Which Tenacity Pet has the best survivability

70 Gnome Priest
I'm thinking in terms of leveling... which tenacity pet is the best for leveling in terms of survivability? I'm thinking turtle for the shield wall or bear for the 10% damage reduction roar. Would love some feedback.
Reply Quote
Both turtles and beetles have the same shield wall cool down. Technically they make the best tanks, though you can easily level with any tenacity pet.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Priest
02/14/2012 05:44 PMPosted by Sneakys
Both turtles and beetles have the same shield wall cool down. Technically they make the best tanks, though you can easily level with any tenacity pet.

What about bears, are Turtles/Beetles more survivable than the Bears 10% reduction? Roar has a lower cooldown than the shield wall. I'm not sure if anyone has the math behind it.
Reply Quote
I don't believe anyone has done the math either. Most soloing guides advocate using turtles/beetles at endgame for raids/heroics. The nice thing about he turtle's ability is that it's a situational cooldown as opposed to a continual debuff, which makes it nicer for soloing elites. I can say from personal experience, Shell Shield has saved me multiple times while soloing.
Edited by Sneakys on 2/14/2012 6:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
In the case of defensive cooldowns, it's almost always better to have a large, on-demand damage reduction ability instead of a smaller, sustained damage reduction ability. Unlike DPS, tanking is inherently spikey, and you want to have the tools to stop the big damage attacks when they are used. While a Bear probably is better for your everyday needs, anything that can put your pet under 50% health is better tanked with a Turtle or Beetle.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Priest
02/14/2012 08:07 PMPosted by Adarant
In the case of defensive cooldowns, it's almost always better to have a large, on-demand damage reduction ability instead of a smaller, sustained damage reduction ability. Unlike DPS, tanking is inherently spikey, and you want to have the tools to stop the big damage attacks when they are used. While a Bear probably is better for your everyday needs, anything that can put your pet under 50% health is better tanked with a Turtle or Beetle.

So you would say a Bear is better as a leveling/questing tank while a Turtle/Beetle is better for boss tanking?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Turtle reduce all damage, bear reduce only physical damage... so turtle win
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
So you would say a Bear is better as a leveling/questing tank while a Turtle/Beetle is better for boss tanking?

That's not a bad way to think about it, though either pet is more than fine for leveling/questing.

But consider using both. Spec a bear for greater damage, and spec a turtle for greater survivability. When you're soloing especially difficult content, use the turtle. When you just want to get through your kill quests quickly, use the bear.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Priest
02/15/2012 08:21 AMPosted by Gnorf

That's not a bad way to think about it, though either pet is more than fine for leveling/questing.

But consider using both. Spec a bear for greater damage, and spec a turtle for greater survivability. When you're soloing especially difficult content, use the turtle. When you just want to get through your kill quests quickly, use the bear.

Since the change to pets, don't they do the same damage?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
02/15/2012 06:34 AMPosted by Adriyel

Pretty much. There isn't much left in the open world that can still kill you or your pet. Raid bosses, on the other hand, are still quite dangerous.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]