Final Fantasy XIV Already Merging Wolrds...

90 Gnome Warrior
09/04/2012 12:40 PMPosted by Yinian
However, I do expect it to be appealing to a sizeable enough demographic where the game will thrive in its own little section of the world of MMOs.
Funnily enough, at times XIV's biggest enemy is its own community. When the devs announced their desire to appeal to more than just the FFXI players, some threw fits and started saying things like how they didn't want their game's community to become like WoW or TOR's community. When jumping was shown to be implemented the "ZOMG THIS GAME IS TURNING INTO WOW" crap started, too. Some of them are stuck on FFXI rather than keeping their eyes forward.

Hell, people b*tched about the graphic quality of the GRASS for almost three weeks after the first screenshots of 2.0's game engine came out. XD
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Complaining... about jumping...?

Geez. People will find anything these days to complain about. And grass?! Good lord.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Please be good PLEASE be good please please pleeeeeease be good!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
FFXIV in its original iteration was terrrrrible. I barely got out of the first city before shutting it off. So much mouse input lag, so much bad interface design. I never played XI either. I was honestly willing to give FFXIV a shot as my MMO of choice until I played it. The massive failure of FFXIV was the reason I started playing WoW to begin with.

I hope fans who remembered their early years (myself) understand this company is a shell of what they were. They have no imagination, they rely on gimmicky battle systems and visuals to push sales. They've lost incredible talent with Sakaguchi and Uematsu. They also inject far too much culture into their games these days. The hair is spikier than ever, the dialogue is cheesy and bad. The guys look like girls, the girls sound like Minnie mouse on drugs and wear really stupidly over the top outfits that wouldn't protect them against fruit flies let alone an actual enemy. They just suck, and I blame it on Enix who gutted what the series was all about. At least Dragon Quest doesn't suck...yet.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
FFXIV in its original iteration was terrrrrible. I barely got out of the first city before shutting it off. So much mouse input lag, so much bad interface design. I never played XI either. I was honestly willing to give FFXIV a shot as my MMO of choice until I played it. The massive failure of FFXIV was the reason I started playing WoW to begin with.

I hope fans who remembered their early years (myself) understand this company is a shell of what they were. They have no imagination, they rely on gimmicky battle systems and visuals to push sales. They've lost incredible talent with Sakaguchi and Uematsu. They also inject far too much culture into their games these days. The hair is spikier than ever, the dialogue is cheesy and bad. The guys look like girls, the girls sound like Minnie mouse on drugs and wear really stupidly over the top outfits that wouldn't protect them against fruit flies let alone an actual enemy. They just suck, and I blame it on Enix who gutted what the series was all about. At least Dragon Quest doesn't suck...yet.

I wouldn't say that Square-Enix is without hope. I mean, if they were, they wouldn't have bothered trying to salvage FFXIV in the first place. This was their wake-up call, and they reacted EXTREMELY well to it. Yes, it should not have even happened in the first place, but some life lessons need to be learned the hard way. And this time, it was Square-Enix's turn to face the music.

And while Sakaguchi hasn't worked on an SE project since leaving to form Mistwalker, Uematsu has worked with SE, since he his now, for the most part, a free agent contracting his services out to those who would hire him.

All in all, Square-Enix has earned a second chance with this game and their customers for reacting with professionalism and courtesy towards their customers over the extreme failure of the initial product. And I know I am repeating myself here, but this is in contrast to other video game companies these days who, when faced with similar screw-ups, reacted quite poorly and fully deserve to be in the current rut they are in.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

I wouldn't say that Square-Enix is without hope. I mean, if they were, they wouldn't have bothered trying to salvage FFXIV in the first place. This was their wake-up call, and they reacted EXTREMELY well to it. Yes, it should not have even happened in the first place, but some life lessons need to be learned the hard way. And this time, it was Square-Enix's turn to face the music.

And while Sakaguchi hasn't worked on an SE project since leaving to form Mistwalker, Uematsu has worked with SE, since he his now, for the most part, a free agent contracting his services out to those who would hire him.

All in all, Square-Enix has earned a second chance with this game and their customers for reacting with professionalism and courtesy towards their customers over the extreme failure of the initial product. And I know I am repeating myself here, but this is in contrast to other video game companies these days who, when faced with similar screw-ups, reacted quite poorly and fully deserve to be in the current rut they are in.

I personally am always willing to try Final Fantasy again because each time they talk about how they're listening to fans, and then dump off a head scratcher. I'm still reeling from their reasoning for not including towns in FFXIII because (paraphrasing) "towns are hard". I have too much nostalgia to give up on these guys fully. They are slowly whittling away my love for the franchise one release at a time but my love isn't gone yet.

Their reaction from FFXIV is one of embarrassment and too much R&D down the drain to just throw in the towel. SE knows the quality of FFXIV didn't live up to the standards of the franchise. That's fine, but the problems are more nuanced than 'This game is broke as !@#$'. FFXIII was top quality, it was just top quality disappointment. FFXII was top quality, it was just top quality 'meh'. Fans used to look at the next generation consoles and Final Fantasy was typically the beacon of cutting edge RPG goodness. Western developers have been doing it far better for the past decade now, sad to say, the reign of moogles and chocobos is far in the rear view mirror.

That said I will watch FFXIV's reboot. Unfortunately I believe the damage is done. However if they release it to glowing reviews, i'll revel in the opportunity to ride around the world on a chocobo once more.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Well, if you are looking to bask in some Square-Enix goodness, try The World Ends With You for DS or iOS. Easily one of the best RPGs I've played in quite some time, dude.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'll check it out on my iPad. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
1up.com article on FFXIV - http://www.1up.com/features/final-fantasy-xiv-franchise-reborn

A compilation thread on what is currently known about 2.0 - http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/38201-Coming-in-Version-2.0!

I don't think anyone can keep a straight face while saying that FF has remained at the same level of quality throughout the years. That'd be a bold-faced lie. Still, we just have to wait and see how the masses react to the reboot.
Edited by Agrina on 9/5/2012 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I didn't realize Uematsu did the music for XIV. Nice.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
The subtitled Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary presentation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_737hYbSCEs

Click on the CC at the bottom of the video for the subtitles to pop up. Most of what was lost in the translation is banter, so most of the subs involve the important stuff. Good info, too.
Edited by Agrina on 9/7/2012 11:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
09/14/12 Letter from the Producer LIVE Q&A - http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/54357-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-III-Q-A-Updates
Note: The CMs have mentioned that once they have the transcript from this letter up, they will delete the linked thread. I'll update this post when that happens.

Screencaps taken by Mijin - http://mijin.org/?page_id=1309

Video capture of the Letter from the Producer:
1st half - http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18882070
2nd half - http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18882661
Note: Requires a NicoNico Douga account. Not subtitled.

I sadly don't have my own screen caps from this as I was asleep when this thing aired. Still, decent info. They showed artwork for a boss based on a villain from Final Fantasy III, stuff like concept artwork for the housing system as well as equipment for chocobo (they showed White Mage-ish gear for chocobo and Black Mage-ish gear for chocobo).

On an odd note, SE CEO Wada Yoichi decided to make a cameo and ask a bunch of questions.
Edited by Agrina on 9/16/2012 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Gear for your Chocobo? Well, it worked for Chocobo in Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, for the Wii, where you could change Chocobo's job to best suit the kind of dungeon he was exploring. Ha, I hope they go more with it. Just imagine...

"Ninja Chocobo: By the time you hear, "Kweh!" You are already dead."
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I think Square-Enix is going to salvage this game. (I actually like the current state of the game, but look forward to 2.0, regardless). Everything looks beautiful and has real flair! It has that mysterious quality about it that I associate with Final Fantasy. Needless to say, I'm staying subbed for the forseeable future!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Gear for your Chocobo? Well, it worked for Chocobo in Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, for the Wii, where you could change Chocobo's job to best suit the kind of dungeon he was exploring. Ha, I hope they go more with it. Just imagine...

Well, currently they have proposed a pet system where your chocobo can fight alongside you. They are also planning a chocobo raising system to allow you to "spec" your chocobo a certain way. So you can have a nuker chocobo (hence the Black Mage outfit), a healer chocobo and so on.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior

Well, currently they have proposed a pet system where your chocobo can fight alongside you. They are also planning a chocobo raising system to allow you to "spec" your chocobo a certain way. So you can have a nuker chocobo (hence the Black Mage outfit), a healer chocobo and so on.

Oh, I am liking this more and more. They need to add some more though. Chocobos are nice, don't get me wrong... but think of the MOOGLES, MAN! Or how's about them cactuars? And let's not forget *DOINK!* them Tonberries!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior

Oh, I am liking this more and more. They need to add some more though. Chocobos are nice, don't get me wrong... but think of the MOOGLES, MAN! Or how's about them cactuars? And let's not forget *DOINK!* them Tonberries!
Oh there's been arguments about that too. I made a thread about alternate mounts aside from chocobo but the "i dunt wantz tis 2 turn 2 w0w" brigade came in and tried to paint multiple mount options as a bad thing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior

Oh there's been arguments about that too. I made a thread about alternate mounts aside from chocobo but the "i dunt wantz tis 2 turn 2 w0w" brigade came in and tried to paint multiple mount options as a bad thing.

I dunno. Multiple mounts might be a good thing, just so long as they keep it in the Final Fantasy spectrum. For example, could you imagine the absolute terror a PvP Team in FF14 could instill if they came riding in atop a Marlboro as a group mount? Maybe even an Ochu?

Cripes, what else would be a good FF Mount?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Moogles! Although that wouldn't work too well...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
09/16/2012 07:41 PMPosted by Aeox
Moogles! Although that wouldn't work too well...

I dunno. It worked for Cait Sith.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]