Message from Mike Morhaime

(Locked)

MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
I don't want to get into the details of Activision or Vivendi, or any other details like that.

But has anyone heard even a rumor as to why the development team was part of this? Surely with people eager to experience more, and feeling let down by rehashed and lack luster content lately the development team would be an area that could have benefited from more growth.

I know times are tough, but surely removing even a small percent of those making the product is short sighted. I just don't understand what they're expecting from the future with this move, and any speculation I could make is negative to say the least.

As far as we know, the main development teams for the games didn't really get hit much with the layoffs. Mike specifically said: "and that our development teams in particular remain largely unaffected by today's announcement." You can't really just fire all the people who create the games or you stop having income altogether. :)

So, I wouldn't worry too much about the actual game development right now, as the layoffs (in theory) shouldn't impact their release cycle all that much. It just may impact how long the queue times are for your tickets to be answered once everyone comes back at MOP release.
Edited by Lissanna on 3/5/2012 5:39 AM PST
100 Undead Death Knight
I've read many public announcements that follow the same formula as this one. Although I hope my instincts are wrong, something tells me that we may have just slipped further down the spiral.

What I want to know is: now that Blizzard has acknowledged WoW's decline in profitability, when will they unveil their WoW killer? Two years? After another 1.8 million leave?

It's easy to dismiss this note from Blizzard as business as usual. But a message dripping in PR doublespeak usually indicates concern at the top level.

Buy a mount for your friends and family today!
90 Gnome Death Knight
03/05/2012 06:12 AMPosted by Tkmt
Learn 2 druid: www.restokin.com
No offense but you should not link pages that lead outside this forum. I would like to assume this is a safe link as you are a green but this may give some posters the wrong impression and they may think clicking on links that lead outside these forums are safe.

Also are you getting paid buy this website to promote wow forums traffic to go there?
I would like a signature panel so that I may make some money aswell off linking outside domains or is your signature panel for sale or rent?

That is her/his website and being an MVP is all about being helpful and giving links to useful information.
85 Orc Rogue
This announcement should have never been opened up to comments.

This thread is pretty disgusting and callous.

i completely agree with you there
100 Night Elf Druid
03/05/2012 06:12 AMPosted by Tkmt
Learn 2 druid: www.restokin.com
No offense but you should not link pages that lead outside this forum. I would like to assume this is a safe link as you are a green but this may give some posters the wrong impression and they may think clicking on links that lead outside these forums are safe.

Also are you getting paid buy this website to promote wow forums traffic to go there?
I would like a signature panel so that I may make some money aswell off linking outside domains or is your signature panel for sale or rent?

There's a reason Lissanna is an MVP. She has been one of the leading authorities on Restoration and Balance Druids for a very long time. The link goes to her blog.

And what on Earth does this have to do with the OP? And why are we on page 72 of something that should not be any more complicated than "we feel bad for the folks who lost their jobs and we hope they land safely, quickly"? The only reason why I get why Blizzard hasn't locked this down is because someone is simply going to open a new thread because we can still identify parts of the horse. We haven't quite gotten that Mussolini-esque obliteration.

PS: It's "by," not "buy." I think you should spend more time paying attention in English class than worrying about signature panels.

90 Human Paladin
02/29/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Bluefin
Just sell a couple more mounts and a pet and let these people keep their jobs.
90 Human Paladin
03/05/2012 08:25 AMPosted by Tkmt
Holy crap are you ever defensive...well I guess a report for harassment will give you some time to think about what you post. Verbally attacking a poster is against the forum policy BUY the way.

You know that is against the code of conduct to threaten people that you'll report them as well right?
This is a discussion forum, please don't get mad because you lost an argument.
Edited by Paccman on 3/5/2012 8:35 AM PST
- World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Druid
The thread has now become acrimonious. Time to lock it to further comments, please, before it breaks down entirely and becomes a blemish on the site and on Mr. Morhaime's post. The 'news' media read these, too; and the last thing Blizzard needs is to be playing catch-up PR on ill-considered member posts.
8 Draenei Mage
03/05/2012 08:43 AMPosted by Éiayaié
The thread has now become acrimonious. Time to lock it to further comments, please, before it breaks down entirely and becomes a blemish on the site and on Mr. Morhaime's post. The 'news' media read these, too; and the last thing Blizzard needs is to be playing catch-up PR on ill-considered member posts.

Plant that flag in the ground sister and defend to the end! Im sure Mr. M will appreciates loyalty such as yours.
90 Human Hunter
DOWN WITH COMMUNISM
90 Night Elf Druid
why would you guys go and take time to make a post about how your firing alot of your current staff while there are millions of unanswered questions on the forums that you could be trying to answer instead? not to sound rude or anything but this is by far one of the worst things you could go off and tell your player base is were getting rid of employees whenever not too long ago things were said about how we cant develope things due to the lack of resources etc...
Edited by Greénlee on 3/5/2012 12:02 PM PST
67 Human Mage

There's a reason Lissanna is an MVP. She has been one of the leading authorities on Restoration and Balance Druids for a very long time. The link goes to her blog.

And what on Earth does this have to do with the OP? And why are we on page 72 of something that should not be any more complicated than "we feel bad for the folks who lost their jobs and we hope they land safely, quickly"? The only reason why I get why Blizzard hasn't locked this down is because someone is simply going to open a new thread because we can still identify parts of the horse. We haven't quite gotten that Mussolini-esque obliteration.

PS: It's "by," not "buy." I think you should spend more time paying attention in English class than worrying about signature panels.
Holy crap are you ever defensive...well I guess a report for harassment will give you some time to think about what you post. Verbally attacking a poster is against the forum policy BUY the way.

Nah, you are WAY too sensitive if you call that harrassment. If that were the case, someone could call the same on your response to the MVP.

Chill, nobody died.
85 Goblin Shaman
03/05/2012 12:01 PMPosted by Greénlee
this is by far one of the worst things you could go off and tell your player base is were

They are legally obligated to inform their shareholders of any layoffs, If i am not mistaken. Better for us to hear it from them than read it on a competitors website.

I am sorry to hear so many good people lost their jobs. I have faith in blizzard to provide us with a quality game for years to come. I know so many people complain about recycled content, but that's the way this kind of game functions. You get a lot of new features, layered over a previously used design model. They would have to invest a lot of time and money, as much as went into Vanilla and every subsequent content patch up until now, to give you a "fresh" design. They are running a business here, not a charity. It's about providing a product and turning a profit. They are doing very well at both.

Thanks, and best wishes.
90 Worgen Warlock
this is by far one of the worst things you could go off and tell your player base is were

They are legally obligated to inform their shareholders of any layoffs, If i am not mistaken. Better for us to hear it from them than read it on a competitors website.

I am sorry to hear so many good people lost their jobs. I have faith in blizzard to provide us with a quality game for years to come. I know so many people complain about recycled content, but that's the way this kind of game functions. You get a lot of new features, layered over a previously used design model. They would have to invest a lot of time and money, as much as went into Vanilla and every subsequent content patch up until now, to give you a "fresh" design. They are running a business here, not a charity. It's about providing a product and turning a profit. They are doing very well at both.

Thanks, and best wishes.

Finally an article i can agree on that isnt making jokes and bashing blizzard. Come on guys, Blizzard has strived to put out great content and games to us for over 25 years and most of you act like !@# holes and jerks. Would you rather them turn into EA or completely like Activision or the other companies out there? wanna talk about rehashed content look at 95% of the other crap out there. yearly sequals of the exact same crap over and over again or 70% completed games with expensive DLC to make up for the rest or MMOs that copy wow verbatim, i know wow took ideas from MMOs in its time but they put a lot of features and content that they developed from scratch at no extra cost when they could of easily charged us for so many cool things they have added to the game over time hell look at Battle Net! if that service was on a console they would be charging 50$ a year or something stupid but yet that awesome online service is Free to us... Seriously it just sickens me what the gaming community has become, let alone the Blizzard community. People should really try and support a company like blizzard, not many companies out there left that put Quality and support of there community first.. If blizzard truely didnt care they would of put out diablo years ago and moved onto the next, same with SC and WoW. 600 lost jobs does suck but it could of been worse, a lot worse, and best of luck to those who lost there jobs.. But put it this way what about all the other games you guys play that lay off hundreds even thousands, hell even shutdown the studio even though they sell millions of copies but yet you guys still buy that companies crappy games.. So much hate for Blizzard its stupid.
Edited by Sheara on 3/5/2012 12:52 PM PST
90 Pandaren Mage
I'm actually pretty happy about this as a customer. (Sympathy for people who lose jobs aside.) Until now Blizzard has cared more about WoW's "expansion" and "potential" than its current, paying customers. Some of the worst things in WoW happened as a result of failed attempts to expand into new markets, like "esports" or "social networking" -- things customers didn't ask for and almost universally didn't want. With WoW's expansion stopped and the unrealistic optimism left behind, I think we'll see more of Blizzard serving its paying customers and doing what makes us happy, and less of Blizzard exploiting us as collateral in its business dealings.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]