Bad equipment? or just bad?

90 Blood Elf Warlock
Do I do poorly in dungeons because I can't afford better equipment or because I'm doing something wrong? I keep getting yelled at because my dps is so low, but I really don't know what else to do. I know my equipment isn't perfect for my class, but I replace it as I'm able to. I just changed to affliction and am using mostly dot spells. Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
To me it just looks like a gear problem.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warlock
A few notes on the gear that you may or may not be aware of. Better safe than sorry. Also it would be good to let us know what you are pulling for DPS. Are we talking 8k or 4k here?

1) Some spirit gear. This isn't great but it is by no means a deal breaker.
2) 9 pieces of resilience gear. That's over 1700 points of itemization that will go towards useful stats when replaced
3) You have an expertise/agility trinket, which is absolutely and completely worthless. Might as well be an empty trinket slot.
4) 0.77% hit means that you are missing with a majority of your spells. Reforge your gear. Get rid of all of that resilience and bring your hit at least to the dungeon cap (8% I think) and get some haste onto that gear.

All of this is without even going into your rotation, which may be perfect or it may be contributing to the problems.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Thanks! When I log one next time, I will see what I can do. For some reason I usually forget about trinkets. I usually do between 8k-12k. I haven't done one in a few weeks because I got tired of being "yelled" at. I will look at my rotation next time I'm on, too. I can't remember it right now cause I've been changing it lately to improve my dps.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Question, are you running HoT heroics, Cata Heroics, or just Cata normals?

I would suggest starting from the ground up, and just doing Cata normals. Less dps gap there, though you might still get some griping. Once you replace most of your pvp gear, you should be rockin.

Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
A few notes on the gear that you may or may not be aware of. Better safe than sorry. Also it would be good to let us know what you are pulling for DPS. Are we talking 8k or 4k here?

1) Some spirit gear. This isn't great but it is by no means a deal breaker.
2) 9 pieces of resilience gear. That's over 1700 points of itemization that will go towards useful stats when replaced
3) You have an expertise/agility trinket, which is absolutely and completely worthless. Might as well be an empty trinket slot.
4) 0.77% hit means that you are missing with a majority of your spells. Reforge your gear. Get rid of all of that resilience and bring your hit at least to the dungeon cap (8% I think) and get some haste onto that gear.

All of this is without even going into your rotation, which may be perfect or it may be contributing to the problems.

to add to this:

you have no glyphs

you have no enchants

Your spec is off, you have points in immolate which you shouldn't even use in an aff spec.
Check out the ej foums for specs, rotations, stat priority and other info http://elitistjerks.com/f80/
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
02/27/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Lockybalboa

With zero hit rating you wouldn't be missing with a majority of your spells. You have a base 83% chance to hit a target 3 levels above you. Last I checked, 17% is not even close to a majority. And that's against raid bosses and level 88 mobs, which aren't in 5-mans (except Mannoroth in Well of Eternity). The 5-man hit cap is 6%.

And OP, I have absolutely no idea why you have Left Eye of Rajh. The only benefit you're getting from that is the 100 haste rating you reforged the expertise to. Its almost as if you don't have a second trinket equipped. As far as your gear goes, replacing that should be your first priority.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
OP:

You need to pick up Demo for your off spec. Affliction is GREAT, but not in 5-mans where the fights last 20 seconds. It takes 20 seconds just to do all of the affliction crap it takes to apply dots/curse/SS. Keep doing affliction for pvp and keep up practice for raiding maybe.

In demo, Felstorm %#@%s mobs, and you can stack that with hellfire or rain of fire. You'll go from the bottom of the chart to the top easily, even with your resi gear. Then they won't be laughing at your dmg, only your gear. But you'll get that replaced soon enough.

You don't need to do cata normals. Cata heroics are fine for you. Honestly, spend some money, do some quests and get your ilevel up where you can start doing the HoT heroics. Get a guildie tank or healer to walk you through a couple of those, and you'll have at least the quest drops and hopefully the Foul Gift and a few boss drops. You'll be 378 ilevel by the weekend.

When the gap is so great from 84 gear to 85, you're better off doing the quests to get the 365 drops than cata normals or heroics.

Next time you level, save honor points and jp and hit the level cap with max honor and jp. You buy pvp helm and shoulders, chest and gloves from jp, and you instantly are halfway to geared as soon as you level cap.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Question, are you running HoT heroics, Cata Heroics, or just Cata normals?

I would suggest starting from the ground up, and just doing Cata normals. Less dps gap there, though you might still get some griping. Once you replace most of your pvp gear, you should be rockin.

I would get griped at in heroic and HoTs. Normals, I do fine.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Affliction is fine in 5-mans at 85.

Ditch Improved Fear and the Howl of terror talents. Both are -only- useful in PvP.

Ditch Improved Immolate, as stated, you will -never- use Immolate as affliction. Ever. You don't need Demonic Embrace, Demonic Rebirth, or Demonic Aegis in PvE, and those points would be better spent in DPS-increasing talents as you have more than enough survivability as affliction in a PvE setting.

Max Shadow's Embrace and Nightfall in the Affliction tree, Shadow and Flame in the destro tree and Dark Arts in the Demo tree.

Glyph of Haunt, Corruption, and UA are the common Affliction prime glyphs. Major and minor don't offer any real DPS increase except Glyph of Shadow Bolt helps improve your mana sustainability so you won't spend as much time with life taps.

Hit rating. If it has Spirit on it, no matter what, do not roll for it. Rolling on Spirit gear is like rolling on gear with negative intellect because frankly, the loss of points isn't worth buffing the item level.

Haste is your big stat after Int and Hit.

Fix talents first. Then glyphs. Then you can worry about rotation while getting the gear issue settled. I wouldn't bother spending enchants on blue items, especially blue items that are pretty much wasting slots with resilience and spirit.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
I think Tanddoris wrote this thread for me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Get Exalted with Therazane for the shoulder enchant and Hyjal for the head enchant.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
02/27/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Skinflint
I think Tanddoris wrote this thread for me.

No. You're not using an expertise trinket with an agility proc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]