World of Warcraft War College – Warsong Gulch

Community Manager
This week, the topic of discussion is:

Warsong Gulch – Which tactics have you found most effective in Warsong Gulch? Which winning team compositions and strategies do you use when playing Rated? What tips or tricks have you discovered? What common mistakes have you witnessed?

The battlefields of World of Warcraft are littered with the bones of those who have become casualties in the ongoing conflict between the Horde and the Alliance. You do not need to become one of them. One of the keys to victory is knowledge, and that is where the World of Warcraft War College enters the picture. In these discussions between players, you can learn and share strategies with other players to improve your tactics and improve your odds of emerging victorious from the field of battle.

Are you a veteran Gladiator with countless victories tallied? Are you new to World of Warcraft and striving to improve your PvP skills? In this weekly feature, we invite players of all skill levels to ask questions, share tips and tactics, and join a conversation dedicated to surviving and thriving in World of Warcraft PvP.

Don’t forget to up-vote forum posts that are on-topic and helpful!

• Stick to the rules. All posts should abide by the forum code of conduct and these War College forum thread guidelines. Feel free to disagree with each other, but please do so respectfully. When you express opposing opinions, focus on the idea, not its author, their rating, or perceived skill level.
  • Be constructive. The purpose of this thread is to share effective tactics and strategies; to adapt, overcome and become a better player based on current conditions. Claiming that a class, comp or strategy is overpowered isn’t conducive to learning better play and tends to just derail the discussion.
  • No soapboxes, please. This thread is for the community to discuss strategies and tactics amongst themselves, not to push individual opinions about game balance or design.
  • Please limit conjecture. Theorycrafting definitely has its place, but it’s best to keep the discussion focused, on-topic and practical.
  • Important: Please provide explanations and be prepared to provide evidence. These threads exist to elevate the level of strategic discussion on the forums. When appropriate, please provide examples illustrating tactics or techniques you believe to be effective. When using videos please post time stamps to help direct people to the specific points in the action to which you’re referring.
  • Ask questions! These threads aren’t just for experienced players, but also players who are learning the ropes or want to improve their skills. On the same token, don’t attack other players for asking questions.
Edited by Daxxarri on 2/15/2012 8:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I hate to say it... but the easiest and most pug-ignored way to win WSG is simple coordination.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
02/15/2012 08:37 PMPosted by Daneille
I hate to say it... but the easiest and most pug-ignored way to win WSG is simple coordination.

Please be specific! Coordinated in what way? Who should be carrying the flag? Where should the healers be? Should you have defense? What can you expect from the opposing team?

After all, the War College is not only here for experience players to share tactics, but for new players to learn the ropes. Just knowing what to do can go a long way.
Edited by Daxxarri on 2/15/2012 8:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The worst part of the School of Hard Knocks achievement is having to do WSG. >_<
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Honestly, WSG annoys me and I was a bit expecting more responses.

That's probably attributed to the fact that when I started PVP it was back in BC and I needed a ride... as a priest.

Flag Carrying, if possible should be two-part. First you take your fastest character and have them pick up the flag. Once you are about ready to turn it in, the flag is given to your most resilient character. Through this whole time some characters move with the flag carrier to make sure it can keep moving.

Your healers are not "positioned" they are "tasked" The flag carrier and it's protectors need at least one, your offense need some too.

Defense, that is merely "make sure the flag isn't recovered", the best way to do that is simply to protect the flag carrier.

The opposing team is likely to be protecting their flag carrier too, so if at all possible, take a knockback character and some characters that can spike, a good bit of timing can lead to an easy point.
Reply Quote
68 Night Elf Death Knight
Utilize the corner room, the power ups in the buildings, and the sides of the map (including foliage). Yes you can still be seen on the map at all times, but a lot of PUGs won't check the map and head to mid and get distracted first.

The real key to WSG is luck. If you have healers in your group congratulations. If you don't and the enemy team does, you're in for a heck of a time. Blizzard could really do something about that, I've never been in a dungeon finder group with 5 DPS before, don't know why I get thrown into BGs with ten.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
always: let the DK carry the flag, lol death strike heal to full
Reply Quote
WSG is my favorite.

Prot warrors are the best FCs, but in a pug it can be anyone. I think a healer makes the biggest difference in WSG compared to other BGs.

if the other team has a lot of healers, you might as well ignore the healers and wait for the debuff to stack high, then only focus on the FC.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Actually play d. Don't just bumrush to the opposing flag and "Get it on the way back". Rarely does it ever ever work.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I haven't done serious research, but here's what my experience says:
02/15/2012 08:40 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Where should the healers be?

If possible, you should have at least one with both your offense (the team working on getting their flag/your flag back) and and defense. You don't want a healer as your flag carrier because it lets the enemy team simply focus fire on them, as opposed to having to choose which to focus (which can buy you some time).

Who should be carrying the flag?

Someone with a tank spec ideally, but most importantly, someone who knows when to stick close to a healer, and when to use the healer as bait and bail. In general, you want to do what you can to keep your healer in LoS with you, and to peel off them, but sometimes the best move is just to abandon them and use the time they buy you by being beaten on to get to a more secure position or rendezvous with reinforcements.

Should you have defense?

I would highly recommend it. Even if they can't fully protect your flag, they should be able to buy your team some time to get it back without having to go into their base. The farther away your flag is from your base, the harder it is to get to it as a group. Additionally, the extra time could be vital if your own flag carrier gets killed since it gives someone more time to grab it again before they can cap it.

What can you expect from the opposing team?

Teams generally follow patterns. If they carry the flag down the ramp once, they're more likely to do so the next time they grab it. You can also expect them to try to burn down/CC your healers or the flag carrier, so you need to watch out for that. Even if you're not the flag carrier or a healer, it's quite beneficial to do what you can to peel people off of them.

02/15/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Ritarita
Most importantly... learn and memorize the layout of both bases, because Flag carriers will use it to their advantage. The roof is the most used place to hide, always remember how to get to it.

As an addendum to this, learn the terminology/slang as fast as possible. That will let you both communicate faster, and not leave you feeling confused. A lot of them are rather self explanatory (ramp means the ramp by the relevant base, shockingly enough), but it's worth it to ensure that you've learned all the common things at least. And communicate. If you see the EFC going down the tunnel after grabbing your flag, call it out.

Also, a good offense is the best defense. The opposition can't cap a flag that they don't have. The more time you spend fighting somewhere other than at their flag carrier, the more time they have to kill yours. Defense is important, but you shouldn't give the enemy team any more leeway than you have to.
Edited by Karat on 2/16/2012 8:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
The best offense in the beginning of a match is truly the best defense. Usually, during the initial few minutes the game, if you attempt to defend the flag you'll be overpowered by 7-8 angry opposite faction players and you'd basically be useless. It's better to defend by attempting to intercept/distract their group while they charge to the flag in the start (also known as midfielding) and the rest of your team goes for their flag.

Once the first wave is over, it should be safe to hang back and defend while in the flag room.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The most common mistake I witness is people staying behind to defend the flag-room at the beginning of the battle.
They always get slaughtered by the entire Alliance team, since there's only 3-4 of them; and we then have a disadvantage when carrying our flag through midfield.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]