GMO's

90 Tauren Shaman
Are they safe?

How come we never hear about this in the news or anything, im scared lol its just crazy. I know they have been around for a while but now its getting more attention.

Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
How are they getting more attention if you "never hear about this in the news?"
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
GMOs are perfectly safe. Some people say otherwise, they're wrong: there is absolutely no evidence that GMOs are harmful.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I would research your opinions first Bigburudder. GMOs could be safe however one big nasty group named Monsanto that is the leaders of making GMOs however are not safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbvYwg-Aqis

this video can explain it better along with countless others you can find and testimony's from farmers how they got sick just for LIVING near the crops along with there livestock dieing just from eating the GM crops.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I would research your opinions first Bigburudder. GMOs could be safe however one big nasty group named Monsanto that is the leaders of making GMOs however are not safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbvYwg-Aqis

this video can explain it better along with countless others you can find and testimony's from farmers how they got sick just for LIVING near the crops along with there livestock dieing just from eating the GM crops.

I wouldn't be surprised if any sort of ailment had more to do with the copious amounts of herbicides they're using on the crops.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Well, anymore, those crops are gmo'd to produce the pesticides themselves, Snoz.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
03/05/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Nachtstier
Well, anymore, those crops are gmo'd to produce the pesticides themselves, Snoz.

I'm not against the idea of GMOs themselves, but producing a consumable crop that naturally produces toxins seems counter-intuitive. I just glanced through a wiki article on Monsanto and saw they were using a Roundup resistant strain, thus presuming excessive use of the herbicide may be related.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
03/06/2012 06:23 AMPosted by Snozberries

I'm not against the idea of GMOs themselves, but producing a consumable crop that naturally produces toxins seems counter-intuitive. I just glanced through a wiki article on Monsanto and saw they were using a Roundup resistant strain, thus presuming excessive use of the herbicide may be related.

Well, to be more precise, they produce a toxin that is poisonous to the main threat to that crop in the area they are grown. Like corn being GM'd to kill weevils by producing a toxin specifically targeted to that bug. I'm not sure this is an accurate example (the right bug for said plant) but you get the idea.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
they are safe but it is part of the nwo's agenda to render common folk sterile and upon reaching the goal of 500,000 people left on the planet one can then aquire a license to eat a different diet that would allow one to concieve a child.

(im kidding of course)
Edited by Kendamd on 3/6/2012 7:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
they are safe but it is part of the nwo's agenda to render common folk sterile and upon reaching the goal of 500,000 people left on the planet one can then aquire a license to eat a different diet that would allow one to concieve a child.

(im kidding of course)

Sounds like a nice super villain plot.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
While i have nothing against genetic modification itself, I think humans are far too quick to jump the gun and say, "Oh yeah, we got all of this totally figured out. There's no danger at all! Really!" only to find out a decade or two later, "!@#$. Guess we didn't have it all figured out." In fact, it's a common pattern in our history.

This is the world's food supply we're talking about here; it's nothing to toy with haphazardly. GMO food, in my opinion, shouldn't be deployed unless it's been through a decade or more of rigorous testing beforehand.

Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
another common pattern however has been advancement
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Well, the leading GMO company's (Monsanto) cafeteria only serves organic products. If it's not good enough for them, it's probably not good for us.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
One big issue is seed control. Most GMO crops are engineered to be single generation only, which means that you cant grow anything form the seeds of the first crop.

This ties growers into needing to buy seeds every year from companies instead of being self sufficient.

Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
GMOS ARE BAD! it makes 1 plant that's "ideal" and mass produce "cloning pretty much". they also do it to animals. itd be like taking your cat Patches n cloning it a million times over, then getting ride of all the other cats. these Genetically Modified Organisms cant reproduce and due to there lack in genetic diversity are very bad for you. its like eating turkey for every meal of every day. you need variety. just like its not beneficial when working out to do the same exercises over n over, you need diversity in your diet. except GMOs go a little further. you loose that essential diversity in your diet BUT how GMOs work, we are loosing the very cell structure of what makes "tomatoes, apples, oranges, carrots, and salmon" a live organism in the first place. a few more generations of genetically modifying these plants n animals you wont even be able to look at their DNA and recognize what the hell it is. they don't reproduce nothing. their just chemical n machine grown "things". n also disease that adapts to these plants n animals can easily wipe out them AND poison us, just like how the immune system works. once you catch a virus or bacterial infection, its hard to get it again. but if every.... single.... plant and animal we eat...... is the same cloned fake "thing", its very easy for a sneaky virus or bacteria to do hard damage on a large scale, to us and less regrettably, the cloned "things". GMOs are bad don't let any ignorant idiot tell you otherwise. Don't forget Americas money based. until money isn't profiting or some hero saves us nothing will happen. JUST BE AWARE OF WHAT YOU BUY!!!!!!!!!!
Edited by Maniacmcgee on 8/17/2014 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
GMOs..run run for your life. We've been using GMOs for thousands of years. We genetically breed/modify/cross-breed for centuries.

Cow.

Dog.

Corn.

You name it. There is not evidence that modifying the genome is detrimental. Spraying them with pesticides is another matter.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Every food that you eat that has been raised on a farm or ranch is genetically modified. No exceptions. The only thing that has changed is that our methods for genetically modifying organisms have changed and become infinitely more precise.

With the old methods, breeders had to select the organisms that had the most desirable traits and breed them together, hoping thus to preserve the traits. In this way, they randomly mixed thousands of genes that would never have mixed naturally. Sometimes, the results were good, most often, they weren't. It took years or decades to achieve any significant progress, since the methods gave such random results.

Now we have new methods, where we can target a single gene for change, and leave the rest of the genome alone. So, instead of randomly mixing tens of thousands of genes, we can specifically alter a single gene. That's a huge improvement. It's the equivalent of jumping from doing surgery with tourniquets and saws to doing microsurgery with pinpoint lasers.

Now, I will address a couple of points listed in the thread. First point, is the modification of corn to produce a toxin that is specific to insects that eat corn. This corn produces a protein from Bacillus thuringiensis, a soil bacteria that is naturally present on corn. So if you eat Bt corn (as it's called), you consume a protein that you have already been consuming your whole life, if you eat corn. You aren't eating anything new or that you have not encountered before. This protein becomes toxic in alkaline environments, like the inside of an insect gut. But in an acid environment like our stomach, the protein is inactive and ends up being broken down by our digestive system, like most proteins are broken down.

Second point, is the engineering of crops to make them sterile, so that farmers cannot save the seeds for the next year. This actually has been a tactic of seed companies for generations. Whenever farmers (or home gardeners) buy hybrid seed, they are buying a one-time use only product. Hybrids do not breed true, so that even if the farmer/gardener saves seeds for the next year, they will not produce the same breed of plants. Another aspect of this is to protect the environment. Plants that are engineered to be resistant against certain pests could, theoretically, introduce that modification into wild plants if they were able to reseed and grow in following years. Some domestic plants do breed with their wild cousins. There are a lot of potential environmental effects from this sort of introduction, so we want to avoid the problem by making the plants sterile.
Reply Quote
We eat evolved animals; mutants, every one. I think GMOs are progress.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]