Ironman Challenge DK Opt -in

90 Gnome Warlock
02/15/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Åzazel
Seems as fair as it can be if there must be a DK opt-in. Soloing as a blood dk, regardless of gear is pretty easy, though I imagine it being similar to paladin.

No talents can be used, so there would be no extra healing aside from DS, but that wouldn't get any bonuses.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
02/14/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Millsa
Seems reasonable to me. People just feel that DK's are OP so of course they will feel that it is cheating. Maybe a no DS rule?

Hello there. There is no easy class for Ironman. Anyone who says there is probably hasn't tried it. I have and continue to try, although I have 3 honored dead R.I.P.

There's much debate about which class is "easiest." If you think a particular class is easy then roll it and find out!

P.S. Night Elf is the best race.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Mage
I am interested in trying this.

But what happens if the DK dies? You need to restart the warrior at level 1 right?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
I am interested in trying this.

But what happens if the DK dies? You need to restart the warrior at level 1 right?

Correct.
Reply Quote
Yes the warrior is good for 1 DK because you are playing the 2 toons as 1 toon in a rp type way. if that toon dies then you would need to start a "new" story as it were.
Edited by Magnusmira on 2/15/2012 3:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
56 Night Elf Death Knight
I don't understand why a Death Knight should have any connection or prerequisite of a different character. I am curious whether a DK can get out of the starting area and I really don't want to wait until my main Iron character reaches 55, 58, 85 or whatever.

Death Knights are no different than any other class, progress from the starting level of the class (whether 1 or 55) as far as you can.

I have made some posts elsewhere but this seems to be the place to have this conversation so here I am.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4015202822?page=174#3469
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4062846258?page=9#179

I have found that I do not like playing the warrior class (even though I do have an 80). People should be free to play any class of their choosing. Why handicap them and tell them to come back in a few weeks (months?) when they get their warrior up to 55? And why even worry about deleting or removing the other character? They are unrelated in my eyes.

Getting to the mailbox isn't really all that difficult, simple enough to do without even entering combat. But shouldn't be allowed to send your DK gear from someone else, and not necessary. Starting out naked and unarmed like every other Iron class is certainly doable. Did have to do a little bit of grinding from the get go, but not an unreasonable amount.

Iro(kn) Knightess
Reply Quote
I don't understand why a Death Knight should have any connection or prerequisite of a different character. I am curious whether a DK can get out of the starting area and I really don't want to wait until my main Iron character reaches 55, 58, 85 or whatever.

I am also curious if a DK can make it out of the starter area. I have not yet been successful. Please do update this thread with updates on your progress!
Reply Quote
58 Night Elf Death Knight
I am making what I consider to be good progress and overcame what I consider to be the first real challenge facing Death Knights.

It is possible to defeat the first battle without armor or a weapon using Icy Touch and Death Coil. Kite around the arena and jump off the ledge as the initiate will path around to the lower level while you run back to the top so you can keep distance that way. Takes some practice, but it is also easy enough to run away out of combat if things are going badly.

There are some quests you can do safely, but eventually you will need armor and a weapon. The mines to the east is a good place to farm mobs to build up your cash reserves to buy all of the white armor sold by the vendor. The miners also occasionally drop weapons. There are no hostile mobs inside the mines so you are safe once you get there. You can wait until geists attack any mobs outside the mines to clear a path for you. If you need money, keep in mind that after you do the quests where you go to the boat there is a phase shift and afterwards the mine no longer contains any mobs. Farm beforehand.

Humanoids drop plenty of cloth so you will have, and need, bandages. Fortunately, Death Knights start with 275 First-Aid. I have been using Runecloth for healing. The mageweave and silk I get I use to make heavy bandages and sell to the vendor as money is precious at this stage, moreso than other classes attempting the Iron challenge. You should also buy some food.

You will also need gold to pay for class training. Just a note, there is a plate specialization ability which grants additional ability points, which sounds good until you realize it is dependent on which talent tree you choose. With no talents it is a wasted ability and you will need the money for other things.

Most of the quests are doable easy enough, although killing Mayor Quimby requires caution.

The first real challenge I mentioned above is the quest Bloody Breakout where you need to slay High Inquisitor Valroth. You really must stay inside the protective bubble.

The first few waves will eventually come close enough to the bubble for melee, and you have time to eat between waves for some added health if you can be quick.

You can last quite a while against Valroth while inside the bubble, although you can't do enough damage to take him down. I lasted so long that the sole mob in the room respawned on me. Thank you Shadowmeld! For this battle I really think you NEED the Raise Dead ability to do enough damage to kill him.

Death Grip does not work on Valroth so you will need to use the same ranged abilities you used before while battling the initiate unarmed. If you feel brave you can run out and melee him between casts, but I seldom did that since I have read that he hits hard. The battle did last long enough that I was able to use bandages twice, but beware the respawn if it goes too long.

This quest took a lot of practice and several attempts before I beat it. Very glad for Shadowmeld which got plenty of use on this quest. I actually created another Death Knight on a different server just so I could do all the quests beforehand so I knew what to expect when it really counted.

The Death Knight quest chain has 36 quests, plus 10 side quests. After Bloody Breakout there are 14 remaining quests, several of which are of the 'go talk to this guy' variety. I'll keep you posted on my progress but this quest has drained me so I need some time away to recharge.

Iro(kn) Knightess level 57 Night Elf Death Knight
Edited by Iroknightess on 2/22/2012 10:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Fascinating, thank you!
Reply Quote
61 Night Elf Hunter
I'm impressed you are doing so well! I tried 4-5 different DK's, and died before I could buy a piece of armor. I was trying to get to the mailbox though, not going the mines. Maybe I'll give that a shot on my next attempt. But again, I'm very very impressed you've gotten so far. The DK starter area naked was by far the hardest thing I've done in this challenge.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
*low whistle*

I've done the DK starting zone many, many times, and I've always found the quest to rescue Koltira Deathweaver to be a considerable pain in the butt even with the generously-itemized gear that beginning Death Knights get. I honestly wouldn't have believed that it could be done gearless.

*genuine applause for Iroknightess... something I very, VERY rarely give*
Reply Quote
02/23/2012 08:31 AMPosted by Ironagility
I'm impressed you are doing so well! I tried 4-5 different DK's, and died before I could buy a piece of armor. I was trying to get to the mailbox though, not going the mines. Maybe I'll give that a shot on my next attempt. But again, I'm very very impressed you've gotten so far. The DK starter area naked was by far the hardest thing I've done in this challenge.

Getting to the mailbox is pretty safe once you know the way. Hug the hills to the west and go around the back of the barn. The mobs inside are non-hostile so you won't get aggro. There is occasionally a guard posted watch on the hill just before the barn. You can wait until geists engage the guard, or pull him yourself and lead him to geists to help with the kill.

You can safely circle around to the mailbox, although there are some patrols in the area you would be wise to watch out for.

Iro(kn) Knightess level 58 Night Elf Death Knight
Reply Quote
*low whistle*

I've done the DK starting zone many, many times, and I've always found the quest to rescue Koltira Deathweaver to be a considerable pain in the butt even with the generously-itemized gear that beginning Death Knights get. I honestly wouldn't have believed that it could be done gearless.

*genuine applause for Iroknightess... something I very, VERY rarely give*

To be fair, I am not gearless, I am wearing the seven white plate items sold by Master Siegesmith Corvus, plus a weapon I believe dropped off a miner.

I tried that fight at least half a dozen times before I was finally successful. Had some very nervous moments with one hand never far from the Shadowmeld hotkey. Escaping with 200 health remaining requires some recovery time before finding the nerve to try it again.

My success was very nearly another bailout as my health drops to 400 and I'm beginning to panic (again). I'm pressing keys that do nothing since all my runes are still cooling down so I was very thankful, and relieved, and on the verge of using Shadowmeld when he finally dropped. Whew!

Edited by Iroknightess on 2/23/2012 11:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
After defeating High Inquisitor Valroth, the next eight quests or so are mostly of the 'go talk to this guy' variety.

Couple things to be aware of.

There is a wandering elite, Scarlet Lord Jesseriah McCree, mounted on horseback that wanders around all the attacking ghouls. Was grinding for a little more experience to hit 58 when I just targeted this mob being mauled by a host of ghouls only to realize after attacking that it was an elite with 10 times the health I had! Shadowmeld to the rescue once again. Watch out for that guy.

There is only one real fight in the next eight quests I mentioned. There is a quest to defeat the courier and get his message. Fight is easy enough with the help of the Raise Dead ability and the summoned ghoul, although beware of the cliff. While scouting out the area I had actually gone over the edge and plummeted to my near death. Was afraid to even move since down the cliff there are several elite mobs so I figured it was safest just to stand still and hearth out of there.

You will eventually come to the quest An End To All Things where you mount a frost wyrm and fly around killing soldiers and destroying ballistas. Have yet to do it on this character, but on my test DK it was easy enough. For the ballistas, just stay high and attack from FAR above to avoid drawing any aggro. For the soldiers, stay in the area just below the Lich King far from the front lines. Enough mobs come in that you can eventually get enough kills and if you ever get any aggro or take significant damage you can just fly up.

After this there are only 5 quests left. One is the epic battle which from my reading (been a long time since I've actually done it) is one of those follow the NPC bigwigs as they kill everything, and another one is to fight Patchwerk which I have also read is soloable easily enough.

I'm thinking it is actually possible to make it through the starting area and into the real world following the rules of the Iron challenge. We shall soon see.

Think I'm only 9 hours of played time into this on this character, and could probably shave a couple off now that I know the specifics. Anyone have plans for the weekend?

Edited by Iroknightess on 2/23/2012 12:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
Quest: An End To All Things
Beware of flying too high as you will be dismounted. You do get a parachute so the fall won't kill you, although the heart attack almost did, but you could land somewhere unsafe, and I believe all mobs in this area are now elites. Was able to summon another frost wyrm mount and escape without incident.

Quest: The Light of Dawn
The final epic battle. You can just stand around in the background and never even enter the fight, so no danger here. One comment, if you have business with vendors for food, armor, or whatever, do it before this quest as the vendors will be gone afterwards. Unless they are hiding somewhere other than their usual places.

The final hurdle remaining before me is to defeat the abomination Patchwerk. While my scouting associate was investigating the lay of the land it was discovered that you do NOT want to take the usual teleporter to the other level as that will immediately throw you into the battle upon arriving, AND accepting the quest gives you a huge buff to keep you alive. Can't believe she escaped with her life without that buff. I'll have to reward her should I escape with victory.
Reply Quote
The final hurdle lay before me.

Can I defeat the abomination and leave the Plaguelands with my life, no longer a servant of the Lich King, of will I fall and be forgotten?

Time will soon tell.

Tomorrow, Friday 2/24, at 9pm server time on the Nazgrel world (eastern time) I will either walk proudly down the streets of Stormwind with my life, or I will be a crumpled heap of lifeless flesh.

Time will soon tell.

Edited by Iroknightess on 2/23/2012 10:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
I, Death Knight Irokn Knightess, come before you as a newborn having thrown off the yoke of tyranny and conquered death.

My eyes have been opened and no longer will I be guided and ruled by philistinism.

True heros are not determined by the garb they wear or possessions acquired.

Heroism comes from deep within and not externally from the trappings of finery.

Adorn an ordinary man in the fantastic and he is still ordinary.

Clothe a champion in rags and the excellence will still shine brightly for all to see.

Throw away your crutches and awake to the possible.

There is no need to chase after great things to hide behind. Great things can be accomplished if there is greatness within.

No longer will you underestimate what is achieveable once you acknowledge the strength and firmness that resides inside.

I invite you to throw off your own yoke of tyranny and join me and the growing multitudes of brothers and sisters in the ...

SPIRIT OF IRON

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]