Message from Mike Morhaime

(Locked)

90 Gnome Priest
This really sucks for all those employees. =<
88 Undead Rogue
The thing that bothers me about this whole issue is that it was made public. If you're going to "trim the fat" in a company or buisness, you never publically announce that you've let go of X number of employees. That's going to generate more negitive publicity and affect your shareholders in a negitive manner.

This is a matter that should have been kept inside the company's doors, not thrown on the internet where everyone can see.
I think it would be worse if those 600 people were fired, and then people who knew them found out and a whole whirlwind of !@#$ occurred from this mass-firing being kept secret.

I agree, generally you are better off to admit when something negative has to happen. If you don't announce it officially then the people who get laid off will end up saying it somewhere else and it turns into a 'behind closed doors' kind of situation which always ends up messy.

Not sure how it works in the states but in NZL I believe by law you are required to announce large lay offs.
02/29/2012 01:02 PMPosted by Lovcia
Hes on GW2 now.

Doubtful. He's probably still under a non-compete. Link if you aren't trolling.
85 Troll Rogue
GW2 is actually Titan.

SHOCK HORROR.
90 Worgen Mage
02/29/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Vanbracken
Hes on GW2 now.

Doubtful. He's probably still under a non-compete. Link if you aren't trolling.

Non-compete after being laid-off/fired? Who would ever agree to that? That is, unless he got a fat severance package to go along with it.
34 Blood Elf Paladin
I wish the best for the GMs that have experienced this today. I bet many were affected emotionally by this business choice, and those that were not laid off almost certainly know somebody that was laid off, whether its a colleague, a friend, a room mate, or even spouse.

As a player, and somebody who has been through multiple companies in the past, I absolutely hate seeing this happen, and I know its not fun for anybody. The worst decisions are the ones you don't want to make, and they are supported by the facts you wish you didn't have to admit to. However, as much as we don't like to see it, a video game company is still that: a company, although its hard to recognize the actual company due to most ppls interaction with the company is limited to a video game, or watching/part-taking in Blizzcon. We will find ourselves emerged into a world that will make us, sometimes, forget to see the bigger picture of things.

When it comes to company choices like this, people will always find themselves to disagree with it, but have to struggle and, in the end, respect the fact that whoever is turning that steering wheel knows where they are going. As players, I feel that we should not overgeneralize this business decision to any personality, "evil plots", or betrayal of those steering that wheel, but I invite players to see, or try to see, this for what it is: a business decision that will *hopefully* be for the better.

In the small picture, every single one of these lay offs are a drastic change in somebody's life, and as people we sympathize and hope for the best that Blizzard is taking care of them.

In the big picture, we should try our best to respect the choice.
Edited by Vorixa on 2/29/2012 1:23 PM PST
85 Tauren Paladin

I think it would be worse if those 600 people were fired, and then people who knew them found out and a whole whirlwind of !@#$ occurred from this mass-firing being kept secret.

I agree, generally you are better off to admit when something negative has to happen. If you don't announce it officially then the people who get laid off will end up saying it somewhere else and it turns into a 'behind closed doors' kind of situation which always ends up messy.

Not sure how it works in the states but in NZL I believe by law you are required to announce large lay offs.

Part of that severance package will be a "shut ur mouth" clause. The only reason that they published this is to answer the question: "What are you doing to turn around the profits we are used to seeing from Blizzard?"

Their answer is : "We cancled Blizzcon, and are laying off 600 non-essencial personel"

That and only that is the reson for a press release.

If you truely believe that WoW development is not gonna be affected.... Just wait for the massive end game content that will be amazing and come out faster than ever before... WE ARE SO EXCITED........... waiting......... oh it just happened..... u are right ...... a-mazing.....
Edited by Brewsky on 2/29/2012 1:23 PM PST
85 Undead Mage
Well there's a couple explanations for firing. One is that the company needs to scale back its labor force, in which case it says nothing about the quality of the people being fired. Blizzard is a prestigious company but not only that there are many competitors that have risen to emulate their MMORPG model of WoW. I'm sure that those companies which are expanding would love to have access to new hires with considerable experience in the field.

On the other hand, these people could have been inept and hindering efficient development of content across their various platforms.

I assume its the former, in which case my condolences go out to those who have been fired, I know what its like to be unemployed and looking for a job, however, I have the utmost confidence that they will find new jobs.

Either way.. looking forward to D3 release date.
85 Dwarf Paladin
actually, laying people off is something you want to announce as it tends to bring your stock price up. However, it doesn't seem like it did much for ATVI as they seemed to have followed the market in a down-slope today.
90 Draenei Hunter
Wish those looking for a new job the best.
85 Tauren Paladin
Hopefully it's the Forum Moderators, its a non-essential job function. Put in a text filter for language and let people talk.

I think paying people to sit and respond to "Please do not post in all caps" to be a pretty inept use of funds.
Edited by Mitgation on 2/29/2012 3:23 PM PST
When it comes to company choices like this, people will always find themselves to disagree with it, but have to struggle and, in the end, respect the fact that whoever is turning that steering wheel knows where they are going.

Bobby Kotick
85 Dwarf Paladin
it's really a shame how corporations all around the world, of all varieties, operate by the same heartless cutthroat principles at the end of the day. WoW lost subscribers, so instead of addressing why that happened, you're going to fire people who had nothing to do with the reason WoW lost subscribers, to continue making the same amount of profit with fewer subscribers.

People with families and kids will be jobless soon because like all corporations, you're only loyal to the stockholders and the bottom line, not to your employees, and you don't even care to know why the game is driving people away as long as you can find a way to keep making the $$. That about sum it up?

You act like this is the ONLY job these 600 people could've POSSIBLY had. They'll find new work (if they havn't already) and life will move on.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]