Message from Mike Morhaime

(Locked)

85 Worgen Warrior
they took our jerbz!!
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
AWWWW YEEAAAHHHH unnanounced projects! I knew MoP was an April fools joke! ;D
67 Human Mage
02/29/2012 11:41 AMPosted by Rorayles
I would suggest you do the same. When Vivendi set up Acti/Blizz, the 2 game developers would remain independent. Vivendi has owned Blizz since '98 and has been committed to it's independence since.

Except that little part where Robert Kotick is the CEO of Activision/Blizzard. He's in charge of BOTH Activision and Blizzard. Which is a higher position than Mike Morhaime as CEO of just Blizzard.

Robert Kotick might not have much to do with the day to day workings around the Blizzard office but he has a say in how the company runs. That's part of his job, to oversee the management of Activision/Blizzard.

Again educate yourself and stop being a fanboi needlessly praising something just to argue.

I assume that you have the details of how the contracts are set up, since you seem to KNOW precisely how the relationship is laid out and functioning. Contract details make all the difference in how a business relationship plays out in the real world.....CEO, or not.

So, please "educate" us poor slobs who don't know how business works.....ok?
96 Draenei Mage
Except that little part where Robert Kotick is the CEO of Activision/Blizzard. He's in charge of BOTH Activision and Blizzard.

No he is not. He is head of Activision/Blizzard. Blizzard is an independent division of Activision/Blizzard. Sorry you do not know this.

Again educate yourself and stop being a fanboi needlessly praising something just to argue.
You are actually the fanboi. "Big bad Bobby ruined Blizz" is all I hear from you people when ever Blizz does something you don't like/ Stop looking for someone else to blame.
90 Pandaren Shaman
About time
90 Night Elf Hunter
I assume that you have the details of how the contracts are set up, since you seem to KNOW precisely how the relationship is laid out and functioning. Contract details make all the difference in how a business relationship plays out in the real world.....CEO, or not.

Seriously? You don't know where the CEO sits in a company? Can you not read and comprehend a simple command structure diagram?

Hint: The guy who's name is listed at the top is in charge. Everyone under him takes orders from him.

Basic common sense fail on your part.
100 Human Mage
To those arguing about who's in charge, i'm not sure this is the thread for that type of thing. People are losing their jobs and lively hood, which is far more important to focus on, rather than who you want to blame for any real or imagined mistakes/issues.
90 Human Paladin
This is a corporate decision to maximze profits in advance of a preceived downturn in revenue, which I would place money on came from higher than Mike's desk.
96 Draenei Mage
Seriously? You don't know where the CEO sits in a company? Can you not read and comprehend a simple command structure diagram?

Hint: The guy who's name is listed at the top is in charge. Everyone under him takes orders from him.

So...the guy at the top is in charge. So if Jean-Bernard Lévy tells someone that Blizzard operates as an independent division...that is how it is...right?
90 Night Elf Hunter
02/29/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Solaru
Except that little part where Robert Kotick is the CEO of Activision/Blizzard. He's in charge of BOTH Activision and Blizzard.

No he is not. He is head of Activision/Blizzard. Blizzard is an independent division of Activision/Blizzard. Sorry you do not know this.

You are actually the fanboi. "Big bad Bobby ruined Blizz" is all I hear from you people when ever Blizz does something you don't like/ Stop looking for someone else to blame.

I'm done here. You are either trolling or just ignorant on how the business world operates. I suggest you read up on how corporations run and on what a command structure is because you obviously don't grasp the conecpt.

I have neither the time nor the desire to unbury your head from the sand.

02/29/2012 12:00 PMPosted by Solaru
So...the guy at the top is in charge. So if Jean-Bernard Lévy tells someone that Blizzard operates as an independent division...that is how it is...right?

Didn't you just say that Mike doesn't have to take orders from someone higher up on the food chain because Blizzard is indepenent? Oh that only applies if it supports your claim. Right got it now.
Edited by Rorayles on 2/29/2012 12:04 PM PST
02/29/2012 11:30 AMPosted by Fairadey
"The company anticipates approximately 90% of the affected employees will come from departments not related to game development. The World of Warcraft® development team will not be impacted."

That's not really good news at all. Which departments? At the moment the only thing that differentiates WoW and Blizzard from other companies out there is it's current level of Customer Support. Sure you'll get the odd naysayer floating around, jumping up and down because a GM told them 'no" and they're not mentally equipped to deal with that, but have a look at the CS forums of other MMOs (serious, do it) and all of a sudden WoW looks miles better by comparison.

Seriously, there are only a few departments that ever get cut when a company like this announces such a thing - admin (because; why waste money on admin when we can introduce self-admin) and CS (because; the staff are efficient so lets just keep the most efficient of them, make them work harder for less money and can the rest).

Who doesn't lose out - Upper Management (most of whom are a lot less necessary than they think), HR and PR/Marketing.

Good luck to those leaving - go hit up Mojang and see if they need some good people :)
87 Human Priest
Businesses lay off people. This is not a new thing. At a time when sub numbers are down and the global economy still sucks, why is this really a surprise and why does it imply some evil conspiracy? My sympathies go out to those who lost their jobs.

Some of you are really sheltered people. On a positive note, people who've worked at Blizzard are likely to find new jobs soon, especially if they're in high-demand fields like development or programming.

Most of the unemployment problem in the US is people who have been out of work for a few years and look more and more unattractive to employers for no fault of their own, as well as people without educational qualifications at a time when that's an increasing disadvantage. Try not to jump to snarky conclusions.
Edited by Ishàni on 2/29/2012 12:06 PM PST
85 Undead Warlock
02/29/2012 12:02 PMPosted by Dpoz
Six hundred people just lost their jobs, and all you sad little basement-dwelling children can be bothered to talk about is how bad the game is, how bad it's going to be, how Bobby Kotick is the ruiner of Blizzard, or any other ridiculously asinine comments found through the thread.

Sorry kid, its basic human nature to bash a company that has revenues in the billions that just fired 600 people.
100 Dwarf Death Knight
So it's come to this. Diminished product quality in lieu of raising the price tag since they've hit a cap and have started receding on subscription growth. I can't wait for more rehashed content, dropped raids, longer ticket support times with no issue resolution since each GM will undoubtedly be backlogged and only able to dedicate even fewer minutes to completing a ticket. Why isn't the $15/month price tag being slashed as severely as the back-end of this game? We're paying the same for less.
96 Draenei Mage
'm done here. You are either trolling or just ignorant on how the business world operates. I suggest you read up on how corporations run and on what a command structure is because you obviously don't grasp the conecpt.

I have neither the time nor the desire to unbury your head from the sand.

I accept your surrender ;) (because calling someone a troll just because you disagree with them is a desperate act)

The problem is not every business operates with the same structure...that is what you are not understanding. Vivendi SA had the final say on the organizational structure of Acti/Blizz after they acquired Activision and merged it with their games division.
88 Human Rogue
02/29/2012 12:06 PMPosted by Glyff
So it's come to this. Diminished product quality in lieu of raising the price tag since they've hit a cap and have started receding on subscription growth. I can't wait for more rehashed content, dropped raids, longer ticket support times with no issue resolution since each GM will undoubtedly be backlogged and only able to dedicate even fewer minutes to completing a ticket. Why isn't the $15/month price tag being slashed as severely as the back-end of this game? We're paying the same for less.

QFT.
67 Human Mage

Translation: I have no idea how contracts actually work, so I will assume the CEO is a business God.
92 Tauren Warrior
First of all, best of luck to the 600 former employees. It's still a pretty rough time to be unemployed (especially in a state like California).

Secondly:

"The company anticipates approximately 90% of the affected employees will come from departments not related to game development. The World of Warcraft® development team will not be impacted."

So, ~10% came from game development. That's around 60 development jobs.

The statement is fairly misleading, since that's a pretty large number for a development team; I'm willing to bet the bulk of the other 540ish jobs came from the GM and quality control/bug testing departments, and the GM department alone for WoW is (was?) probably huge to deal with all the servers and players. It's obfuscating the large number of dev jobs let go of by pointing out the much larger portions of the company that had employment termination. "No, no, ignore the elephant in the room, here's a much bigger elephant!"

Beyond that, losing so many positions is -bound- to affect gameplay. Again, I highly suspect that GMs are one of the main casualties here. Ticket times will almost certainly go up, and quality issues such as bug control/patching, customer service, and so on will also likely suffer.

This would be forgivable if Blizzard was struggling financially...but it's not. Other posters have shown the math, this is almost certainly an attempt to appease shareholders eager for more pennies.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]