Message from Mike Morhaime

(Locked)

61 Human Mage
02/29/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Glyff
If by "basic human nature" you mean "obliviously devoid of intelligence" then I guess you hit it spot on. How about you write up some PowerPoints about the positive aspects of a business spending money just "because they make 'enough'".

Firing in an economic climate in this country that is obsessed with jobs is bad PR. Even if you have some excess it's better to lose through attrition and not rehire than to dive on a political and economic third rail in this country right now like job loss. With 4 straight quarters of diminishing subscriptions on their track record, they are not well served by advertising any sign of weakness. Being the biggest fish in MMO-town is something of its own revenue generator for Blizzard so announcing that they are going to be providing a lot less support and some less development is a red flag.

Nothing was said about "providing a lot less support and some less development" and the document actually states: "The World of Warcraft®development team will not be impacted".
This nixes both of your complaints above.

You are very naive, about real world business, if you actually believe the things you said here. Big businesses, banks and loads of other companies have to take stock of their current situation and resources periodically and hire, or let people go based on the financial health and future strategic planning for the company.

It is never a good thing to be on the losing end of this process (been there/done that), but then there is no process that can guarantee someone that they will never, ever be without a job. Is the "new world" we are marching into suppose to guarantee that such a thing will never happen? There isn't enough money in the world to make that happen.

My heart truly goes out to those who have been laid off. I have been through this myself and members of my family have recently returned to work after being let go. One of them worked for a company for 14 years when he was laid off. The company was a large national insurer.

Too many people know too little about business and are looking at the current serious economic problems in this country (and everywhere else) through some jaded misconception that businesses survive without constant reassessment of costs and products.
Businesses that do not do so (and do not do it WELL) die....they cease to exist. When that happens NOBODY has a job.

Demonizing business rather than the causes of the current economic issues is playing into the hands of those who do not have the best interests of anyone in mind in the long run.
I will stop now before this turns more political (though there are practically NO innocent politicians in our sinking ship).
78 Goblin Hunter
My sympathies go out to everyone who has lost their job, this is beyond brutal. Hope they all land on their feet quickly and easily.
Edited by Hammersmark on 2/29/2012 12:46 PM PST
90 Human Hunter
Merge lower population servers together!
90 Tauren Hunter
This is rough.

While we may never get the full answer as to why Blizzard let so many people go we can't deny that what they did was rough on the employees and their families. Especially in a market that currently stinks. My heart goes out to all of them and I wish nothing but good luck to them in finding a position quickly so they are not stuck in a situation that is so difficult to get out of.

I want to believe that Morhaime and the rest of the Blizz top brass genuinely feel sorry to have let so many people go but ultimately I know that a few months down the road they won't even flinch if it is brought up.
90 Worgen Warrior
When I jokingly said fire the custodial staff... I didn't actually think they'd do it.

/salute 600. Maybe having Blizz on your resume will get you somewhere soon.
Mike - we heard Staats was laid off. He was one of your major designers and working on Titan - does this mean that there's no additional MMO in the works by Blizz any longer?

:sadface:
90 Worgen Warrior
Mike - we heard Staats was laid off. He was one of your major designers and working on Titan - does this mean that there's no additional MMO in the works by Blizz any longer?

You heard, or did he say he was?

Keep in mind the rumor mill will be in full production for awhile.
37 Blood Elf Priest

Hes on GW2 now.
90 Tauren Paladin
02/29/2012 09:43 AMPosted by ßreakingbads
People needed to get fired over how bad Cataclysm is

I'm surprised your ignorant venomous post hasn't been deleted.

EDIT: Also, are you aware your character name says "Ssreakingbads"?
Edited by Palaurus on 2/29/2012 1:09 PM PST
85 Draenei Shaman
Blizz, as I'm sure you know, the forum goers will find any reason to bash you. You could have posted that you were hiring 60,000 more employees and they would have spouted the exact same vitriol with the exact same reasoning.

Regroup, reassess, return.

For those laid off, I feel your pain, having been through that with the housing bubble burst. Keep a level head and find your next line of work, it could be anywhere.
85 Troll Rogue
And the downfall begins. Investors run to the bank while you can!!!!!!!!!!!
90 Pandaren Shaman
Not really,with over 1 million signing up for annual pass, that 1 million free copies of D3 given away, so no income there
Edited by Meshamey on 2/29/2012 1:11 PM PST
85 Troll Rogue
The thing that bothers me about this whole issue is that it was made public. If you're going to "trim the fat" in a company or buisness, you never publically announce that you've let go of X number of employees. That's going to generate more negitive publicity and affect your shareholders in a negitive manner.

This is a matter that should have been kept inside the company's doors, not thrown on the internet where everyone can see.

LMAO
85 Troll Rogue
I would honestly love it if they consolidated the servers. Especially the RP realms. There's so few realms where actual roleplay occurs - the others are simply labelled RP, but none happens. It's depressing.
90 Human Rogue
merge those low pop servers now! its a good thing! saves you money and gets people together!
85 Troll Rogue
The thing that bothers me about this whole issue is that it was made public. If you're going to "trim the fat" in a company or buisness, you never publically announce that you've let go of X number of employees. That's going to generate more negitive publicity and affect your shareholders in a negitive manner.

This is a matter that should have been kept inside the company's doors, not thrown on the internet where everyone can see.
I think it would be worse if those 600 people were fired, and then people who knew them found out and a whole whirlwind of !@#$ occurred from this mass-firing being kept secret.
85 Troll Shaman
Not really,with over 1 million signing up for annual pass, that 1 million free copies of D3 given away, so no income there

The triple charging for the real life auction house will more then make up the cost of the game.

These cuts were known in November. Blizzard shot the rumor down at the time on the forums. Yet here we are.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/08/blizzard-john-staats-let-go-mass-layoffs-just-a-rumor/
61 Human Mage

Yeah, right, we all know how well these kinds of things are kept "secret" in the day and age of the internet and a 24 hour news cycle. You are at least 10 years behind the times.

They were better off getting their point of view out there early to beat the leakers and rumor mills to the punch.
85 Troll Rogue
02/29/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Pineapplish
merge those low pop servers now! its a good thing! saves you money and gets people together!

Agree ... most servers are nothing more than a wasteland. They need to put MM back into Online.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]