February 15 Update to Mists Talent Calculator

Question: How does chaotic energy work?
Answer: We are experimenting with a resource-driven, rather than time-limited, caster model on the Destruction warlock.

In a nutshell, Destruction warlocks are not GCD locked. In fact, chain-casting spells as a Destruction warlock is less important than spending all of your resources.

Keep in mind this is all subject to change, but here is how Destruction flows at the moment:

• Start of Fight: Full mana bar, Empty Ember bar

1. Immolate the target
2. Conflagrate to trigger emberstorm
3. Incinerate to generate embers
4. Continue until you are low on mana

• Middle of Fight: Empty mana bar, ~2 Embers

1. Soul Fire
2. Soul Fire
3. Mana bar is mostly full (Soul Fire costs embers, so your mana refills during the Soul Fires)

In addition to increasing your base mana regen, Chaotic Energy increases mana regen even more with Haste. This means the ability to cast spells scales smoothly with gear.

As long as the warlock never lets her mana bar fill up and burn her embers, she's maximizing damage. This is very different from the standard caster model where priority is placed on casting at all times and ordering spells based on cooldown.

Our hope is that the Destruction Warlock will attract players who are interested in a playstyle that rewards spending resources at the right time, rather than constantly casting.

So Chaos Bolt is being removed? Is Soul Fire going to use its graphic?
86 Goblin Hunter
What happened to Improved serpent sting?

Its a really big part of hunter's aoe, I hope its just by default now.
90 Pandaren Shaman
Question:

Are Shamans going to be receiving new Guardian totems? We currently have a Fire Elemental which purpose is used for damage. An Earth Elemental who's purpose to to protect the Shaman and her allies.

Is there going to be a Water Elemental that somehow ties in with Shaman Healing? And perhaps an Air Elemental that, for example, increases the raid's defenses for a short amount of time? (Also, an update on the Earth Elemental's defensive abilities would be lovely)

Thanks!

Kaivax, quick question:

Currently for Druids, you have listed Bear Hug as a base-line ability. HOWEVER, you have also listed Bear Hug as a Guardian Only ability. Which is it?
100 Draenei Shaman
Question:

Are Shamans going to be receiving new Guardian totems? We currently have a Fire Elemental which purpose is used for damage. An Earth Elemental who's purpose to to protect the Shaman and her allies.

Is there going to be a Water Elemental that somehow ties in with Shaman Healing? And perhaps an Air Elemental that, for example, increases the raid's defenses for a short amount of time? (Also, an update on the Earth Elemental's defensive abilities would be lovely)

Thanks!

No more Stupid AIs that i can't have even partial control over please.
Edited by Khaerys on 2/21/2012 6:54 PM PST
100 Tauren Druid
Soul link replacing health funnel...so our pets take damage that we cant prevent, and we cant heal them anymore if we use that?

Seems kind of backwards O.o
85 Worgen Warlock
Thanks for all the warlock info.
Question: How does chaotic energy work?
Answer: We are experimenting with a resource-driven, rather than time-limited, caster model on the Destruction warlock.

In a nutshell, Destruction warlocks are not GCD locked. In fact, chain-casting spells as a Destruction warlock is less important than spending all of your resources.

Keep in mind this is all subject to change, but here is how Destruction flows at the moment:

• Start of Fight: Full mana bar, Empty Ember bar

1. Immolate the target
2. Conflagrate to trigger emberstorm
3. Incinerate to generate embers
4. Continue until you are low on mana

• Middle of Fight: Empty mana bar, ~2 Embers

1. Soul Fire
2. Soul Fire
3. Mana bar is mostly full (Soul Fire costs embers, so your mana refills during the Soul Fires)

In addition to increasing your base mana regen, Chaotic Energy increases mana regen even more with Haste. This means the ability to cast spells scales smoothly with gear.

As long as the warlock never lets her mana bar fill up and burn her embers, she's maximizing damage. This is very different from the standard caster model where priority is placed on casting at all times and ordering spells based on cooldown.

Our hope is that the Destruction Warlock will attract players who are interested in a playstyle that rewards spending resources at the right time, rather than constantly casting.

So is havoc going allow us to hit the same target twice by any chance? And what is happening with Choas Bolt.... please tell me your not getting ride of it...
3 Blood Elf Paladin
Soul link replacing health funnel...so our pets take damage that we cant prevent, and we cant heal them anymore if we use that?

Seems kind of backwards O.o

Soul link shares healing as well as damage, so heals on you will automatically heal your minion. I wonder if minions getting damaged will injure the warlock though.
90 Worgen Warlock
02/21/2012 06:03 PMPosted by Kaivax
In a nutshell, Destruction warlocks are not GCD locked.

Let's hope this doesn't mean a Destro Lock will spend time "waiting" or auto-wanding. This is the worst part about energy specs and I hope it isn't foisted on Locks as well.

Soul Firing to burn embers sounds like an interesting mechanic but I don't think a lot of people are looking forward to hard casting 3 second Soul Fires again after the mess that was ISF.

I know a longer cast time could allow for more mana regen during that time, but is Destro getting some sort of base cast time reduction for SF other than Destructive Influence and haste? Does the cast time penalty for Soul Firing a target above execution range still apply for Destro?
Edited by Shadowfurrie on 2/22/2012 7:38 AM PST
90 Worgen Warlock
1. Can you please clarify the talent called Aftermath in Warlock's Destro tree?

How does "Rain of Fire does not need to be channelled" work exactly? Do we have to cast it for 6 seconds cast time instead?

From what I understand, Warlock can cast RoF instantly and then can walk away or cast other spell they want freely while RoF is doing damage. If what I understand is right, what if RoF's damage on target who has Immolate on is high enough and causing the adding of casting RoF every 6 seconds in the rotation? Is that intended of I just misinterpreted the context of Aftermath?

2. Soul Fire cast time, Destructive Influence, and Backdraft

I know I should not ask this question yet since we still have no idea how Destructive Influence will work exactly. I hope it won't take 30 or 40 Imp's Fire bolt cast to make Soul Fire instant or we will benefit from this only 4-5 times in a boss fight.

Will Soul Fire also gain benefit from Backdraft? Or that double cast time debuff will not apply on Destro lock since the debuff stay for 30 seconds because I think there is a high chance that we will reach full Embers before 30sec.

Thank you very much.
Edited by Firesnake on 2/21/2012 8:45 PM PST
90 Worgen Warlock
Warlocks have innate spell pushback protection, you don't have to talent into it.
90 Worgen Warlock
02/21/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Shadowfurrie
Warlocks have innate spell pushback protection, you don't have to talent into it.

Can you tell me where can I look at that source of information please. Thanks.
Most Locks don't want to see Chaos Bolt removed entirely. Wouldn't it make more sense to have Chaos Bolt consume embers than Soul Fire since CB is spec specifc? This would be a good way to keep Chaos Bolt in the game.

The long cast time on SF just isn't good for pvp where there may be times when you need to remove that self dot as fast as you can. Having to wait around for SF to have its cast time reduced before clearing your self dot just seems bad to me, because getting off a 3+ second cast time in arena is borderline impossible.
90 Night Elf Druid
For non feral druids, where is cat form dps expected to fall? Similarly, for non-balance druids where should caster form dps fall, for non-restos healing and for non-guardians tanking?

How about if you're using heart of the wild?

From a skim of the current talent trees it sort of looks like the answer to all of these is "so low that you don't bother using it ever" with a possible exception for balance druids healing with heart of the wild and everyone tanking with it.

How is dream of cenarius expected to be used?

It currently looks like it will effectively serve as a full-time "1 heal per 30s is increase by 30%" for all specs because the cost of gaining a damage bonus from it is so high.

Finally, will incarnation really let a guardian channel bear hug for 30s straight, dealing 300% of his health bar in damage over that time?
90 Worgen Warlock

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=87330

It's a non-categorized passive spell that Warlocks get at level one that reduces spell pushback by 70pct. It was briefly bugged in 4.1 and provided no protection.
Edited by Shadowfurrie on 2/21/2012 8:39 PM PST
90 Worgen Warlock
02/21/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Shadowfurrie

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=87330

It's a non-categorized passive spell that Warlocks get at level one that reduces spell pushback by 70pct. It was briefly bugged in 4.1 and provided no protection.

Thanks for this info Shadow.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]