginning.
Its good to see that zombie is still posting when most have left.
I asked on Janileth before, but can't find any general answer.
Was there a decision since MoP, to allow for specialization?
I remember asking, as quite a few classes are broken without it.

Thanks!
Edited by Yinheara on 10/30/2013 9:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

Thanks!
I, personally, have heard nothing on it... I would presume that the changes from Cata to MoP are so drastic in this area that it's impossible to come up with a "definitive" response, at least that stays consistent with the intent(s) of the older "rules".

The # of formerly "forbidden" abilities that are now automatic passives is... impressive to say the least, and makes lower level toons a bit more sturdy (read survivable) but doesn't really make up for encounter scaling once one reaches MoP content.

The only thing I can counsel is taking "your decision" to heart and doing as you please. I don't even know if the www.ironman.com website has been updated in this regard so I can't even say if taking such skill will mark the toon as "disqualified". I suppose one could create such a toon, take one of the skills and then check the site to see... but that sounds like a lot of work.

Unless someone else who knows for sure gives us a reply I would say, do as you see fit.

Not much help, but it's all I've got.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage

Thanks!
I, personally, have heard nothing on it... I would presume that the changes from Cata to MoP are so drastic in this area that it's impossible to come up with a "definitive" response, at least that stays consistent with the intent(s) of the older "rules".

The # of formerly "forbidden" abilities that are now automatic passives is... impressive to say the least, and makes lower level toons a bit more sturdy (read survivable) but doesn't really make up for encounter scaling once one reaches MoP content.

The only thing I can counsel is taking "your decision" to heart and doing as you please. I don't even know if the www.ironman.com website has been updated in this regard so I can't even say if taking such skill will mark the toon as "disqualified". I suppose one could create such a toon, take one of the skills and then check the site to see... but that sounds like a lot of work.

Unless someone else who knows for sure gives us a reply I would say, do as you see fit.

Not much help, but it's all I've got.

I wouldn't use the website anyway.
I really don't see the point in it, beyond bragging rights - well anymore.
I clearly used it the first few times I tried, back over a year ago.
I will likely use the specialization, because without it - just looking at the basic abilities of the mage will be alright until level 10, where the game expects you to take the specialization. Talents are mostly passive enhancements or added spells, that are for the most part optional. Sure - I won't have any of the bombs or shields as a mage, but I didn't have those before during Cata. It was slow pulls and aware of your surroundings.
Again, Aber - good to see you sticking around!

~Pep
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
11/01/2013 04:09 AMPosted by Peppatrix
I wouldn't use the website anyway.
Then you should have no issues. "Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law!", or... something like that.

If your way is what you feel you need to satisfy both the general "intent" of the challenge and provide you with an atmosphere that keeps your interest, that's all that's needed. Good luck.

11/01/2013 04:09 AMPosted by Peppatrix
Again, Aber - good to see you sticking around!
Dirty job, but someone's gotta do it???

(edited)
Edited by Aberzombie on 11/1/2013 10:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Are racial abilities aloud?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]