The thing I would change for each Heal Class

85 Dwarf Paladin
I got to thinking if I could change one thing for each healing class what would it be. I tried to hone in on what I considered design flaws. Things that limit a class ability to perform in a variety of healing functions. I also didn’t want it to become every class has one of this kind of thing. The exception being I think healing class should have the three heal model and the ability to dispel all mechanics that could potentially cause a wipe. Some curses are too potent and some classes should not have to heal through. That was my one thing across the classes here are my thing for each class:

Holy Pally: Mana regen and expenditure.

Reasoning: Sure the pally rules hps meters in DS but take them out of that and put them in a 5-man with not so great pug dps. You will be licking the boss for every last drop of mana. Blizz’s concept of a melee healer is asinine (incoming monk worries me deeply). Putting mana regen in melee swings and claim judging on CD was “too active” is whatever word is worse than asinine. Protector of the innocent and melee heal is a drop in the bucket compared to most melee range splash mechanics. Add onto that a proclivity to nerf by increasing mana cost instead of decreasing spell potency. Well, u get OOM pallies, dead team mates. Scale back the raw HPS next nerf and don’t keep increasing mana cost.

Disc Preist: On demand big heal. Greater heal is very too weak.

Reasoning: Cast bubble it pops in few seconds, prayer of mending one charge then goes to a never hit ranged player, cast penance, and then watch tank die faster than you can heal before forbearance dissipates. Also ehat if I have one dps getting hit with something random. I don't have anything to patch them up with. If penance had no CD then this would not be a problem. Why it has a CD? I don’t know.

Holy Preist: 3 dispels (also a annoyance for disc)

Reasoning: You make an interface with a 10 spell bar and then give somebody three dispels. I understand the difference between mass and single that’s two. What I don’t get is why the single target isn’t rolled into one spell like every other class. Is it because of class homogenization? Because this is not the different sort of feel I’m looking for in difference in play style. I left out lightwell which will prob be number one in any poll. My reason is i see it as palyer ignorance and not design error. It still upsets me to see it sitting unused just not a blizz problem.

Shaman: Riptide on CD.

Reasoning: There are many things that irk me about shaman healing but the most frustrating is riptide internal CD. You let me put riptide on three targets and then put a CD on it so I will never attain that goal. If you don’t want it to feel like a druid rejuvenate (which it doesn’t) all you had to do was limit it to 3 targets (which you did). The jack of all trades master of none is stymied in the HoT and instant cast dept. There isn’t another semi close contender to the druid in the instant cast HoT dept. That added to the burden of picking up and planting my totems at the end and start of every fight, constant refreshing of water shield, high cost of spells, and stationary healing rain that everybody seems to walk out of. Would it be too much to ask for a riptide without a CD?

Druid: Threat

Reasoning: Druid has what is called an in combat power gain (on global threat table) that can be active out of combat. This comes from the mana gain portion of lifebloom stack. You could be miles away and have a pack of healer eating mobs running for you. This can be even worse if it is not overheal which between fights is quite possible. So sitting sipping a cool drink time can turn into WTF! time. You can’t even remove the HoT stack to prevent this. Only watch as it goes off ticking like a bomb. And druids also have the irony of not having a threat dump. Cower which requires cat form, melee range, and is single target isn’t a healer threat dump. Neither is night elf shadow meld because you wrote it as such. If you want us to be form shifters and not feel class homogenized. Might I suggest a cat vanish that at least makes you invisible until a tank can round up the mobs (though this might lead to a DPS homogenized feel). Maybe I just found the answer go cat and stealth inbetween pulls. See I knew there was a reason I was doing this.

I encourage for you to share your class pet peeves and wishes. Maybe someday they will come true :)

Reply Quote
1 Worgen Mage
02/19/2012 05:36 PMPosted by Rustyhammer
Holy Pally: Mana regen and expenditure.

Is fine. I would be more concerns about their ability to heal several spread targets, and even that is a minor one.

GH + ToT + Grace x3 is a Great heal....I don't have the lightest CLUE what you are talking about.

Holy Preist: 3 dispels (also a annoyance for disc)

Uhh....no.

Shaman: Riptide on CD.

uhh...no.

Uhh...no.
Reply Quote
1 Worgen Mage
My Ideas:
Disc:
Introduce on demand HPS cooldown to allow a disc to AoE heal should he/she get caught with their pants down with DA. Give it a 5 min cooldown.
Holy(priest):
Better returns from spirit and introduce a talent allowing them to have multiple PoM's out.
Holy(pally):
New healing spell with a HoT component(NOT glyph of WoG), make it's tick have a chance to proc something interesting, give it a long duration and make its cooldown short.
Resto(shaman):
New totem spell, Earth, allow shaman to reduce damage a target takes/save them if they would have died(GS for shaman).
Resto(druid):
10-15 second cooldown spell to enhance the effect of your next HoT(ala, UE): LB, increase healing by X%; Rejuve, allow Crits to reset duration; Efflo, reduce damage targets take while standing in it; WG, increase duration by 2/3 seconds.

Basically, they are QoL changes.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

PW:S?

Penance has a cooldown because it's the strength of GHeal with the timing of Flash Heal with the cost of Heal (or closer to it). If it had no cooldown...wowzers.

I will say, not having a Fade-like spell on Druid is kind of annoying in 5 mans where tanks are sometimes...well, you know.
Edited by Kerias on 2/19/2012 6:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/19/2012 06:05 PMPosted by Oldwolfe
GH + ToT + Grace x3 is a Great heal....I don't have the lightest CLUE what you are talking about.

It's not on-demand.

He actually correctly identified Disc's greatest weakness, the one that's going to utterly cripple the spec if the Holy-Nova-as-only-multitarget-heal idea goes through in Mists.

Not that removing the CD on Penance is a remotely reasonable idea. But it could stand to be dropped to 6 seconds or so.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Pally rebuttal:
If by wrong you mean casting a single target heal on the player that needs it. That happens to cost more the most other class massive AoE heal CDs. Then yes I am playing wrong. Sorry I haven't adopted HR spam LoD model in the spread high movement of many 5-man mechanics. Judgment was not fixed it was broken. And yes blizz has it in mind that a pally should stand in the front playing whack a mole. Also happens to be the plan for the monk.

Disc rebuttal:
Greater heal buffed to the nines is a band aid at best. I’m just talking tank healing which most of the time is preventable through shields and absorbs. Where is my heal up for a single DPS target? Unless I keep a bubble up on every player at all times. A penance without a cool down is a clean answer.

Druid rebuttal:
Yes I am serious. Druid is by far the worst healing class when it comes to pulling threat. Is it a little of bad tanking. Yes. It is also due to something tanks have no knowledge of, the combat power gain aspect of lifebloom. Most restro druids don't even know about it. Hell you don’t know about it. Took me forever to figure out what was going on because overheal doesn’t show up on threat table. I can do math .5x of my healing, divided by number of mobs in global threat range is my threat. Compared to 5x DPS done to a target as tank threat. On a spread sheet all looks neat and clean but in reality a tank doesn’t hit everything, and is less likely to hit everything if something pulls before them.Not bad play just an oversight because combat power gain is almost never talked about in threat. Druid get corpsed and kicked from groups because of this. So yeah I am serious. L2P is an issue you have if that’s the best argument you have against what I’m explaining.

As for the others, Mr. “uh…no”. A guttural noise, ellipsis and the single word no, is barely English, and definitely not a lucid argument for or against. Therefore I have nothing to counter you with but Ah…yes! Mine is better just because it has an exclamation point. That is what happens when you put up such lame arguments.

I don’t expect everyone to agree to my list. What I would more like to hear about is what is on your list. Not what you think about my list. Someone once said every internet discussion starts with “look at this cute kitty” and ends with “%&*# you, and your kitty you %^#@ing communist!”
Edited by Rustyhammer on 2/19/2012 7:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Shaman:

There are a whole bunch of things that I would change, but as a start, I would make MTT an individual regen cooldown instead of a raid cooldown. This would allow Blizzard to balance our mana regen without it effecting every other healer's regen as well.
Reply Quote
I dont think you get that Blizzard has to have two versions of each heal, one for pve, one for pvp, and they have to satisfy both with one spell. Giving riptide no CD would be great in pve, but to OP in pvp; spamming riptide would outheal anything. What could happen is that riptide could have a spray affect, it could have a small heal outside of the normal one to a main target. This could satisfy your argument and also have little affect on pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Better animations for Smite & Holy Fire.
Reply Quote
1 Worgen Mage
02/19/2012 07:05 PMPosted by Kaels

It's not on-demand.

He actually correctly identified Disc's greatest weakness, the one that's going to utterly cripple the spec if the Holy-Nova-as-only-multitarget-heal idea goes through in Mists.

Not that removing the CD on Penance is a remotely reasonable idea. But it could stand to be dropped to 6 seconds or so.

Meh, I guess I am just too used to never not having grace on someone who would need such a burst up.

But even then, with ToT and IF, there is still plenty of ST burst should you be capable adequately planning/preparing for it, which for disc is alreays the challenge.
Reply Quote
1 Worgen Mage
Disc rebuttal:
Greater heal buffed to the nines is a band aid at best. I’m just talking tank healing which most of the time is preventable through shields and absorbs. Where is my heal up for a single DPS target? Unless I keep a bubble up on every player at all times. A penance without a cool down is a clean answer.

Umm, in 5 mans...you should be practically spamming PoH whenever NOT smiting or directly healing the tank. Honestly, when correctly played, disc in a 5 man makes your group nigh invincible.

Druid rebuttal:
Yes I am serious. Druid is by far the worst healing class when it comes to pulling threat. Is it a little of bad tanking. Yes. It is also due to something tanks have no knowledge of, the combat power gain aspect of lifebloom. Most restro druids don't even know about it. Hell you don’t know about it. Took me forever to figure out what was going on because overheal doesn’t show up on threat table. I can do math .5x of my healing, divided by number of mobs in global threat range is my threat. Compared to 5x DPS done to a target as tank threat. On a spread sheet all looks neat and clean but in reality a tank doesn’t hit everything, and is less likely to hit everything if something pulls before them.Not bad play just an oversight because combat power gain is almost never talked about in threat. Druid get corpsed and kicked from groups because of this. So yeah I am serious. L2P is an issue you have if that’s the best argument you have against what I’m explaining.

Its purely a Tank issue. I keep LBx3 and rejuve on my tanks in 5 mans Constantly, and the only time its a threat issue is when the tank cannot pull the mobs properly and one doesn't aggro. Druids can Thrash/Swipe for initial aggro, Pallies can throw their shield, DK's can drop D&D + BB and warriors can heroic throw/charge and thunderclap/shockwave. Any one of those AoE abilities should MORE than out threat any number of HoTs on the tank if used properly.

02/19/2012 07:10 PMPosted by Rustyhammer
As for the others, Mr. “uh…no”. A guttural noise, ellipsis and the single word no, is barely English, and definitely not a lucid argument for or against. Therefore I have nothing to counter you with but Ah…yes! Mine is better just because it has an exclamation point. That is what happens when you put up such lame arguments.

Holy: Has Zero problems with dispelling as long as the healer isn't really paranoid about it
Shaman: can you say OP? Riptide is already one of the Best instants for direct healing, removing its cooldown would Literally be insanity.

Better? Look, bottom line, your conclusions are either wildly wrong or not even remotely the issues the class/spec is having.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Judgment was not fixed it was broken.

It was a buff to regen. According to you, that was the problem.

Lol?

And yes blizz has it in mind that a pally should stand in the front playing whack a mole.

No, the mana gains on SoI are an artifact from... I don't know, sometime when it was useful. If Blizzard truly wanted pallies in the front, they would have either not given them a positional conetangle heal, or they would have made it shoot out their asses rather than their faces.

Where is my heal up for a single DPS target?

GHeal remains the most efficient big & slow single target heal in-game. While it may not do much more than Healing Touch on a non-Graced target, it's efficient enough that you can cast it more often without worrying about mana.

Granted, Grace stacking is painful without Penance, but removing the CD will not help. On the contrary, it would be downright overpowered. Imagine how potent Disc priests would be if they could keep three stacks of grace up on a full party at all times. A CD reduction is a better solution, as Kaels stated.

Yes I am serious.

I'm not savvy with the math behind threat (largely because there's absolutely no reason for me to be), but I can tell you that any mob the tank has so much as looked funny at never gets near me in a 5 man. If threat is an issue for you, it's an L2P issue on the part of the tank.

A guttural noise, ellipsis and the single word no, is barely English, and definitely not a lucid argument for or against.

If we were expected to construct complete rebuttals for every fallacy asserted on these forums, we'd be here all day. Truth is, some of them simply aren't worth it.

I don't mean to come off as rude, but some of the "issues" you present are either totally inconsequential to gameplay, in almost every conceivable scenario, or just outright wrong. For instance, the assertion that pally mana costs somehow detriment them more than simple HPS nerfs would, or that pallies are impotent in 5 mans because of their mana costs. Then we have the assertion that it isn't possible to roll three 21 second riptides because of a 6 second CD, and that druids, for some reason, are having threat problems in 5 mans.

I'm sorry, but all of these are somewhat ridiculous. Maybe Oldwolfe could have been nicer, but... well, some of these are just really ridiculous.
Reply Quote
1 Worgen Mage
Better animations for Smite & Holy Fire.

I agree.
Reply Quote
1 Worgen Mage
Maybe Oldwolfe could have been nicer, but... well, some of these are just really ridiculous.

Been dealing with a particularly annoying troll on a different forum....currently a *little* Short tempered.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
To be fair, I probably would have responded in the same way.
Reply Quote
1 Worgen Mage
02/19/2012 08:54 PMPosted by Anarri
To be fair, I probably would have responded in the same way.

You should see the things I am saying to this person....I say one thing, he interprets it as I said something Wildly different...and goes off on a paranoid rant abut how I have been brain washed blah blah blah....

I've lost task at how many times I've torn him anew one and he just goes "LOL...so says ultimate expert of Everything in the world!" and goes off on another rant....
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
02/19/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Anarri
No, the mana gains on SoI are an artifact from... I don't know, sometime when it was useful. If Blizzard truly wanted pallies in the front, they would have either not given them a positional conetangle heal, or they would have made it shoot out their asses rather than their faces.

I only really use SoI melee swings if the Nozdormo buff is up during DW and it's not a high damage part. It actually gives a ton of mana back, but otherwise...maybe a whack or two at some bosses booty, but not much.

I wish I could make LoD shoot out my butt though. Would save me potions of Illusion, they already let me do that.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
02/19/2012 09:34 PMPosted by Evayle
I wish I could make LoD shoot out my butt though. Would save me potions of Illusion, they already let me do that.

I think we found our new animation for Holy Fire and Smite...

Disc Priests get Penance, Greater Heal (With another 50% added if DA procs o.O), and Holy Fire. Those are 3 of the most, if not the most, efficient healing spells in the game and I already have the ability to throw out multiple single-target and efficient heals in a raid...Another healer! ;)
Edited by Melville on 2/19/2012 10:17 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]