Low DPS

85 Undead Warlock
Hey all, this is my first thread so please be kind lol.

Basically I'm having trouble with my DPS in raids. Just recently was in a pug DS group on Madness fight and I struggled to do 30k damage when everyone else was doing 40-45k. I have been trying out all three specs to see what I am better as and I find that with all three I still barely do 30k DPS. I prefer playing as Destruction and Affliction and have tried Demon but can't seem to get used to it. And I'm certain I have decent enough gear, all enchanted and reforged correctly. I even look up forums and blogs on good rotations and most of them say keep all dots ticking, and spam Incinerate or Shadow Bolt, depending on spec. So what am I doing wrong? I love playing as a Warlock and love raiding, when I can, but I hate being lowest on meters and causing groups to hit berserk. Any suggestions or info is really appreciated, thanks (:
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I do about 50-52k dps on my lock in destro, its all about rotations and keeping your buffs up have you tried studying up and reading the class?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
One of the best things you can do for that fight is find a way to make use of mechanics.

For example, Spell-weave doesn't proc off Bane Of Havoc, don't rely on it.
A lot of your damage will come from Spell-Weave so check if it procs off ticks or casts and adjust accordingly.

Also, see if you can reach that next haste cap.. (2589?) you're pretty close to it. If you already are, it's because your off-hand is bugging out currently and showing me a 404 error. I take it that's Orb of the First Satyrs? I see most of your gear is reforged into haste, and you've got orange gems in yellow sockets for haste min/maxing with socket bonuses, but you've also got 5/5 T13, can you switch 1 piece out with a Valor item that provides more haste? Or haste at all if a piece doesn't come with it?
Edit: Like, shoulders, can you find any 397 shoulders with haste?
Edited by Grammond on 2/28/2012 7:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Yeah I have read up about destro rotation and seem to be doing the same.
In LFR I can top dps meters doing 40k on the fight but normal version I'm really low. I know LFR is designed different but it's a pretty big gap.

So not being haste caped makes a big difference? I can swap a t13 piece for valor when I have enough VP. I went to the site Ask Mr. Robot and optimised my gear accordingly and it helped but I still lag behind other classes.

My rotation is soulburn to use soul fire and I always keep that up. Then have curse of elements on the target, corruption, bane of doom, immolate, conflag, incinerate once back draft procs and chaos bolt as filler. Then basically rinse and repeat. Anything I'm missing?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
First off, you are under the hit cap. No matter how much under you are, it's always bad. Secondly, your gloves should be the Gloves of Liquid Smoke instead of set gloves.
You are reforged correctly, except mastery>crit for destro. If you are switching between destro and affliction a lot though it doesn't really matter. And haste caping does make a difference, in both destro and affliction. The only difference is affliction continues to benefit from haste while destro doesn't.

Prority should be keeping ISF up 90% of the time, and between using SB on cooldown and Imp procs, you may have to hard cast SF only once. For dots, cast Immolate FIRST. Always cast the dot with a cast time first, casting corruption right out of the cast. After corruption blast conflagorate, then BoD. Use Shadowflame and chaos bolt on cooldown, then Incinerate as a filler. Imp procs should be used asap to prevent it being overwritten by other procs, so I suggest binding it to something you can hit quickly (I use + on the num pad).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
02/28/2012 08:06 AMPosted by Pestílence
My rotation is soulburn to use soul fire and I always keep that up. Then have curse of elements on the target, corruption, bane of doom, immolate, conflag, incinerate once back draft procs and chaos bolt as filler. Then basically rinse and repeat. Anything I'm missing?

Your opening rotation should be Soulburn: Soulfire, CoE, Immo, Conflag, BoD, Corr, Shadowflame(if in melee), Chaos Bolt(Optional), Incinerate(filler). Then you just follow the priority system which it looks like you know well enough. However, why you would use CB as filler is interesting because it has a CD unlike incinerate.

Also, swap out your incinerate glyph for conflag. Conflag is your main nuke spell and having a shorter CD on it will increase your overal damage done. Get the glyph of life tap as well, it is a necessity. Replace the healthstone glyph for life tap.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/28/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Tenutö

Your opening rotation should be Soulburn: Soulfire, CoE, Immo, Conflag, BoD, Corr, Shadowflame(if in melee), Chaos Bolt(Optional), Incinerate(filler). Then you just follow the priority system which it looks like you know well enough. However, why you would use CB as filler is interesting because it has a CD unlike incinerate.

Also, swap out your incinerate glyph for conflag. Conflag is your main nuke spell and having a shorter CD on it will increase your overal damage done. Get the glyph of life tap as well, it is a necessity. Replace the healthstone glyph for life tap.

You are wasting time on the 4pc buff by casting SB:SF before CoE. GoLT is worthless for destro because you shouldn't be running out of mana in any but the most extreme aoe situations. Make sure to use DS when you can actually gain benefits from it, eg. not before casting the spells it doesn't benefit from, like Corr/BoD/CoE.
Reply Quote
75 Human Priest
my advice never use shadow bolt are soul fire are chaos bolt they are a joke they just piss off the target they hit they do no damage
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]