I'd like to gear up to 378 ilvl but...

85 Human Death Knight
I'm a tank. The lfg wants to queue me in to the HoT heroics. My gear isn't that good, but I think I could run them, however I don't feel like putting up with the potential abuse from other players.

I'd run them with guildmates but there's only like 2 or 3 people tops online at any time these days.

Do I just forget it and wait for MoP or grow thicker skin, possibly going as far as leaving party chat altogether? I've run these a million times on my rogue and she's fully 378 now. I could just go as dps I guess but I know I'll get crapped on there too since I don't have dps gear and I've never played frost/unholy really and my dps will be garbage.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
run as dps for a little while and get some JP to buy tank gear with

you can also choose not to run random HoT and instead run random PRE-Hot herorics. it's a seperate list of dungeons, get all the tank gear from those sets and also build up jp to buy tank gear.
Edited by Alnair on 2/22/2012 8:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
Don't ignore party chat because sometimes you'll need to see if your healer needs to stop for mana (which is likely in HoTs with an undergeared tank) or if someone needs to go AFK or other things like that.

Otherwise, just run them and if people want to complain, tell them that you'll do your best to make up for the lack of gear with solid tanking. Ignore useless hostility and just tank. You'll either tank well and they'll have no reason to complain, or you'll have difficulty and learn from it.

Either way, I'd say queue up and give it your best.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Step 1) get PvP gear to replace greens.

Step 2) Utilize the ignore feature.

Simple as that.
Reply Quote
47 Gnome Warrior
I ran HoT the other day with a tank who said it was his first time tanking ever. He wasn't in full 378, but he also wasn't geared to bad. He was pretty decent, but pulled a little slow. He just wanted to make sure every pull was ready to go and confirmed with everyone. It wasn't a problem at all, had no issues, and everything went gravy.

Reminds me of the old tank etiquette, very polite and very aware.

Long story short, ignore the haters, they don't control your level of fun, interaction, or playstyle. Just be open to criticism, but also don't feel threatened!
Reply Quote
73 Tauren Druid
You're fine, go for it. Minus a couple pieces here and there, you are perfectly able to tank those instances. You won't overgear the place, but you won't be the hardest person your healer has had to heal either.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Dont worry about it sweets.

Q for what ever will let you in. The new 5-man heroics are a walk in the park.

Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
As a healer who runs his guild's undergeared tanks through HHots, I'm going to agree with the ones saying you're completely able to run them with no problems. Seriously, the newest heroics are so easy it's not even funny lol. My buddy that I run through is currently at 361 in his protection set and he's perfectly fine.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Speaking from experience, the easiest route would be dpsing and rolling on tank gear. However, the only person whose opinion matters is the healer, so if you go for it, whisper the healer and find out if they can heal you well with lackluster gear.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Hunter
run as dps for a little while and get some JP to buy tank gear with

you can also choose not to run random HoT and instead run random PRE-Hot herorics. it's a seperate list of dungeons, get all the tank gear from those sets and also build up jp to buy tank gear.

Although the HoT heroics have a separate queue they are still included in cata random heroic.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
If you were on my server I would help you. Turns out a Hunter can serve as a great kite tank in case you die. I've managed to kite tank a few of the bosses already when the Tank died. For some reason I always end up with the next highest threat after the tank.
Reply Quote
Solid advice from Melisaran.

Seconded.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I started to get HoT LFG pops on this guy after getting a few key ilvl 378 upgrades, I still had a few *quest* greens. Yes, I had to endure some hairy eyeballs from some healers, but eventually you do end up getting drops and the justice pts accumulate quick.

Use whatever tanking cd's you can and keep your RL skin thick and you will get through just fine.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/22/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Katrìs
I'd run them with guildmates but there's only like 2 or 3 people tops online at any time these days.

Heya Katris. You could also consider looking for people that are sympathetic to your plight to run with you. Maybe check on your realm's forums to see if there are any players willing to work slowly and patiently through the HoTs with you.

If I wasn't so paranoid about Real-ID, I'd offer to do some cross-realm dungeons, but perhaps others might be more willing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
A while back I healed a paladin tank in through well of eternity in mostly greens. Some of his gear with int/spi. Nobody in the party though he could do it, but he proved us all wrong and did. There were no wipes and nobody pulled threat off of him. Now this is probably a harder thing to do as a DK, but if you reforge everything to mastery you should be ok.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Step 1) get PvP gear to replace greens.

Step 2) Utilize the ignore feature.

Simple as that.
/facepalm
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]