War College - Isle of Conquest

90 Night Elf Priest
Player Vs Wall

I learned this very early.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Honestly, it seems the Gunship Cannons just don't compare to the Glaive Throwers in terms of bringing down a gate. There's been games where we have people beating the gate via Huge Seaforium Bombs, Gunship Cannons, and even Demolishers and still lose to the other team only going with Docks.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
04/01/2013 08:32 AMPosted by Naérdriel
Player Vs Wall

I learned this very early.

This morning redefined "Player Vs. Wall". In multiple games, we easily had 8-10 players running back-and-forth against the inside wall of our own keep. Just this giant mass of players all pooled up against the same single spot of wall. Botters are seriously out of hand in this Battleground.
Reply Quote
2 Troll Rogue
Isle of Conquest and Alterac valley both need reworking.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Death Knight
04/01/2013 08:27 AMPosted by Dochartagh
The horde usually wins the battles that allows them to turtle. The horde loves to turtle it's just how they think. The alliance has way more players that think with a PVE mindset so they tend to win those type battles.

WTH....where did you get this from?

So you're telling me that Horde are bad a raids?
ROFLS, no.
Many of the world FIRSTS were completed by Horde.

Sit down.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
WTH....where did you get this from?

So you're telling me that Horde are bad a raids?
ROFLS, no.
Many of the world FIRSTS were completed by Horde.

Sit down.

The horde is good at the raids that let them Turtle as well

The horde will turtle first ask questions later ... Even if they come to play around in Goldshire first it starts with a simple huntard getting killed by the alliance then his whole guild shows up cause he was crying the alliance killed him.

They should rename the Horde ... The Turtles!

For the Turtles ... LOL
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Get in vent with 4 friends (hopefully you have healer friends).

Formulate a plan in advance (doesn't really matter what it is). When you arrive, quickly recruit a few pugs to help you by all being in agreement in chat. Don't 'suggest' a course of action. Tell the pugs what you 5 are doing and ask for x-number to join you. The leader types "we need to kill glaives who is with us". Your friends say "ME!", "I'll go!, "on glaives too", "me!!!". The leader then asks "who else is coming?"

As soon as you identify players who might be AFK, do a count-down and mass report them. They will vanish immediately if you do (hopefully you'll not get another afk or bot to replace him).

As the game progresses, your leader in vent moves you around the map. Do what the leader says even if you think you have a better idea. You can be leader next time if you want. Type out instructions to the pugs as well. Some might listen. Just five working together can make a huge difference in IoC (or AV). Of course more is better ;-)
Edited by Calliesta on 4/2/2013 11:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Why the hell would someone listen to text?

Of course you will also see wiseguys who don't care and just want to disrupt. Ignore them :P

Listen: To pay attention; heed: "She encouraged me to listen carefully to what country people called mother wit" (Maya Angelou).
Edited by Calliesta on 4/2/2013 4:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I have a strategy that always trumps Horde on the Battlefield. Listen up Allies, cause I'm trying to spread the knowledge here so you can win every time you're in IoC.

Here's how the layout usually goes

Horde - Zerg Workshop
Alliance - go Docks

Hanger is kind of the unwanted child of bases, so we'll get to that later.

I always send a suicide team of about 10 to hold the Horde off at the Workshop. I started using this strategy because I had lost the last 3 times I was in the Battleground and, as Einstein said, "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"

So, I figured send a team to just hang them up for a bit at the Workshop. Not much, just enough to let us cap Docks first. And boy does it work. I was actually surprised when I led the charge, expecting to be alone, and saw a small portion of my team following me into oblivion. Gave me that warm fuzzy feeling, heh.

The first time I tried it the Horde were taken completely off guard. It took them about a minute for them to repel us, and we did exactly what I thought it would, lose at
Workshop.

However, we bought crucial time to mount our attack on the Horde Keep, and we won handily. The Horde had barely gotten our wall down.

So send a suicide team of 10 to Workshop while the main force goes docks, have the ressers hit Hanger because its the least defended. If you're good enough, you'll take it. It's not even so much for the extra damage, but just keeping that damage out of Horde hands helps us win.

I actually see other people using my strategy nowadays, and I just smile when it leads us to Victory every time. I may not even have been the first person to think it up, but I feel like I helped Allies everywhere succeed.

I haven't lost the Battleground in months.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Winning strategy: Don't cap any node.

You start from your fortress, move to workshop, kill everyone and make sure your team doesn't cap the node and the rest of the future nodes you'll fight at.

After workshop, hit hangar and again don't cap the node.

Go back to base and wait inside the fortress, while having the opposing team cap the nodes and bring down the gates.

Let the opposing team cap the fortress graveyard and now have your team step out and annihilate them. Proceed to farm your kills from there and win the game by resource advantage.

NOTE: This is probably the easiest way to get Veteran of Isle of Conquest from my experience. If you're after the achievements and want tips on how to earn them, just ask.
Edited by Mauklindaufe on 4/1/2013 9:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I have a strategy that always trumps Horde on the Battlefield. Listen up Allies, cause I'm trying to spread the knowledge here so you can win every time you're in IoC.

Here's how the layout usually goes

Horde - Zerg Workshop
Alliance - go Docks

Hanger is kind of the unwanted child of bases, so we'll get to that later.

I always send a suicide team of about 10 to hold the Horde off at the Workshop. I started using this strategy because I had lost the last 3 times I was in the Battleground and, as Einstein said, "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"

So, I figured send a team to just hang them up for a bit at the Workshop. Not much, just enough to let us cap Docks first. And boy does it work. I was actually surprised when I led the charge, expecting to be alone, and saw a small portion of my team following me into oblivion. Gave me that warm fuzzy feeling, heh.

The first time I tried it the Horde were taken completely off guard. It took them about a minute for them to repel us, and we did exactly what I thought it would, lose at
Workshop.

However, we bought crucial time to mount our attack on the Horde Keep, and we won handily. The Horde had barely gotten our wall down.

So send a suicide team of 10 to Workshop while the main force goes docks, have the ressers hit Hanger because its the least defended. If you're good enough, you'll take it. It's not even so much for the extra damage, but just keeping that damage out of Horde hands helps us win.

I actually see other people using my strategy nowadays, and I just smile when it leads us to Victory every time. I may not even have been the first person to think it up, but I feel like I helped Allies everywhere succeed.

I haven't lost the Battleground in months.

that strategy only works when the horde doesn't have a good stealth team (which is often), but it does very well when it does work. That being said if I get 3 or 4 other stealth with me it is very unlikely your glaives will get more than a couple shots in if they get any, they are fragile enough that a rogue with subterfuge can do very serious damage by himself. If i have that and throw a smoke bomb down when i unstealth one glaive is almost guaranteed to die before it gets anywhere near bombing range.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
The main challenge you must overcome in IoC - like all casual BGs these days - is the widespread perception that the ideal method of getting honor points (which you will presumably use in some other activity you really care about) is to win/lose quick, happily collect the welfare honor granted to losers if thats the way it goes, and re-queue.

Having played both factions, sometimes its literally a battle between two teams each trying to lose faster than the other side. And, sadly the math often supports them. A horde queueing instantly and losing games as fast as possible can earn honor faster than an alliance with a long queue wait even if the allie wins every game.

Outside pre-mades, this approach is so deeply ingrained now that many players will get mad if you play aggressively and extend the game past the duration they are accustomed to. They actually want IoC to be nothing more than a predictable machine where you insert your character for 10 minutes, get punched in the face while expending as little efforts as possible, drop your banner, lose, collect 100 points, then repeat until you get your next piece of stuff. So don't be surprised to hear a chorus of "let them win!", "you guys are making this the worst IoC ever", "why bother", "just end it".

But, still, some people will try if they see hope (or at least the potential for some fun). So as you play out your game, be sure to type out encouraging things like "we got this!"... "we're winning!" etc. If you have a setback, say "alright we let them have that and its close now but we can recover quickly if we do <blank>". Never panic and go negative. Have your vent team-mates echo the positive stuff in game chat. Its contagious. And try lots of carrot, no stick (because stick is easily ignored or ridiculed)

Sounds silly but when I call out directions I'll say something like "free cookies and pie at Glaives!" instead of the usual "nobody went to glaives so get here now or we lose". If you can make someone smile, even a little, you have their attention. If I want someone on the cannons I'll run up there and drop a blingtron because if I can get a couple up there, chances are they might stay. If people at the start are begging for a table and I'm on my mage, I'll promise to drop one at the glaives where I want more to go.

Cultivating a positive attitude can make the difference between a game with a final winning push and one where half the team finds a good hiding spot, drops their banners, tabs out, and stands around scratching their bellies for the last few minutes.
Edited by Calliesta on 4/2/2013 11:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]