I'd like to gear up to 378 ilvl but...

02/22/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Katrìs
grow thicker skin,

Never a bad thing to do this.

You'll always meet your share of ne'er-do-wells. Don't worry about most people, focus on the positive and shrug off the negative.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Step 1) get PvP gear to replace greens.

Step 2) Utilize the ignore feature.

Simple as that.

this is really bad advice, especially if you want to tank. Dps can get away with this a lot easier then a tank could, the pvp gear offers no mitigation stat what so ever.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I feel your pain I love running the non HoT heroics. As a healer I find it so much easier than running non heroics. 9 times out of 10 I have properly geared tanks and a party that knows what it's doing. Despite being "ilvl" for HoT I can't do it. I've tried and I know I can't. I'm sure I could muffle my way through it somehow but it's not fair for the rest of the party. I can only do what I can do , that is just run normal dungeons, grit my teeth and collect enough JP to get full JP gear so I can at least have that boost.

Another thing that I find it a little unfair in having HoT in with the other heroics, to get Call to arms bag, you have to queue up for HoT. Yet if you do regular you STILL may be slammed into there, but now you don't get the bag.
Reply Quote
91 Worgen Warrior
One time when I was on this character a guild mate asked if anyone wanted to run a heroic with him. I volunteered and forgot to only queue as dps since my ilvl for tanking was like 340ish. I ended up tanking Heroic: Well of Eternity in that gear. We managed to get through the whole dungeon. Sadly, a couple of healers left. :(

But the moral is, if I can tank it so can you! :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Grow thicker skin.

I don't like the whole "I am a tank so you must obey me" thing (mainly because my first character was a dps) but as a tank, you need to think and be one. If anything I would suggest letting them know before you start that you haven't tanked it before BUT you have experience in doing the HoTs. As long as healer is ok with it, you're pretty much golden.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Sorry for a dungeon n00b chiming in, but if the dungeon drops ilvl 378 loot why do people act as though it requires ilvl 378+ loot to run? I guess they don't realize what a stupid catch-22 design that would be if it were the case.
Reply Quote
97 Draenei Paladin
02/22/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Katrìs
I'm a tank. The lfg wants to queue me in to the HoT heroics. My gear isn't that good, but I think I could run them, however I don't feel like putting up with the potential abuse from other players.

I managed to squeeze in my druid tank with no gems, some grens and blues. No enchants.

Did fine. Got some cynical responses from people, but I ignore them. Queue as a tank for HoT. Most groups, especially these days, can more than compensate assuming you are wearing greens.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
02/22/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Rolande
Sorry for a dungeon n00b chiming in, but if the dungeon drops ilvl 378 loot why do people act as though it requires ilvl 378+ loot to run? I guess they don't realize what a stupid catch-22 design that would be if it were the case.
to TL:DR the OP: he'd like to gear up to 378 as a tank but has no tanking gear. would like some advice.
has nothing to do with what you're talking about.

I had a tank that was qualified for HoT because he had DPS gear in the bank. however, my tanking gear was just around 345. I did most encounters with no problems and easily got up to speed after a couple of runs through each of them.

For End times, the only problem i had was Murozond and the trash before him, Baine sucked because people didnt know how to stun him when theys hould, and Tyrande hits hard with her magics.
For Well of Eternity, i had issues with the adds in Azshara. the rest was cake.
For Hour of Twilight, it was pretty smooth sailing.
Edited by Voltaris on 2/22/2012 10:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue

Simple as that.

do this but when your by buying the 377 pvp gear make sure by default it has Mastery. as a tank you stack mastery. and then youll be fine.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
If you're looking to gear up more before going in:

PVP: Honor Points convert to Justice (this is what I did on an AV weekend)
Random Regulars: Justice Points (and these should go really smooth since you'd be not only the tank, but over geared/leveled for them)
Rogue: Use Leftover Justice/Valor to purchase the BOE pieces for your tank
AH: Look for some PVE BOE pieces (only if you've got gold to burn)

I would've added Random Heroics, but since you could end up with one of the newer ones, that's a "how lucky do you feel" option

Or you could tank them now, I didn't look at your armory, but others are saying you'd be fine.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
HoT's instance are very easy. I just started gearing this healer maybe just the other day and haven't had really no problems. Just use your defense cooldowns when your taking a lot damage and watch for your healer mana.

I think out of all my runs to gear up I only had one bad tank and he was geared. lol
Reply Quote
Community Manager
It’s great that you want to gear up your tanking set, Katrìs, and it looks like you’ve already received quite a bit of helpful advice. :)

Since you’ve done the fights on another character, you already have a good idea of what to expect from the Hour of Twilight Heroic dungeons. I just wanted to chime in that if you find those particular Heroics a bit challenging to tank straightaway, you might also consider running some of the other Cataclysm Heroic dungeons or random normal dungeons to start with. You will still be able to obtain some tanking upgrades from boss drops in those dungeons, but more importantly, you will be able to stock up on Justice Points. Then you can use that currency for some purchases to help replace some of the pieces of gear you are most eager to upgrade.
Reply Quote
75 Goblin Rogue
02/22/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Vaeflare
I just wanted to chime in that if you find those particular Heroics a bit challenging to tank straightaway, you might also consider running some of the other Cataclysm Heroic dungeons or random normal dungeons to start with. You will still be able to obtain some tanking upgrades from boss drops in those dungeons, but more importantly, you will be able to stock up on Justice Points. Then you can use that currency for some purchases to help replace some of the pieces of gear you are most eager to upgrade.

I understand this bit, but I'm having a sort-of similar dilemma myself.

I have a full set of mixed crafted/Relentless PvP gear on my Death Knight, but it inflates my average item level by a huge amount even though it is not suitable for tanking HoTs or Zalandaris. So if I queue for "Random Cataclysm Heroic" to try and gear up in the pre-4.1 dungeons, I'll occasionally get HoTs or Zalandari's and I'm way too squishy to tank those effectively. Putting the PvP set in the bank doesn't seem to lower my ilvl as it's seen by the LFD tool.

Short of destroying my PvP set, is there anything I can do to work around this and get placed into the proper dungeons? Or is Blizzard considering tweaking the LFD tool to ignore PvP gear or gear that doesn't match the queued role? As it is now I have to queue for the regular heroics specifically, but I'm losing out on VP/JP by doing this. :'(
Edited by Akeno on 2/22/2012 3:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
95 Human Warlock
I sympathize with the OP - and the answer shouldn't have to be "learn to live with it" or "grow thicker skin." People being jerks should be the exception - but, in this game, it is more often the rule.

I'm a pretty decent player (dont take a lot of damage and dps is always competitive) so I'm rarely the target of wrath, but that doesnt mean I enjoy seeing it unleashed on others. On all my toons (and I have a healer and a tank), I've started leaving groups (even DS LFRs) when people start acting like a jerk (to me or anyone else). It just isn't worth playing with and helping people like that.

I don't pretend to think we can ever change these people, but we don't have to support their playing the game either. This is the single biggest issue I have with WoW - several game mechanics (by incident, not by design) promote hateful behavior.

Even worse (and this one falls on the players, not the game developers), it has become such an integral part of the experience that most people just brush it off as something we have to live with - and that is sad.

Unfortunately, my attitude toward this means I'm pretty much limited to playing with my guildmates, none of whom behave this way. It also means I play considerably less than I did even three months ago. It has gotten nearly unbearable.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
I've always leveled through dunguens so by the time I hit 85 I already have 4k JP just sitting and waiting along with the gear you got naturally from clearing them over and over again. Plus it's nice to be grinding your shoulder enchant as soon as you hit 84 so you can farm rep on the instances that open up at that point in your selection.

But I've leveled 4 tanks now so I kind of set in my ways.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
I'm a tank. The lfg wants to queue me in to the HoT heroics. My gear isn't that good, but I think I could run them, however I don't feel like putting up with the potential abuse from other players.

I'd run them with guildmates but there's only like 2 or 3 people tops online at any time these days.

Do I just forget it and wait for MoP or grow thicker skin, possibly going as far as leaving party chat altogether? I've run these a million times on my rogue and she's fully 378 now. I could just go as dps I guess but I know I'll get crapped on there too since I don't have dps gear and I've never played frost/unholy really and my dps will be garbage.

Do some PvP like mad because your gear is made for it! From here, the first thing to buy are the PvP helm/shoulders. If you're tanking, you're fairly safe reforging the expertise from the shoulders into mastery (DK tanks stack mastery).

Then do even more PvP and convert those points into Justice. Do some dailies and buy a few upgrades that are tankly (+hit and +mastery plate are DPS-ly and tankly so don't deny yourself those) off of the Auction House.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
run as dps for a little while and get some JP to buy tank gear with

you can also choose not to run random HoT and instead run random PRE-Hot herorics. it's a seperate list of dungeons, get all the tank gear from those sets and also build up jp to buy tank gear.

If you're geared for HoT heroics, even if you select normal heroics, the HoT heroics are also in the mix. There is currently no way around it, other than destroying your higher level gear.

Simple as that.

No. Absolutely NO. Tanks do NOT need PvP gear, end of story. DPS is okay, and sometimes healers are okay, but definitely NOT tanks.
Reply Quote
24 Human Warrior
if you're an undergeared tank, the healer is your best friend and the guy that will ensure success. pst him, tell him you're undergeared and ask if he'd be comfortable healing you. that'll let him get his game-face on so there's no surprises. most healers are up for the challenge. if you find the going hard, then you can just re-que and hopefully get a better healer.

as a side note, there are definately healers who's toolbags are more suited for undergeared tanks. before i was geared on my resto druid, undergeared tanks were a challenge to heal. however, at the same ilvls, my resto shaman has no issues at all with undergeared tanks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]