Ironman Challenge FAQ

(Sticky)

36 Night Elf Warrior
02/15/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Xygrith
Apologies if this has already been posted but a clarification on death - what about Standing in Fire (Deathwing death achieve)? It seems like you'd have to be awful lucky to get all the way to level 85 without getting it - and since it has absolutely nothing to do with how you play....I certainly grok that death = death but this one seems like it's unavoidable.

A death is a death is a death.

If the death counter on your character's statistics page is one or above, then that's it. Game over.

The thing about Deathwing (if he's still alive on the server you're playing on), is that when he does appear in a zone, he'll only target a specific part of it. So, it isn't as if you're in that zone he's in, you're boned. I've had a couple of encounters with him on other characters when the sky turns red, but I've never been charred to a crisp by him.

But, yes. Death is a death, no matter what may have caused it. In the words of some guy I heard once who rants about video games on the Internet...

...because you also need to learn that sometimes life will just !@#$ on you.
Edited by Lauyssa on 2/15/2012 2:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
22 Blood Elf Mage
Can warlocks use Healthstones ?
Reply Quote
22 Blood Elf Mage
Thanks for the info Ironybrit .
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Think DW has fallen on the server I've started Xyronman on so that shouldn't be an issue - and for the life of me I didn't consider that it was zone-specific - thought it just periodically wiped a large area out (as in Kalimdor). :/

Last question - I'm reading "food buff" as e.g. Beer-Basted Crocolisk, which buffs strength/stam, as out, but "normal" food that simply restores health/mana as OK - is that consistent with the sense of this?

-- Xy ("zy")
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Ok... Stats show i received an Epic, but I only received all my account based pets/mounts. My tune Åpis (alt 143) from Nazgrel was removeed from http://wowironman.com/ so i'm trying to figure out if that epic is related or another reason (saw something about a penguin--Mr. Chilly?) Any insight would be appreciated. (btw, i readded the tune for those who see it on there today)
Edited by Ravenlok on 2/15/2012 5:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My level twelve Druid uses recount (vs. target dummy or very low level mobs) to help confirm my estimates of rotation and chosen form (caster vs. cat now, bear is another choice at 15). That is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

I'm considering adding a "coordinates" addon, which in conjunction with wowhead, could make questing easier. I think that is much more questionable, but I'd like to hear other opinions.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
I would like to get loremaster with this as well but some of the quests like in plaguelands give you the pallys that go along with you and buff you. If you click it off you are buffed again. any ideas on how this could be done without the buffs but still loremaster if possible. I know it makes it harder but I think it is cool and then you get the achievement title for the title hounds.
Reply Quote
What about rested xp? or do you have to purposely not logout in a city or inn?
Reply Quote
36 Draenei Hunter
02/15/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Sharrk
What about rested xp? or do you have to purposely not logout in a city or inn?

Rested XP is allowed.
(Added to the FAQ. Thanks! Keep those questions coming in.)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I just cant see how this will be possible.
Cata zones mobs are designed that you have green cata level gear.
ever try it with northrend greens? the mobs wreck you, it is difficult.
I cant imagine with white only gear. even with hunter pets the pet will die quickly.
Reply Quote
36 Draenei Hunter
I just cant see how this will be possible.
Cata zones mobs are designed that you have green cata level gear.
ever try it with northrend greens? the mobs wreck you, it is difficult.
I cant imagine with white only gear. even with hunter pets the pet will die quickly.

Maybe the solution is to wait until your character is more able to fight and survive in Cata, instead of running in as soon as the zone allows you. We've had some with non-challenger level 80s strip down to just white gear, drop talents, and try the early zone with some success.

No doubt, it will be a tough climb.
Reply Quote
36 Draenei Hunter
Ok last post here for now lol

Good input. Thanks. It will take me a few days to catch up and fold these into the front pages.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Its a race whether you intend it to be or not.

The fact that there are players hoping to be the first to complete the current 'ironman challenge' makes it a race regardless of whether or not some of the participants plan to compete themselves.
Reply Quote
36 Draenei Hunter
Its a race whether you intend it to be or not.

The fact that there are players hoping to be the first to complete the current 'ironman challenge' makes it a race regardless of whether or not some of the participants plan to compete themselves.

It is a race because those players who are racing ahead decided that is how they want to do their challenge. The challenge itself did not say "you win if you get to 85 first." The challenge presented a set of rules that through over 4,200+ posts has provided a framework that drew people back into the game to experience fun that's been missing for some time.

If you want to race ahead, go for it. No one is stopping you. The sites track progress, which lets those listed there see how they are doing overall. Some will look at that and claim that since progress is being tracked that it proves this is, indeed, a race.

But it's not a race. Races have prizes at the finish line. Is there an award, title, trophy, Feat of Strength for those who get to 85 first, or even those who trail and eventually make it to 85? Nope. No prize. No award. No title. No Feat of Strength. What are you racing ahead for? Bragging rights? Ego boosts? Oh, here's one ePeen stroking? (having heard that in a while). Some players are so eager to be first that they've compromised what integrity they have to find ways around the rules. And that's just sad. No game is worth that.

Since it's not a race, the tracking site is not really a leader board, is it? It tracks the players listed by levels. It gives those in the challenge a chance to root for them. Or gain some inspiration from them. For those at the top, the tracking list can certainly serve as motication, to egg them on, making them want to do better, or at least not die and lose their position.

Not a race. It's only a race for those who want to make it one. The rest of us playing what is once again a fun game could not care less.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]