Message from Mike Morhaime

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
Too many staff is the reason it's taken them 12 years to develop Diablo III? It's the reason the PVE raid and non-raid content past T11 in WoW was absolutely anemic / non-existant for the life of this entire expansion? Because they had too many people working on it. Of course.

See my other post please.... About how legal people and marketing people affect development time (TLDR: They don't)

Also Diablo 3 hasn't been in development for 12 year but thank you try again.
85 Tauren Druid
Companies always have to do a clean up sometimes, Best Wishes to all the family going through this.
20 Draenei Priest
If anyone can not see the correlation between 1.8 million subs lost in the last year and this 600 person lay off... they truly need their heads examined.

I loved the 100's of posts that fan boys kept saying... "what do I care if they loose subs?" Well if your one of those 600 you care... if your related to one of those 600 you care, and if your still playing the game and your experience is worse due to the 600 (and surly more to come) I bet you care...
60 Night Elf Druid
I'm curious what an example of one of the overstaffed positions would be. As players, we are blind to just about everybody but the CM team, CDevs, the artists, sound people, programmers, designers, tech support, and game masters. And I'm fairly sure you didn't cut any of those folks. Right?
62 Human Mage
02/29/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Sheeana
How many of those jobs were relocated to India or some other third world toilet. Thanks for supporting the US economy Blizz. You're happy to drain it, but not willing to put back into it.

Where did your mind go there? You jump on a far out asssumption that you materialized from thin air and then start ripping Blizz for some made up "sin" they have commited?

What is wrong with you?

90 Night Elf Hunter
02/29/2012 10:19 AMPosted by Drumith

11 years, started in 2001 by Blizzard North
90 Night Elf Druid
one day Blizzard, i hope you will over throw your Activision overlords.

it's sad to hear that this has to be, but i'm glad that they are offered severance packages and benefits.

it seems the people they are letting go aren't people they could reallocate to other positions, based on the number of job openings still listed on their company website.
90 Draenei Mage
02/29/2012 10:19 AMPosted by Drumith

Really? Perhaps you should check again.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_3_History#2000:_Work_Begins_on_Diablo_III

Blizzard North was plotting this sequel as early as 2000.
90 Tauren Hunter

Where did your mind go there? You jump on a far out asssumption that you materialized from thin air and then start ripping Blizz for some made up "sin" they have commited?

What is wrong with you?

There's nothing wrong with me - what's wrong with you that you can't see the trend that Blizzard has followed? 4+ years now, US companies have been doing this en masse. It's not new, and just because you haven't personally experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Crawl out from under your rock and look at how the real world exists sometime.
Many software companies are actually bring jobs back from India because the turnover there is so high, and it isn't profitable to get someone trained in and comfortable enough to be fully productive, only to have them leave a short while later and start the process over.
Edited by Rukentuts on 2/29/2012 10:25 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
02/29/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Ryegeleye

Really? Perhaps you should check again.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_3_History#2000:_Work_Begins_on_Diablo_III

Blizzard North was plotting this sequel as early as 2000.

You also missed the part where they basically scrapped the whole project in 2005 and started again.

I'm horrified that anyone would think that someone should be fired over how a game turned out. Those of you who are saying people should be fired over the state of Cataclysm should feel awful for thinking such a terrible thing.

What's happening to those employees must be devastating, and my heart goes out to them. I hope that they will be able to find comfort and steady new jobs as quickly as possible.

they are a corporation that makes stuff, if the stuff they make is bad enough to lose them costumers, someone is getting fired. what planet are you from that you dont see this as common sence?
90 Draenei Mage
02/29/2012 10:25 AMPosted by Drumith
You also missed the part where they basically scrapped the whole project in 2005 and started again.

Scrapping it and starting all over does not mean that they didn't start in 2000. If what they came up with in those five years was trash, it was trash. But they have been working on that game for 12 years.
90 Tauren Hunter
Many software companies are actually bring jobs back from India because the turnover there is so high.

omg what a wonderful and hopeful thought!
Hopeful? It's what the corporation I work for is doing. We can't keep positions in India for like 18 months without having to rehire. It's so bad that we have to continually have new applicants in the HR pipeline.
90 Night Elf Druid
02/29/2012 10:27 AMPosted by Ryegeleye
Scrapping it and starting all over does not mean that they didn't start in 2000. If what they came up with in those five years was trash, it was trash. But they have been working on that game for 12 years

W/e think what you want but the diablo 3 that is goign to be released this year, the project started in 2005.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]