Message from Mike Morhaime

(Locked)

62 Human Mage
02/29/2012 11:13 AMPosted by Vóde
Capitalism sucks at times. It is the only medium that I have ever encountered where morality can be swept under the carpet for what people consider a justified excuse. I have been laid off six times in the last eight years, and I can tell you it is not fun.

Yeah, you should apply for a job in one of those countries that are not capitalist based and see if you would find that more satisfying.

Being laid off is no fun for anyone, but to make capitalism the culpret, rather than recognizing how the horrid debt issues (plus corrupt politicians, etc.) help to create the environment for
an economic downturn and job losses is like beating the horse because the buggy wheel fell off.
02/29/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Moonslayer
one day Blizzard, i hope you will over throw your Activision overlords.
Activision does not own Blizzard. How many time do you people need to be told this?

02/29/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Brewsky
600 jobs are being lost, 10% of those are development, so 60 jobs. This is a shame.

None of them are from the WoW team. It might be now that D3 is almost done, they are cutting back on it's devs.

As others have said...good luck to the 600 or so. At least you have a reference from a world leader in its industry.
90 Human Warlock
Good luck to those let go.
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/29/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Solaru
Activision does not own Blizzard. How many time do you people need to be told this?

While true that Activision does not technically own Blizzard, Vivendi does, Activision/Blizzard is CEO'd by a one Robert Kotick, former CEO of Activision. So yes in a way Activision does own Blizzard.

Educate yourself

http://www.vivendi.com/vivendi/ACTIVISION-BLIZZARD,954

Robert Kotick is Mike Morhaime's boss. Pure and simple.
100 Tauren Druid
02/29/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Solaru
600 jobs are being lost, 10% of those are development, so 60 jobs. This is a shame.

None of them are from the WoW team.

Is there a different announcement somewhere?
90 Human Mage
Oh dear, more fodder for those who already wear tinfoil hats.

In better news from the press release found here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120229005855/en/Blizzard-Entertainment-Announces-Staff-Reductions

"The company anticipates approximately 90% of the affected employees will come from departments not related to game development. The World of Warcraft® development team will not be impacted."

Hopefully the press release will clear up some of the chicken littles skys.

To add and I forgot to add the most important part because i'm tired. To those being let go, I hope and wish the best for you.
Edited by Fairadey on 2/29/2012 11:38 AM PST
90 Human Paladin
Are there any possibilities to just reclassify people elsewhere instead of just kicking em out?
Anyways.. Best of luck to every Blizzard employee that is getting affected by this decision, just keep in mind that having a Blizzard job as past experience on your curriculum is a big plus. Stay positive peeps!
1 Blood Elf Mage
Since Mike Morhaime posted on Bashiok's account, maybe they fired him too.
02/29/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Rorayles
Educate yourself

I would suggest you do the same. When Vivendi set up Acti/Blizz, the 2 game developers would remain independent. Vivendi has owned Blizz since '98 and has been committed to it's independence since.

Wrong. These are customer support representatives based in Austin being let go. Most of them folks who have been there for years.

I was talking about the 60 devs not being from the WoW team.

02/29/2012 11:28 AMPosted by Mishotem
Is there a different announcement somewhere?

Linked from MMO-C:
The World of Warcraft® development team will not be impacted.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120229005855/en/Blizzard-Entertainment-Announces-Staff-Reductions

74 Night Elf Druid
Lets just wait and see what the affected employee's say, I am sure they will be talking after all an anonymous source is immune to confidentiality agreements.

In either case, Blizzard appears to be heading the path of other soulless cooperations now. Such as EA,and Ubisoft. If only they could shake the stranglehold activision has on them.'

Kudo's for giving severance packages because most companies just fire the employee's.

I still expect a fully staffed customer support team just letting you know now. I also don't intend to buy any future products now.

What the heck are you going off about -- Blizzzard is evil and soul-less for managing their staff like any sane, rational and smart business does in other industries around the world on a daily basis? What a "non fun" business like an accounting firm or say UPS does it and its business as usual...but the company that makes your precious game does it and they are evil and don't deserve any more loyalty from you as a customer?

You sir (or ma'am) are quite ridiculous....and if that is your real feelings...you have a huge awakening in store for you when you finally enter the real work force at a "real" job.
85 Orc Warrior
They may have not gutted the entire development team, but the statement does insinuate some developers were fired. That being said, the last expansion to me, seems to have already suffered from lack of development. The beginning was okay, but as it progressed, all we got was tons of rehashed or lazy content, and half the total bosses of previous expansions. Considering one of the goals of cataclysm was "more end game content than ever before" I feel that the loyal subscribers that actually did stay with wow deserve much more. The only answer we get is "wait for mop, we'll fix it then". That is a crappy answer that is just flat out offensive to people like me who have been loyal customers for years on end at this point.

And before people mention RF and rbgs, Raid finder is a joke that takes about 45 minutes to clear in total on a good run, and its not challenging or exciting in any way shape or form. RBG's are cool, but good luck getting in them on 3/4 of servers, where the player base has dwindled to sickeningly low portions. And although pvp has never been balanced, certain classes were not competitive at all (arms, enh, several other) while other classes were one man armies that never received so much as the slightest nerf (frost mages, ferals). In past expansions, things like this happened, but generally weren't allowed to continue for as long as they did.

The people that actually stay deserve better considering what this game was in the past. And if the lackluster end game content continues on in MoP, good luck holding subscribers, because if the game has another expac as bad as cata, it will hail the extreme decline of this game, something I would hate to see.
Edited by Axeplay on 2/29/2012 11:48 AM PST
85 Human Mage
I really hope one or more executives are included in the downsizing - at some point, somebody somewhere thought those 600 positions were necessary. People rearranged their lives to work at Blizzard.

So somewhere in the company are one or more executives responsible - ultimately - for those positions existing in the first place, and who can't find gainful work in the company for those positions now. Make sure to give those responsible executives the heave-ho too, won't you?

(No, you won't. But you should.)

I'm worried about checking facebook now, I have friends who work there. :(
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/29/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Solaru
I would suggest you do the same. When Vivendi set up Acti/Blizz, the 2 game developers would remain independent. Vivendi has owned Blizz since '98 and has been committed to it's independence since.

Except that little part where Robert Kotick is the CEO of Activision/Blizzard. He's in charge of BOTH Activision and Blizzard. Which is a higher position than Mike Morhaime as CEO of just Blizzard.

Robert Kotick might not have much to do with the day to day workings around the Blizzard office but he has a say in how the company runs. That's part of his job, to oversee the management of Activision/Blizzard. The laying off of employees has no bearing on how Blizzard wants to run itself (apart from picking who to toss on the chopping block) This is a corporate decision to maximze profits in advance of a preceived downturn in revenue, which I would place money on came from higher than Mike's desk.

Again educate yourself and stop being a fanboi needlessly praising something just to argue.
Edited by Rorayles on 2/29/2012 11:47 AM PST
85 Troll Druid
How about hiring some people to fix PVP?

Better yet, temporarily subsidize a branch of the company for WoW for the duration of the rest of it's useful life as a cash cow and then sell it off when you stop producing content for it.
No more stretching resources, you can validate lower pay rates, and you can increase customer satisfaction by increasing content quality with a dedicated work force.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]