Why are tier sets raid-only now?

90 Blood Elf Warrior
Blizzard was experimenting back in WOTLK when they decided to make tier gear available via points.

Granted, I liked the system because it encouraged players to go out and do heroics to farm up the points, which meant that you'd always have a good mix of players of varying skill levels available, but I hated the system because, well...it encouraged players to go out and do heroics to farm up the points, which meant that you'd always have a good mix of players of varying skill levels available.

02/28/2012 09:03 AMPosted by Jooki
Why do you need raiding gear if you don't raid? The answer is that you don't.

Personally, I like the idea of LFR. I like the idea of having to experience raid content to get your tier, even if it is watered-down. It's fun, it's reasonably easy (I'd say too easy, but if only you've seen some of the LFR I've seen), and a good thing for casual players and raiders-with-alts alike.

OP, your track record isn't awful. Surely, you can spare an hour or two a week to run LFR.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
To force people to use smelly lfr
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
tl;dr i think in MoP the idea is "Valor Points are much much easier to gain (particularly for casuals)... but they are not nearly as powerful."

while i don't know 100% of the Why, it seems as if blizz wants to go back a bit to the loot dropping (and tokens dropping) being more of the emphasis in gearing. my understanding is that it will be really easy to valor cap in MoP: not only quickly through group quests (i think they said MoP 5-mans will be close to Wrath 5-man difficulty - yech. but thats another subject), but you can even just grind face-roll solo daily quests and get valor too! so i think the idea is that if you can get valor THAT easily, then it probably wouldn't make sense to hand all sorts of high-end tier sets through valor at the same time.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
If that's the case, what will we be doing with Justice Points, then?
Reply Quote
02/28/2012 01:49 AMPosted by Ginevra
So why are tier sets raid-only now?

Because we non-raiders don't need them. In fact, tier sets are disadvantageous to us because it makes the non-raid content we do even easier and therefore less enjoyable.

Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
OP is 5/6 heroic BWD and 4/7 heroic FL.

This is obviously a troll thread.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/28/2012 02:01 AMPosted by Squeakydevil
Why do you need tier loot if you arent gonna raid?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Raiding is readily accessible at this point. For the past month my guild was really just raiding on Friday for a few hours and clearing all of DS.

If you don't have a few hours you can spend once a week playing this game then I'm not sure why you'd need the gear.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I actually didn't mind the T10 system where you could buy a base set of tier then were only able to upgrade via the tokens from bosses.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Yeah, but the raw set > token upgrade > token upgrade system only worked because it completely disregarded 10m drops. Now that you have shared loot tables, raiding needs to do something with obtaining tier. You can't just buy the entire set with points and ignore the raid.

At first, the raids were the only way you could get a 4pc, via head or shoulders, but I don't mind the current system the way it is now. I just wish I could get more pieces.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Entitled Wrath baby syndrome. I liked WotlK, but it spawned an absolutely awful generation of players.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Well, she done her heroic raiding content, so OP has that on her side.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
02/28/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Djami
Why do these people still want tier gear?

Didn't you know? Fishing and Cooking dailys are hard without having a 384+ Equipped Content Level.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
<-----Wrath baby here. I think the ICC model they used was decent. Solved the issue of not being able to get the drops you needed in 10 man while 25 gave you upgraded version via the tokens. But now that 10/25 share a lockout and loot table I like having the tier only drop from raids. Nothing frustrated me more than when I saw someone in all valor gear and troll heroic gear and not being able to pull the numbers I did in greens at the start of the expac. If you want raid level gear, go raid for it, otherwise whats the incentive to raid after youve killed all the bosses?

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
02/28/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Djami
Why do these people still want tier gear?

As crazy as it is to believe, some of this stuff looks damned cool. And hey, non-raiders want upgrades just as much as raiders do, even if they're not going to raid with it.

The drive to upgrade is a universal one, and I don't fault anyone that, but to say that making raid gear drop only from raids is restrictive is laughable when you consider how easy it is to get into LFR. Now your chances might suck, but it's still a chance.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
BiS items (the VP items are not BiS purposely for this, right? seems that way with what I can buy from them)

Of course. Are you suggesting that the best gear in the game should come from something like a 5-man?

Heroic Mode gear

Well, yes. When you do Heroic Mode, you get Heroic gear. What's the problem here?

Rep Rewards

There are plenty of non-raid reputations. The only raiding rep this expansion also came with a reputation that was able to be farmed with dailies. I think that is plenty fair.

Craftable Patterns

Which can be purchased on the auction house if you so desire.

Epic Gems

Which can be purchased on the auction house if you so desire.

Legendaries

Of course. Are you suggesting that the best gear in the game should come from something like a 5-man?

Prestigious Titles/Achievements/Mounts

There are plenty of "prestigious" titles, achievements and mounts from solo achievements, like The Insane or the Purple Proto Drake. Both are very hard and require no current tier raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
02/28/2012 09:43 PMPosted by Sebudai
There are plenty of non-raid reputations. The only raiding rep this expansion also came with a reputation that was able to be farmed with dailies. I think that is plenty fair.

Correction. The Avengers of Hyjal reputation could only be gained via killing mobs. You're thinking of the Guardians of Hyjal.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
As crazy as it is to believe, some of this stuff looks damned cool. And hey, non-raiders want upgrades just as much as raiders do, even if they're not going to raid with it.

The drive to upgrade is a universal one, and I don't fault anyone that

It may be a universal drive, but some are driven more than others. If you don't want to put the time or effort into raiding, that's fine, but why should you be rewarded for not raiding with the same BiS gear that raiders busted their asses for?

That's like saying that because everyone wants to make more money, everyone should be entitled to a promotion at some point regardless of how much they actually do at work.

EDIT: Judging from the rest of your post I think you do actually agree with my point here, that analogy is intended as a counter to those like the OP who think raid gear should be available to non-raiders.
Edited by Silverbolt on 2/29/2012 2:52 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]