Ironman Challenge FAQ

(Sticky)

34 Night Elf Hunter
I also have something to contribute to this in terms of some questions and a few answers
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4044505733

There are white item leveled wands for those that use em...as well as a few other things that still need an answer for

answered those for ya
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
Post Deleted
Edited by Neverdied on 2/15/2012 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I am somewhat critical of these rules. They don't represent a reasonable RP scenario (except possibly playing a very stupid character who can't learn to mine or pick herbs). It seems like the only criterion used was that they should make things more difficult. This is like loading up a meal with capsaicin while ignoring the flavor. I do realize that, due to heavy nerfing activity, you have to impose a lot of restrictions to face a reasonable challenge in WoW.

Also, as an aside, the auction house should not be allowed. Once you start on a good buy low/sell high cycle you'll have unlimited gold anyway. This makes rule 2 moot.

I would hope that a challenge can be designed that doesn't rely on cutting out so much of the game, i.e.:

3. No gear enhancement(s), thus no Socket Gems, Enchanting or Reforging. Exceptions exist for class abilities. (example: Rogue poisons)
4. No specializations, talent points, or glyphs. This restriction also applies to talent points for pets.
5. No professions or secondary skills. An exception is made for First Aid.
6. No potions/flasks/elixirs (except those labeled as Quest Items)
7. No food buffs or other external buffs (this includes buffs from items and other players).

I don't have a complete answer to this, but I would start by replacing the above rules with something like:

-- You can only gather resource nodes in order to improve your skills, or to manufacture items you feel you will probably use. (In other words, no gathering just for XP.)
-- You can only have adventures where the mobs are at least two levels higher than you. Exception 1: You can go wherever you need to gather necessary resources, but then you must not engage mobs that don't attack you first. Exception 2: Level 84 characters may adventure where there are level 85 mobs. Exception 3: Level 85 characters can do what they want, because they've won.
-- You cannot log out in rest areas or otherwise spend much time in them.
-- You cannot use the auction house.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
02/14/2012 12:41 PMPosted by Silthania
It seems like the only criterion used was that they should make things more difficult.

It took you this long to figure this out?

02/14/2012 12:41 PMPosted by Silthania
I would hope that a challenge can be designed that doesn't rely on cutting out so much of the game, i.e.:

Then, by all means, do it. I like some of your ideas; however, you are presenting a different "spirit". As such, I would hope that you would do something like what you suggest and make it radically different from Ironman. In other words, don't foster Ironman disunity through this. If you want something different, then make something different. Personally, I'd try both. I look forward to hearing more about your ideas in a different thread.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
shut up and go away

Ok, maybe I'll put in some effort rather than just criticize.

The auction house really needs to be prohibited though, that's just a glaring error and easily fixed.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
Post Deleted
Edited by Neverdied on 2/15/2012 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
36 Draenei Hunter
02/14/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Neverdied
Auction house does not matter. Hell I haven t looted 1 copper so far. You don t need gold in this challenge. Just selling one or two greens at 60 pays for 20 levels of repairs and talents

An implied goal of the challenge is for everyone to be able to give it a go. Not everyone can be as skilled and elite as some that have found ways to do without such a prominent and common game feature as the AH. The last thing this challenge should be is exclusive and available to only a select, self-anointed few. We've already seen what this mindset can do to the game.
Edited by Zheleznyi on 2/14/2012 7:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm a hunter and my pet died? Can I just use Revive?
The consensus is if your hunter pet dies, it is also a death in the sense that you have to start over. You will need to go tame another one. You just cannot Revive it.

This is incorrect. You will find a clarification to this somewhere around the 50's in thread V. Revive pet is a hunter ability and can therefore be used without worry.

This was a question i had because i just assumed that if my pet died it was dead and i would have to just get another. I asked for clarification and was told that just like hunters had skills to get pets they also had skills to revive those pets and using any and all of your own skills was perfectly valid within the rules.

I'm sure you could just sift though my posts and not have to sort through possibly 20 pages of thread V to find this.
Edited by Vyndal on 2/15/2012 6:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Parking Lot

This area lists questions and topics that we will answer Soon(TM). They are listed here so they are not forgotten.

Quests that want you to go into a dungeon
Quests that kill my character as part of the mechanic
White items that have stats/buffs
Achievements: Fishing
Achievements: Exploration
Achievements, in general
Trolling and Behaviour
I'm scared to play now. What do I do?
Where do I find gear?
How do I use the tracking site? What does that "X" mean?
Portals, and other travel modes. (Do we have to walk everywhere?)
Mailing mats from your challenger to your other characters in-realm. One way only.

If you have a specific question, please reply here or at the Ironman Challenge thread.

You may wear only white or grey gear. If there happens to be stats on it you need to make sure they are natural to the item. For instance, If you purchased a white item off the AH you need to make sure the +5 stam is natural and not an enchant. If it is natural it is valid.

Entering a dungeon is against the rules.

If your stats show a death you are disqualified. No matter how the death occurred.

No fishing. You cannot train any proff except for First aid. Period.

There is no rule against obtaining achievements to my knowledge.

You may have any mount you can obtain legally. You may use the flight master. You may only use your own skills and cannot group so if you are a mage then port away. You may not use someone elses abilities.

As for mailing mats to another character... I believe you are permitted to mail anything you want TO someone. However it is still under debate as to whether you may receive the gold value. Bank alts have been discussed but it is the general idea that that is receiving help from another character. There are no rules prohibiting helping others though so in my opinion, you may send things to another character but must not receive anything from them.

Gear comes from venders and mobs. In the lower levels you will get some white quest rewards but after 10 or so you will get greens or higher from quests.
Edited by Vyndal on 2/15/2012 6:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Interesting example. Let's examine it.

1. It's a "white" item, so it doesn't violate the "white or grey" only rule.
2. It has limited duration and any damage to the target nullifies it.
3. Only one target at a time can be affected, limiting its use further.
4. It become increasingly unreliable the higher level the target, making reliance on its effectiveness increasingly hazardous to the user.

To decide, we have to go back to a basic decision-making nexus in the challenge. It's less about the benefit and more about where it comes from. Any external advantage (in this case an item) is viewed with doubt. If the character cannot already perform this task without it, it might not fit the rules. But, what does it really do? What is the "benefit" or "advantage"? In this case it is useable in combat (which is generally unacceptable). Does it improve survivability by providing either armor or damage? No. All it does is put one low-level mob to sleep for 20 sec. (provided no other damage is issued). At best, I see it as a way to get a head start on running for safety. Is it that much different from any other "panic button" ability many classes already have? Yes, in that its source is outside the toon. The Rogue abiltiy "Sprint" would be similar in that it would allow the toon to flee potentially fatal contact, but in that case it is a "basic" character ability, not something that comes from an item "outside" the basic character.

So, to sum, I would say that, though it appears innocent at first blush, it's use probably constitutes a violation of "outside help" and would be prohibited.

Any other takers?

as great as that would be for a low-level toon to use, i'd have to agree with you that it falls under the "outside help" category, seeing as it's a quest reward and not a class ability

I have to disagree. This is not outside help. It is a quest reward. Of appropriate level. It's my opinion that it is perfectly valid. Just my opinion though of course.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Ok last post here for now lol

The DK thing...

I have never leveled a DK myself as i despised the darn thing before i even left the starting area. However, it is my understanding that it is impossible to complete the starting area without equipping and using the sword. I read somewhere in thread V, i think, that if a quest made you do something then it was legal. So i find the use of the sword to be legal. But must be sold off as soon as it is no longer required. Gear must be removed upon creation before progressing as it is not necessary.

The leveling a challenger to 55 first should of course be required. However, my spin on this is that upon the decision to join the lich king and become a DK you remain the same person. What i mean is that the BE mage who decides to join the Lich King has not lost anything. I mean, was she mugged? Who stole her stuff? Seriously, I have JOINED the Lich king. Not died or got run over by a train destroying my stuff.

It is my opinion that upon joining the LK and becoming a DK that your possessions should remain yours. Your lvl 55 BE mage should be stripped of everything and all of it should be sent to the DK.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Why do people ask this SO much?? Is it completely unheard of to do something for your own enjoyment? Furthermore, Learn to read. This question has been answered at least 75+ times.
Reply Quote
36 Draenei Hunter
02/15/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Rogelian
what the reward ?

How do I win?
There is no in-game achievement, award, title, prize, or Feat of Strength, so if you define “winning” by getting one of these, I’m sorry to say that this may not be a challenge for you. Personally, the win here is once again feeling the excitement, engagement, and enjoyment that, to me, has been missing from the game for some time.

This is not a competition. This is a personal challenge. It is not a race to see who gets to be “first.” Yes, there are tracking sites and talk of “what is the highest level.” This is good and it serves as a way for challengers to measure their progress, but it’s not the end purpose. You win by playing.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
I was looking at this and considering doing it, but I wanted to ask a question first. Since class abilities are allowed, would you be permitted, as a warlock, to use a soulstone and still be within the rules if you died? I'm assuming no, but it is a class ability.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
By "timers" you mean addons such as OmenCC, correct?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Apologies if this has already been posted but a clarification on death - what about Standing in Fire (Deathwing death achieve)? It seems like you'd have to be awful lucky to get all the way to level 85 without getting it - and since it has absolutely nothing to do with how you play....I certainly grok that death = death but this one seems like it's unavoidable.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I *like* that approach - tho I'd use a pally or warrior rather than mage just so it's appropriate gear. E.g. level pally to 55, create DK, sell all DK's stuff, send pally stuff to DK.

Ruling from the floor?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]