To Experienced/Longtime Players: Alt Leveling

90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm leveling three toons simultaneously on a different server; a Drenaei hunter, a Worgen mage, and a Night Elf druid.

The challenge was starting on a new server with no gold, no maxed professions, no bags, no heirloom gear, etc. Not quite the Ironman Challenge (which I've also tried and was taken down by Chet in Hillsbrad at level 24), but still, it's added a new dimension to the game.

It's also underscored how desperately some professions need to be reviewed. For example, I hadn't realized that inscription doesn't provide much of any use to a lowbie in the form of glyphs. Oh sure, I get a useable glyph every now and then, but I eventually just bought the ones I needed on the AH.

Cooking is a mess, and that's on Alliance side where there's a vendor from which you can buy many of the lower level recipes. My cooking is stuck at 290-ish and I fear that Blizz never changed the requirement that we farm worms in Silithus to get the last few points before Outland.

But overall, I'm enjoying the experience.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I recently came back to wow - ditched my alliance characters and started over on a new server as horde and have enjoyed the 1-60 quests... once I hit outland I did a lot of dungeons. It would be nice to see that area revisited with the wonderful work they did on the 1-60 zones.

Next up I'm working on a Shaman and am excited to go through some new zones.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I've been playing since a month after WoW release, I had 3 characters max level with 3 that were in their mid 70's, I leveled 2 alts from fresh when Cata came out to feel or have the experience. Found out that I fell back in love with darkshore and kalimdor quests as alliance and actually leveled a character kalimdor only, then when I leveled the 2nd one and I went eastern kingdoms - I like the plaguelands and burning steppes, stranglethorn is ok. westfall makes me sad. But now I have 8 max level toons (because of my expansion induced decline for raiding) and I'd just like to say... I hate most parts of vashjir until I get in the mood to do that zone, deepholm is equally aggravating, and I usually give up at about half way in twilight highlands on my alts.
Reply Quote
52 Goblin Rogue
I stopped playing this guy because I felt like I was out-leveling the content too quickly.

Compared to Vanilla days, leveling goes lightning fast now. There are so many ways to speed up experience gains even further, I would like to see a way to slow it down.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Started a Mage from scratch just a couple weeks ago and am enjoying it immensely. Been like, 4 years, since i made a shiny new lvl1 character. I lurv all the new questing content, but i'm actually doing more dungeons this time through, because i avoided them while leveling before, and LFD didn't exist.

He already 75. They grow up so fast.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Yes, things have changed so much since most of my toons went through the areas. Some of the new storylines are amazing, some make me miss old things. Either way it's an evolution that is fun to experience.

I also have this strange need to create new belfs just to quest through Eversong Woods and Ghostlands. I adore the music and scenery there so I guess it's my happy place in WoW that I tend to revisit.
Reply Quote
You know, I hadn't thought of it in this respect lately, but given that I'm currently considering rolling a toon on an RP server, where I'd once again be starting out from scratch, I'm thinking you've just given me the final push into it.

Thanks. :)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
I just recently, as in this week, finally rolled a goblin to see their starting area. It was truly amazing and very fun. It absolutely blew away the Worgen starting area IMO. Not even close.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
World of Warcraft has a lot to explore and seeing something new, or in a different way, can help revitalize the excitement that accompanies our adventures. Every so often I make an alt and slowly explore their surroundings to help reinforce my immersion. I like being filled in on some NPC’s back story that my main character either glossed over or never found out. I also really like the small circle of friends you meet who often are also enjoying a fresh perspective in Azeroth.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I wonder if a scaling process were implemented (optional of course), if it would be more fun as a maxed level toon to go back and play through the old zones. Could even get rid of the whole feeling of being a god when you outlevel content.
Reply Quote
53 Orc Shaman
Great post, Vailence!

I have absolutely leveled up a new race/class combination purely with the intention of experiencing new content. When Cataclysm premiered, I was eager to not only view the new opening cinematics for each race, but I was especially eager to check out the new quests and leveling experiences that became available when the world as we knew it was torn asunder.

In addition to playing through both the worgen and goblin areas multiple times, I also enjoyed trying out some of the new race/class combinations that became available, such as the tauren paladin. I’ve leveled up quite a number of characters over the years, so it was really refreshing to be able to have so much new and exciting story content to go through. I found that I particularly enjoyed taking my time to check out and complete the quest chains in each zone before moving on to the next one. Thankfully, since I had so many fresh alts to choose from, I didn’t have a problem hitting most of the quest hubs scattered around Azeroth over the passing months.

Leveling new alts has continued to be a lot of fun for me, and it’s rather neat being able to take a second-look at pieces of gear in terms of future Transmogrification potential. That sort of thing certainly didn’t pass through my mind when I played through some of those quests and evaluated their rewards originally!

i love playing through many class / race combinations myself but have always hated the rewards offered from quests specially long quest chains. IMO for the time you invest in completing the quest chain the reward should be worth the effort. Along with it the rewards usually don't seem to be a step up from gear you obtain from mobs throughout the chain, and never seem to be geared towards what spec you're playing. rewards IMO should take into account all aspects of the game and offer a reward worth receiving.
If armor is the reward offer gear for all armor types cloth, leather, mail, an plate (after 40 of course) an 2 versions of each so if you're a caster or a brute force type you don't feel left out like we have for the last 5+ years
same for weapons offer all weapon types for both casters and brute force types.
I know asking a lot but in reality no i'm not. IMO rewards should be just that a reward and not vendor trash or enchanting materials they should be something you can use and use for awhile.
Reply Quote
53 Orc Shaman
02/24/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Grimiku
World of Warcraft has a lot to explore and seeing something new, or in a different way, can help revitalize the excitement that accompanies our adventures. Every so often I make an alt and slowly explore their surroundings to help reinforce my immersion. I like being filled in on some NPC’s back story that my main character either glossed over or never found out. I also really like the small circle of friends you meet who often are also enjoying a fresh perspective in Azeroth.

me too so much lush scenery an so much going on around it not to take a step back and take it all in. my only complaint is outlined in the post above
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]