Message from Mike Morhaime

(Locked)

86 Draenei Shaman

In my lifetime I've worked up and down the scale from selling ice cream to servicing and supporting government departments. The common factor? If I treated my customers like Blizzard has the PvP community I'd be out on my !@# in days, if not hours. So yes. Some heads should roll.

This statement has no relevance. Blizzard isn't an ice cream shop or a government entity. It is an MMO that deals with the most fickle fan base in any business. You seem to equate Blizzard making mistakes in dealing with PvP to some guy yelling at a customer because he wanted something. It's nowhere near the same.

I don't even know where to begin with this. Have you ever worked any sort of paying job EVER? You don't get to wave your degree and experience in the face of a client and dictate the terms to them. Maybe if you are some sort of mercenary villain in a cartoon show but not in the real world.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything I said. I listed a simple fact: He's a lead developer; you are not. Obviously something in his past and his present makes him a viable option for his current position.

And now I want to address something that I see a lot. People seem to blame Ghostcrawler or whatever random developer for the issues with World of Warcraft, and seem to believe that Blizzard won't fire him for....some reason. It blows my mind that people can come out left field with the suggestion for ONE person in particular to get fired. If he was solely responsible for Cataclysm, don't you think Blizz would've taken steps to get rid of him?

Besides the fact that firing somebody isn't as simple as "We lost 1 million subs, you're fired."

Am I the only one that finds it so damn amusing at this fan-drone carrying on yet not knowing the devs that made Cataclysm are not the devs that made WoW or the first expansions? All the A-grade talent got shipped over to projects like Titan. We got the bench warmers and it painfully showed.

Not a fan drone. I'm just standing up for a side that most people don't: the big business. Besides the fact that I'm more than willing to be proven wrong regarded the A-grade talent. Show me links explaining that the entire WoW dev team from Vanilla was shipped over to different projects.

Nope. If made the slightest effort to comprehend my post instead of being a mindless fan-boy then you would of noticed my contempt is for the developers, not the support staff taking the heat for the mistakes of others.

See now you're just insulting for no reason. That's no way to debate. You just look silly.

Also, Blizzard employs 4000+ people. Don't you think some of those people are developers? Don't you think they are worried now?

I enjoyed PvP pre-Cata and stuck it out for personal/social reasons. Not that it is any of your business.

I could care less why you supported them. I was just pointing out that you DID. People like you are equivalent to somebody drinking Sprite and talking about how much they hate it. You just look ridiculous.

Whatever you got to tell yourself buddy. Unfortunately for you and Blizzard, delusion doesn't compensate for over a million subscribers walking out. Myself included in a few months.

A few months? So you intend on supporting this game for a few more months, !@#$%ing and complaining the whole way?

Have fun with that.
100 Night Elf Druid
My heart goes out to those that were laid off. I'm sorry you were let go--it's rough, I was personally recently laid off myself from a job I worked at for years.

I hope you find a great job down the road!
67 Human Mage
Nope. If made the slightest effort to comprehend my post instead of being a mindless fan-boy then you would of noticed my contempt is for the developers, not the support staff taking the heat for the mistakes of others.
------------------
See now you're just insulting for no reason. That's no way to debate. You just look silly.Also, Blizzard employs 4000+ people. Don't you think some of those people are developers? Don't you think they are worried now?
-----------------
Response:
Actually, according to WSJ it is approx 7,300 employees at Blizzard.
Edited by Anonymia on 3/4/2012 7:25 PM PST
90 Troll Priest
Heres an idea to save everyone's job.

Sell another mount- Make it instant cast... sell it for 30.00 or make it a spell-skill that will make any other mount instant cast.

Based on celestial steed numbers and heart of the aspects mounts sold.. and the amount of people that would KILL for flight-form style mounts after playing a druid...... lets break the numbers down.

30.00 per mount
x 1 million accounts that will buy it.
= $30,000,000 in revenue.

I know I would and I'm the kind of person that refuses to buy mounts or pets.

Divide that by 600 and you have $50,000.00

That's enough to keep ALL support members on the payroll for one year. That will hold you over until Diablo 3/Mists and train them for Titan when you WILL need more people.

I don't know what support people make for salaries, but $50k is pretty damn good for a support position.

85 Tauren Paladin
Not surprised at all. There's nothing that kills a service business faster than a bloated workforce (besides no profit of course).
85 Blood Elf Priest
Wow! Sell a mount to save everyone's job what a great idea! It's so obvious, why didn't Blizzard think of that!?

LOL
90 Troll Priest
Wow! Sell a mount to save everyone's job what a great idea! It's so obvious, why didn't Blizzard think of that!?

LOL

I know right?

Dev Manager: Hey developer Bob, the CEO at Activision wants to buy his kids some jetpacks, we need another 4 million dollars in the next 8 hours.. How long will it take you to make a new mount to sell?

Bob: hmmm.. lets see we can take this horse and add some wings to it.. and skin the spectral tiger to it, should take me an hour or so.

Dev manager: Great! Lets throw it up on the blizzard store those suckers will gobble it up, and the CEO can throw his jetpack party!
17 Dwarf Paladin
Cant wait to see how many more people they layoff due to the million subs they will lose between now and Pandaland. Enjoy your bonuses Mike and Bobby.
Edited by Marzen on 3/4/2012 9:46 PM PST
100 Orc Death Knight
Not like we didn't see this coming, I waited anxiously to see how many subscriptions they would lose as a result of increasing the difficulty with Cataclysm, 800k, but it did not stop there. Blizzard paid the price of catering to the elitists (as a result making people stingy for gear, gearing up in heroics while using LFG anyone?). To top it off they started throwing content out every few months pretty much making anything you earned obsolete overnight and the entire re-use of content did not inspire a lot of confidence either.

Blizzard releases so much content now they have the PTR up almost 24/7 (not resetting it which only causes people to play there and cancel their subscriptions further). The sad part is this content is either re-hashed dungeons (BWL, MC, ZG and ZA) or lacking in any sort of lore. The reality is Blizzard has used up almost of all the lore from the original WC, they can only re-hash or change other features now.

This is no one's fault but Ghostcrawlers and the other developers who took this direction, but sadly they will never pay for this, the April fool's joke of Pandas of years past has come to reality, which is a good indicator of the sad state of affairs that WoW is headed too with these new developers. The new expansion doesn't even have an end boss yet.
Edited by Feisar on 3/4/2012 11:42 PM PST
90 Draenei Death Knight
Blizzard just got nerfed

Nerfbat
All skills reduced "To the ground!"
1 minute remaining
Edited by Ålphaòmega on 3/4/2012 11:51 PM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't want to get into the details of Activision or Vivendi, or any other details like that.

But has anyone heard even a rumor as to why the development team was part of this? Surely with people eager to experience more, and feeling let down by rehashed and lack luster content lately the development team would be an area that could have benefited from more growth.

I know times are tough, but surely removing even a small percent of those making the product is short sighted. I just don't understand what they're expecting from the future with this move, and any speculation I could make is negative to say the least.

LOL

they did, but letting employees go, means more profit from those mounts retained for the vivendi corporation (parent company)
100 Draenei Warrior
Well, it's nice to know that you're confident enough to confirm that you're actually doing things, Blizzard.

I understand you've got a lot on your plate, and I certainly know that feel, I just hope you guys don't feel tempted to rush any content.

All the same, you've got my trust.
90 Human Mage
CFT
03/05/2012 12:10 AMPosted by Sylant
But has anyone heard even a rumor as to why the development team was part of this? Surely with people eager to experience more, and feeling let down by rehashed and lack luster content lately the development team would be an area that could have benefited from more growth.

Which is what 99% of us are wondering... Why the heck they DIDN'T get cut...?
Edited by Pewpewblast on 3/5/2012 2:19 AM PST
90 Human Mage
CFT
03/04/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Deytukrjerbz
personally if this "trimming of the fat" improves blizzard products in general then I feel bad for those let off but its a win for the customers. As someone had said earlier on this could mean good things from blizzard in the end because perhaps there were too many chiefs and too little indians.

There are too many chiefs and too little indians* currently, and all they did was fire more indians, if you didn't notice that.

* this is in no way trying to be offensive or racist. All I did was use the same terminology.

03/04/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Alixii
You can't blame developers for taking the wrong path.

Certainly we can't, but we CAN blame the developers for taking the wrong path for 14+ months...
Edited by Pewpewblast on 3/5/2012 2:26 AM PST
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Periodically a company has to trim and re-distribute. It happens. You think you need 500 people, and then you only need 400. Or jobs get automated. (Like character transfers)
I'm kinda surprised they even bothered to make an announcement.

If they don't eliminate unneeded jobs, then they won't have the budget to hire for other things they actually DO need.
90 Human Mage
CFT
Periodically a company has to trim and re-distribute. It happens. You think you need 500 people, and then you only need 400. Or jobs get automated. (Like character transfers)
I'm kinda surprised they even bothered to make an announcement.

If they don't eliminate unneeded jobs, then they won't have the budget to hire for other things they actually DO need.

Yes, but at the very least they could make us excited to know that the devs who have been making wrong paths for 14+ months have been trimmed a bit so we get some better content.

I also want to personally find the men/women responsible for ToC, FL, and DS and just yell at them for a constant 5 minutes. (No, I do not act upon violence, just shouting expletives)
Edited by Pewpewblast on 3/5/2012 2:57 AM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/29/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Bluefin
Just sell a couple more mounts and a pet and let these people keep their jobs.

It's exactly because they are able to do this that they are cutting jobs. The more profit you can make the less desirable it is to keep people around sucking up all that money that wants to travel up to the execs. Just remember that the next time you have some politician lobbying to keep that corporate tax rate down.

Tax corporations like this one at 35% or more!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]