Message from Mike Morhaime

(Locked)

100 Tauren Druid
Hey. Could we not turn this thread into a bash-fest on Blizzard?

The people being let go deserve a bit more respect than that.
100 Night Elf Rogue
02/29/2012 09:52 AMPosted by Avais
operations

They may have more servers than they used to, but I'm willing to bet their overall operational needs have plummeted as technology has improved over the age of the game.

It used to be that they could argue that sub fees used to go to paying for the server costs. That cost is low enough in relation to other costs now a-days (which is why sub-free is more attractive to other companies, like GW2).

I think sub-free is probably more attractive to other companies because it's the only way they're going to compete with WoW. Sure, some players might be willing to pay subscription fees for multiple games, but not nearly all of them. Heck, I'm not.
67 Human Mage
02/29/2012 10:23 AMPosted by Sheeana

Where did your mind go there? You jump on a far out asssumption that you materialized from thin air and then start ripping Blizz for some made up "sin" they have commited?

What is wrong with you?

There's nothing wrong with me - what's wrong with you that you can't see the trend that Blizzard has followed? 4+ years now, US companies have been doing this en masse. It's not new, and just because you haven't personally experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Crawl out from under your rock and look at how the real world exists sometime.

There is nothing in your post that is real world, dude. If you understood anything about business you would realize that.

Everything you shot out was pure imagined, assumed, made up and then you fire off accusations that are only in your head.

How do you define any of that as "look at how the real world exists sometime"?

Speak with some logic and facts and I will respect your opinion, whether I agree with it or not, but THAT was NOT logic, or fact, but a negative rant based on nothing but the voices in your head.
90 Orc Hunter
Thanks for being public and candid about this announcement. This may be unrelated, but I have noticed a drastic decrease in the amount of time it takes to have a service ticket completed.
QFT.

Also, wish the best of luck to you all.
85 Human Paladin
Fire the dev team, hire Skyrims developers!

85 Tauren Paladin
I love how 600 people losing their job in this economy is allowing you to "keep making epic game content while serving players effectively". Quarterly profits are numbers, if investors can not get over cycles of business then maybe our economy is doomed.

I was promised more content in a shorter time frame, what I recieved was far less content in the same time frame. I am sure that this decision will effect this even further. 600 jobs are being lost, 10% of those are development, so 60 jobs. This is a shame.

To those that have lost and are losing their jobs I hope that you will find a new possition as soon as possible. Keep looking and know that you are not alone.

Yo Mikey any of those board members decide to maybe take a pay cut to save a few families? How bout you? CAPITALISM: (blizzard) WORKING AS INTENDED

Next time just cut the jobs, save the announcement to boost you stocks, this is embarrassing.
90 Night Elf Druid
02/29/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Replika

Haha, no. Do you know how buggy Skyrim was?
100 Undead Warlock
Very sorry to all of those affected. I have to wonder if Blizzard would have continued to push out content at a pace where players did not feel bored if this could have been avoided. One year, eight months, six months, and x month gaps between major new content leaves players wanting something more.
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/29/2012 10:27 AMPosted by Drumith
W/e think what you want but the diablo 3 that is goign to be released this year, the project started in 2005.

Which was a redesign of a previous project. What is hard to understand about this?

Time was invested in the project, which later was decided to have been time wasted, which later was decided to not have been as big of a waste as previously thought, and work continued on the project. These are facts, both projects are related.
100 Night Elf Rogue
If anyone can not see the correlation between 1.8 million subs lost in the last year and this 600 person lay off... they truly need their heads examined.

I loved the 100's of posts that fan boys kept saying... "what do I care if they loose subs?" Well if your one of those 600 you care... if your related to one of those 600 you care, and if your still playing the game and your experience is worse due to the 600 (and surly more to come) I bet you care...

http://xkcd.com/552/
85 Tauren Shaman
My only complaint is that you should get Mike Morhaime to make an account on the forms and post this himself (on all regions) instead of having a CM do it for him.
90 Night Elf Druid
02/29/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Drumith

Haha, no. Do you know how buggy Skyrim was?

Do you know how buggy WoW was/is?

Heroic Warmaster Blackhorn's Fire Mechanic was bugged the first 13 weeks - hopefully when I go into DSoul tonight it will have been fixed with 4.3.3.

All games have bugs. The user was probably praising the sheer epic power behind Skyrim's storytelling.
67 Human Mage
02/29/2012 10:33 AMPosted by Fallenchaos
My only complaint is that you should get Mike Morhaime to make an account on the forms and post this himself (on all regions) instead of having a CM do it for him.

Because?....
90 Human Mage
That's too bad. Best of luck to the people that are being let go. Although I have no idea why this is happening... WoW still has 8+ million subs and has make a KILLING on Petstore mounts/pets and the card game. I just don't get it.
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/29/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Anonymia
Because?....

Because it shows a personal interest in appearing sincere when breaking bad news as apposed to a faceless CEO who dicates something for an underling to scurry along an post.
90 Night Elf Druid
All games have bugs. The user was probably praising the sheer epic power behind Skyrim's storytelling.

Which still doesn't have anything to do with the developers...... That would be the story writers.

100 Night Elf Druid
I hope u guys keep doing good job at new version and new games, and when u get a patch work on it, if something gets wrong listen to what most of us as players want in game to keep us in game having fun.

85 Tauren Paladin
Oh ya dont touch the CM's

question: do the CM's report that the community doesn't want them to be laidoff? or do you avoid this topic like the plague?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Wow that's lame! what a way to start 2012, good morning~ no longer co-workers. Here is 2 months pay, benefits for 90 days and a letter of thanks, have a good one!

Oh and by the way, Say thanks to Activision for this...

What makes me go O.o is this number, 5,000,000 = paid wow accounts, times $14.95 = $74,750,000.00~ that's just game subs alone! for a month! who the hell is saying they don't make money... blizzard has what like 5,000 people working for them? ok so pay them, um say $25~ an hour X 40 hours = about 20,000,000~ a month. so where is the problem with funds?

Blizzard is still left with close to $54,750,000.00~ after paying employees.

that's just wow subs alone too... and not even the total!!!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]