Message from Mike Morhaime

(Locked)

i have had days where the reply time was 1 hour - and days where it has been multiple days...all of this happened before the 600 person layoff...don't assume things

trimming the fat on a great piece of meat is sometimes necessary to preserve the overall quality...!@#$ happens and it sucks...get over it
86 Troll Druid
Actually 25 an hour each person would be 40 million
85 Night Elf Mage
Perhaps the largest troll blog ever???
85 Goblin Priest
TIP: A Blizzard employee will NEVER ask for your password....well they can't, because they don't have a job anymore :(
87 Worgen Priest
I care more about how fairly Blizzard treat their staff than I do about their games - the issues are not separable. Good games are made by talented and well treated people.

This letter with it's pandering note makes me ill. "We're firing people who've been with us for a long time but don't you gamers worry, everything will be fine!"

The employees you're laying off are people and I doubt you really need to retrench. Didn't Blizzard used to have some balls?
66 Human Mage
I care more about how fairly Blizzard treat their staff than I do about their games...

Suuure, you do. Just like you care how well the construction workers are treated who built your house, just like you care how well the employees of the car company are treated when you drive their car. Just like how when you open your refrigerator door you think "gosh I sure hope those good people at Kenmore are getting by alright".

It's nice to pretend to care, but let's not get all righteous and indignant all of a sudden because a company deemed it necessary to let people go. Don't you care about the people who are still there? If the lesser of two bad situations was letting 600 people go now so that another 600 could retain their positions with the company, doesn't that merit any consideration?

Or are we just going to act disgusted when we literally have no other information.

Business as usual on the forums.

I'm truly sorry about anyone who loses their job, especially in this economy. Godspeed to all involved in finding new paths for themselves and their families.

That said, I find it extremely hard to believe a lot of what I read in this thread.
87 Worgen Hunter
Hey Mike, how many more $25 mounts do you have to sell to prevent more layoffs?
85 Undead Rogue
I care more about how fairly Blizzard treat their staff than I do about their games - the issues are not separable. Good games are made by talented and well treated people.

This letter with it's pandering note makes me ill. "We're firing people who've been with us for a long time but don't you gamers worry, everything will be fine!"

The employees you're laying off are people and I doubt you really need to retrench. Didn't Blizzard used to have some balls?

When you grow up, you'll learn that being treated fairly does not include the right to sit at a desk, doing nothing, and still having money thrown at you for it.

You'll also learn that companies hire and terminate people all of the time. The average person these days can expect something like 25 different positions in 15 different companies in their lifetime. This is how the world works. It's not mean or nasty or unfair.

The employees that were let go were even given a severance package, which is more than they were entitled to; they were already treated with all due fairness and then some. Does it suck? Yes. Does that mean it shouldn't have happened? No. Again, once you grow up and join the workforce, hopefully you'll understand this.
90 Blood Elf Mage
03/04/2012 02:57 PMPosted by Dominicci
Developers who did wotlk should be fired

Because from a questing and story standpoint, Cata was better, amirite?
1 Human Mage
why not start with ghostcrawler? most likely the most over paid worker at blizz and the least capable of leadership of your company
85 Blood Elf Warlock
03/06/2012 06:54 AMPosted by Scottie
Hey Mike, how many more $25 mounts do you have to sell to prevent more layoffs?

Blizzard isn't a charity.

If there's a position that there's not enough work to justify, then it makes no sense to keep it. You act like the employees are absolutely incapable of finding something else or something.

Yes, it's sad when someone loses a job but do you want them to keep putting resources into filling a role that isn't needed?
Edited by Malistra on 3/6/2012 9:34 AM PST
100 Orc Warlock
In response to the lay-offs: I don't know.. I mean, I can understand needing to trim down support teams and customer service when you've lost nearly 2 millions subscriptions. I may understand touching the development side when the workload has lessened due to streamlined processes and even technological advancements. If that is the case, and it has been visibly seen as expansions and content come out, then I'm pretty happy about that. It means that other MMOs, as seen with Star Wars and others, will be able to make its way out easier and become more popular or familiar along with WoW.

What I'm feeling pretty upset about is the loss of Nyorlith. I mean, we get to meet the guy at Blizzcon (Tommy, the Historian) during a Lore Q&A. He gets a promotion to Community Manager for the Story Forums, which is awesome news for them to have someone help read, as well as having the first CM to actually post there. Something he worked for, for approximately 3 years. And then, with the downsizing, he gets laid off as well.

...What?

Okay, I can understand MAYBE some redundancies with his position. However, I would think that his value as an open source to the community on that forum (being one of the few, or the only one we can recall at least, that made posts there as a Blizzard rep) would be held as valuable to the company, justifiable enough to keep him. Yes, he even admits he's made posts there with his consumer account before he ever got that position. Giving him the ability to be visible for Blizzard's voice would allow him the opportunity to be recognized in the community as well, more so than MVP status.

Now, he's gone, and I can't see the full justification for that. I also cannot understand it, because it affects and upsets many of your customers since they would see the value as well. I will admit, I don't post there, but I loved the idea of the forum's existence ever since it came to be. You have Tommy to thank for that valuable asset to the community. He is one too, and got the chance to be one for the company... only for that to be dismissed with his lay-off.

It's pretty upsetting, Blizzard. I sincerely hope you understand that. I really do.
Edited by Gaskar on 3/6/2012 10:43 AM PST
90 Night Elf Druid
03/06/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Gaskar
Now, he's gone, and I can't see the full justification for that. I also cannot understand it, because it affects and upsets many of your customers since they would see the value as well. I will admit, I don't post there, but I loved the idea of the forum's existence ever since it came to be. You have Tommy to thank for that valuable asset to the community. He is one too, and got the chance to be one for the company... only for that to be dismissed with his lay-off.

That's because you don't see half of what a blue does behind the scenes. When you don't have enough work to justify having a person there it is time to let them go.

03/06/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Gaskar
It's pretty upsetting, Blizzard. I sincerely hope you understand that. I really do.

No they fired people with a grin on their face, if you actually read the first post they are sorry they had to do it but it had to be done.

When you grow up, you'll learn that being treated fairly does not include the right to sit at a desk, doing nothing, and still having money thrown at you for it.

You'll also learn that companies hire and terminate people all of the time. The average person these days can expect something like 25 different positions in 15 different companies in their lifetime. This is how the world works. It's not mean or nasty or unfair.

The employees that were let go were even given a severance package, which is more than they were entitled to; they were already treated with all due fairness and then some. Does it suck? Yes. Does that mean it shouldn't have happened? No. Again, once you grow up and join the workforce, hopefully you'll understand this.

+100 this post says it all for those people who are like oooo blizzard is evil etc. etc.
100 Draenei Shaman
I'll miss Nyorloth.

I actually even started visiting the Story forums more because of him.
Edited by Khaerys on 3/6/2012 11:47 AM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]