Message from Mike Morhaime

(Locked)

90 Draenei Shaman
ok laying people off is different than firing them. when your fired it goes on your work record. being layed off does not. they are 2 totally different ways of losing a job. this I know cause I was layed off from my job that I had for 9 months. it was hard and I took any job that I could to keep myself afloat. I did not have the luxery of a severence pay. What I did have is a company that brought me back no questions asked when business had picked up again. Perhaps Blizzard will bring these people back when revenues pick up again. We will not know as many of us do not work for Blizzard and are not privy to that information. I wish all those that were layed off the best of luck during this time of transition.
100 Draenei Hunter
So many people here drinking the Kool-Aid.

Activision rearing its ugly head, I'm sorry to say. With GM ticket times way up, the consequences of their profit-squeezing decision are already showing. Even though they're making a giant profit, since there's been a decline, they still decide to fire people who are providing for their families and just trying to make it like the rest of us. I guess it doesn't matter how much money they bring in, if there's been so much as a 1% decline, there's a thirst for blood. I'm going to miss the GMs who were the victims of this...thank you for your service to the players and sometimes giving us funny chats to look back on.

This has really changed how I view Blizzard, and I'll have to consider if I still want to keep playing after my annual pass wears off, or if I'll even buy MoP at all.

I miss the Blizz that I grew up with.
Edited by Freiya on 3/4/2012 2:35 PM PST
90 Dwarf Warlock
Developers who did wotlk should be fired
88 Dwarf Hunter
A lot of companies find it necessary to become leaner and meaner at times. This is a good reminder that at the end of the day, we're really all "self employed" - even those of us who, like the unfortunate lay-offees at Blizz, have only one "client".
85 Blood Elf Priest
Developers who did cataclysm should be fired

Fixed*
70 Night Elf Warrior
Blizzard loses subs but also has to answer to share holders. So blizz then trims all extra fat and proceeds to sell store items such as mounts/pets so try to make up the revenue while gutting as many people as possible to increase profit margins. This results in less people satisfied and more subscriber losses? I wonder what or who will be cut/gutted next? Quality > quantity blizzard... the ball is in your court. Not enough resources to go around? Try cutting GC's pay to add some extra resource as he is a terrible design lead and has been driving this game into the ground for some time now.
Edited by Ehbruh on 3/4/2012 4:01 PM PST
85 Human Mage
I'd like to add my support for this thread here:

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/218412-what-i-will-do-please-accept-a-year/

We (the players) understand your desire (Blizzard) to contain this topic in a single thread, but the single existing thread doesn't cut it, isn't good enough, won't contain the hurt. We'd appreciate it if instead of restricting us to a single thread, you actually allowed us to communicate as we wish. Or we can just use MMO-C, or other sites to communicate amongst ouselves.

Remember: You can't stop the signal.
88 Night Elf Rogue
You are just guessing! Like I said at the beginning of my post...Ask people why they are leaving and address the problems identified! You can guess all day long and guess wrong. If you identify the reasons for leaving, you can fix them.
85 Human Death Knight
So many people here drinking the Kool-Aid.

Activision rearing its ugly head, I'm sorry to say. With GM ticket times way up, the consequences of their profit-squeezing decision are already showing. Even though they're making a giant profit, since there's been a decline, they still decide to fire people who are providing for their families and just trying to make it like the rest of us. I guess it doesn't matter how much money they bring in, if there's been so much as a 1% decline, there's a thirst for blood. I'm going to miss the GMs who were the victims of this...thank you for your service to the players and sometimes giving us funny chats to look back on.

Sorry but the ones "drinking the kool-aid" are the people that reply with stupid conspiracy theories about Activision and whatnot.

Can we PLEASE lock this thread before more crazies come out?
85 Goblin Priest
personally if this "trimming of the fat" improves blizzard products in general then I feel bad for those let off but its a win for the customers. As someone had said earlier on this could mean good things from blizzard in the end because perhaps there were too many chiefs and too little indians.
70 Goblin Shaman
I don't wish anyone be laid off, but honestly, this is what Blizzard gets for putting out such a crappy xpac.
86 Draenei Shaman
03/04/2012 04:50 PMPosted by Vandaro
It is a shame that the people that should be fired won't be.

And who decides what people should be fired and for what reason? You? I'm pretty sure Blizzard (despite what people may think) knows what's best for their organization and the direction they want to go. Your statement wreaks of the same attitude I had to put up with from customers in my old job for 6 years: I know your job better than you, and anything you do that I deem incorrect should get you fired.
Cataclysm was a disgrace from the PvP perspective. Balance was some of the worst in the game's history (despite amazingly arrogant claims from the devs), BGs that are in dire need of updates go untended (again, despite developer claims that we want polished BGs rather then more of them and we ended up getting neither) and the amazing level of crap PvP has turned in to thanks to PvE gear invading it is being completely ignored because "MoP will fix it!™".

Cataclysm may not have hit the nail on the head. But do you REALLY believe somebody deserves to be fired over it? Next time you have a job where thousands of people are yelling about wanting something different, and you make the wrong judgment call and piss off half of them, let's see where you end up...what's that? Oh, you don't work in the same kind of position as a lead developer for the biggest MMO ever? So I'm wondering what makes you an expert on this. I'm not going to argue that maybe PvP needs some changes. I've been saying that since BC, and judging by what I've seen from MoP, I'm not going to PvP then either. But I really don't see why someone should be punished for it. World of Warcraft is ground breaking in every way. There's never been a video game that has to cater to millions of players at once. You can't blame developers for taking the wrong path. Ground breakers often have to settle for failure. That's how you discover what DOESN'T work. It's the same in any industry, and the world's largest MMO to date is no different.

Think about it this way: If your favorite musical artist churns out a crappy CD, or a few terrible songs, would you just stop supporting them and say they should never produce music again? Lord knows some of my favorite musicians have their horrible songs that to this day I skip past when they come up on the playlist. So why do you claim that Blizzard should fire developers for making a bad expansion pack? Why does somebody always have to pay when something goes wrong? Why does it ALWAYS have to be somebody's fault?

As for proposed changes, here's your challenge: Fix PvP, completely, and please the millions of WoW players, WITHOUT a massive overhaul that requires a new expansion patch. I'll be here waiting.

I am glad Blizzard are hurting from this because heaven knows trying to talk to them like civil human beings has been ignored for the best part of two entire expansions. Sadly though, it won't be the people responsible taking the fall for it. At least not yet. My heart goes out to the support staff taking the bullet for GC and his buddies. You didn't deserve this
You should never be happy when a business is suffering. Blizzard employs 4000+ employees. Are you happy that they're now all sitting at work each day, wondering when the axe is going to swing down on them? If you really had a problem with Blizzard's direction, you need to stop supporting them by not paying your subscription. But by the sound of it, you've supported them for 2 expansions worth of, in your opinion, subpar content. Why?

Also WoW is at its current state because they listened to the fan base. Did you play in Vanilla / BC? When Raiders ruled the world, so to speak? Not a lot of people liked that. Thus, we are now in "casual" land, which the majority of people seem to like. Wrath's popularity speaks to that fact. See, with people like you, Blizzard can't win. They either listen to the populace and piss off the minority, or listen to the minority and piss off the majority. Lose, lose.

One last thing, there's been countless people stating that it's most likely customer service who is experiencing major layoffs. In any business, customer service is a major drain on finances. Why do you think so many places outsource it? Customer service requires decent pay (for people to deal with the crap) benefits (to remain competitive) and is a non-profit making department. Trust me, where I work (NOT customer service, thank God) is a non-profit generating department, and it's hard to get the higher ups to give us ANYTHING new, including raises, benefits, or even computers when we need them.

Sorry for the rant.

TL;DR, you don't know what you're talking about.
69 Orc Death Knight
Truth

Thanks, Alixii. :)
Edited by Danvers on 3/4/2012 6:05 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]