RP Healing

78 Gnome Mage
Been wondering about this for awhile.

Say you get hurt while IC. Is it acceptable to find a priest and have them wiggle their magic fingers over you, and you're back to 100%? Or do you have to go through a more realistic healing process?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I'd imagine serious wounds such as detached limbs or in-born mental and cognitive processing disorders can't be fixed by a healer. But something like a large gash or anything else physical and minor can be fixed and solved rather quickly. Things like sicknesses, burn wounds, anything involving full-body would probably take a while to heal and recover from, all that. At least, that's how I see things. I'd like there to be some depth, rather than 'k you're fixed now go back to doing dangerous things'.
Reply Quote
78 Gnome Mage
Makes enough sense to me.

Though, Pyro tries to heal people with fire. She hasn't found a way to keep them from running away. Yet.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Though, Pyro tries to heal people with fire. She hasn't found a way to keep them from running away. Yet.

You need more masochistic patients. I've heard that they're not afraid of 'trying new things'.
Reply Quote
78 Gnome Mage
There is always a suspension of disbelief at work for most fantasy games/media. In general, you can explain away most stuff by calling it glancing wounds, what have you. If it's not relevant to the plot, I see no reason to do it.

Admittedly, I am somewhat biased, because I note that "wounded" RP tends to be an excuse for people to wear the bandage shirt and walk around Cathedral square, roleplaying getting doted on. That, relationships and pregnant RP just plain weird me out, since it's all handled with immense dullness.

Well, I mean like if one gets stabbed in the face, or accidentally gets their hair set on fire..
Reply Quote
There is always a suspension of disbelief at work for most fantasy games/media. In general, you can explain away most stuff by calling it glancing wounds, what have you. If it's not relevant to the plot, I see no reason to do it.

Admittedly, I am somewhat biased, because I note that "wounded" RP tends to be an excuse for people to wear the bandage shirt and walk around Cathedral square, roleplaying getting doted on. That, relationships and pregnant RP just plain weird me out, since it's all handled with immense dullness.

With me, it depends entirely on the circumstances.

An here has been seriously injured once. And because of that, she had to be in bandages and out of commission for a good while. It was caused in a fight where she got in way over her head, and had a myriad of trauma occur, not just a cut or a stubbed toe. Those I could see getting fixed with magic rather easily. And near death, I view rezzes as just a massive amount of healing energy used to keep someone from dying. But when you have three broken limbs, a possible concussion, and several broken ribs, you're going to need some time off.

And that time off will usually be done in bandages.

But then, I also used Annie's injury as an excuse to not play her for a bit, as I had other characters that would've been just as, if not more, useful, so as to give them some time in the limelight.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue

I completely agree with this, especially the second paragraph. Whenever my character has been badly injured from a /roll fight I always feel extremely self-conscious about RPing the injury, because on the one hand if I shrug it off and say he's fine shortly after, then I'm not "playing fair." On the other, playing out severe injuries makes me a bit sick to my stomach from how woe-is-me it is. It's very frustrating.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Hence why I also loathe roll fights. If it's acted out, you can at least have some control in how it goes down so you don't get stabbed in the face.

You can, of course, cry "but that's not realistic!" But what other options are there, really? Get stabbed in the face? That's fairly well fatal. Is it realistic to never log onto that character again? Maybe, but who's going to do that?

This is one of those issues that you can probably afford to be slightly unrealistic on in the name of fun.

Part of the problem there isn't in roll fights in and of itself but in how people view things like HP. They've mutated from being an indicator of plot armor in the original D&D - glancing blows, close scratches, as you indicated - into somehow being a realistic descriptive of damage inflicted, which is pretty nonsense both in how they're portrayed and in not fitting at all with the high fantasy tone of the setting. I prefer to end a roll fight with "defeated" rather than "dead." Leaves less room for unnecessarily insane gore.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
My ideas on healing others in RP situations:

Minor injury- Cuts, slight burns- The Light will easily remove these ailments with prayer and channeling of it. A minute or two of healing.

Major injury- Broken bones, sever burns, mortal wounds- The Light will heal these wounds, but it will take days of healing. In addition, use of more base healing methods, such as first aid bandages and herbal ointments will be necessary. Healing takes from days to weeks.

Healing others in RP pvp situations-

Bursts of Holy Light healing will temporarily, with the natural adrenaline of the fighter, get the harmed up and atom much quicker. However, healing will likely be necessary for after the fighting.
Reply Quote
From a collaborative essay on the subject that was never quite finished:

The authors generally favor a low-magic approach to healing; in fact, healing RP may sometimes seem more like surgery RP. Magic in this view is a tool like any other. It might be used to burn out infection, seal off an artery, or spur a bone to knit in days instead of weeks. A very strong healer might be able to re-attach a severed limb, but she couldn't regenerate a new one (with the possible exception of a major Druidic event).

Why shouldn’t I just magic it all away?
* It's boring. "How did you recover so quickly?" "A wizard--I mean, paladin did it.”
* It doesn't offer much interaction--which is the whole point of RP.
* It trivializes injury and breaks dramatic tension. If someone can go from mangled to perfectly fine after a few spells, then what was the point?
* It doesn’t distinguish your character from other members of her class. Every priest can toss off a Flash Heal. What makes yours unique?

Why rely on magic in a healing scene?
* The healing may not be the main event. It can be used in a general way as background activity to add interest and believability to a scene.
* It's part of the world. Every race and culture has healing magic. You may not rely heavily on it, but don’t throw it out completely.
* It's what a character does. If Bob the Priest has devoted his life to channeling the Light, he wouldn’t ignore that in favor of a Band-Aid.

As always, these suggestions are not written in stone. If your group wants a more high-magic scene, go for it. Fun should always win.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Typically, I consider healing as a priest to be something that takes a great amount of energy, as I consider it almost willing someone's body to mend. I feel it's a process that could be fairly brief for superficial wounds (though I do not feel a superficial wound is going to merit a healer healing it, to be honest), to hours or days for something more severe. Also entirely dependent on the healers experience and skill in the processes.

At least that's how it would work for Thane. He's no Tyrande. It's also why I don't usually directly heal someone in game. I'm part of an RP at the moment where he's helping someone heal their eyes, which is an intimidating feat, that is consisting of much prayer, will, and repeated failure at the moment.

I know some can just wave a hand and magically heal someone instantly, that's just very uninteresting to me.

On the subject of resurrection, which Thane has also been asked to do and seems to be the ultimate "heal", I refuse. Every time. He is not strong enough to manage such a feat, and I doubt there are many who are in Azeroth. Just because healers have the spell, I don't think resurrections should be taken so lightly. It annoys me a bit, since I see people kill off their characters, knowing they can just ask around until they find someone to RP out a resurrection. It really trivializes death, and makes it hold much less impact when you know the character is just going to come right back. It's like the cheese method in comics to fish for more sales.

People are gonna do what they're going to do, and more power to them, but Thane cannot execute a resurrection. And I'll usually just let people know that in an OOC whisper when they ask.
Reply Quote
81 Troll Priest
I walk around Dalaran all the time, giving 'blessings' and helping where I can (As much as an illiterate troll who can't speak orcish can) And oftentimes find myself in the First to Your Aid clinic (the first aid trainer). Whenever possible, I try to approach RP healing as a slow, tedious process, one hindered by the fact Zeh'rah is not confident in her own magic, and so fall back on the basics. Those being to use a knife and cut away infected tissue, liberal applications of salves and ointlents, bandages and even stitching people shut.

A few of you (and you know who you are) can also attest to how good of a sponge bath I can give :P My paladin (still low level) is even weaker in her healing arts then Zeh' here, but was able to revive two people who were OOCishly unwilling of having their characters murdered by a rogue assassin. Granted, I popped ALL my cooldowns, and it still almost killed said paladin herself, and the only reason it worked was because she was dragged in literally minutes after the killings...

However, when I find myself stuck in the middle of an Alliance focused RP in the clinic, I usually find some way to 'ask' if I can help, as most NEs and humans will rarely trust a troll to patch them up... And if permitted, I then fall back on basic emotes and spamming AoE healing spells. >.< Blizzard should really allow people to buff and heal oposite faction folk when in a 'sanctuary' location...

But in summary (if there ever was a premise to this shpeal) it all depends on the situation and the tools at your disposal. Can you bring back the dead? I think so, but only if the price paid is high enough. Equivalent exchange, and all that jazz.
Reply Quote
As another poster said, I prefer depth vs. “Vandy casts Renew” and <player name> skips off into the sunset.

Personally, I’m not a fan of instant heals. In my opinion, even direct magical/faith-based healing takes its time to mend. Minor wounds are still going to bruise up and be sore. Major trauma is going to take repeated visits by the healer and some conventional techniques as well. And there are ways to treat a wound that would still leave a scar or some type of mark behind, because a) they make for good “badges of honor” (I can easily see some warrior begging the healer to “fix it so it leaves a good one behind”) and b) chicks dig that kind of thing.

Ultimately though, I just leave it up to the imagination of those involved.
Reply Quote
56 Orc Warrior
I yell at my wounds.
They stop bleeding and get sewn back up without the use of needle and thread. I'm a warrior. I don't know tailoring.

http://www.thedailyblink.com/2011/03/warriors-now-with-healing-spec/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a serious note: Time. Lots and lots of time.
Edited by Thokk on 2/22/2012 8:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
81 Troll Priest
PS: If anyone ever needs or wants healing RP, I can be found in Dalaran more often then not >.> Just look for people with priest blessings or a Lightwell...

As for how to handle intense pain (Like when stitching people) I prefer to give them herbal painkiller leafs to chew on... Keeping people from swallowing it, thought, tends to be the hard part... >.< Of course, I have actual military grade emergency triage training... So I know some tricks to patching people up... Like the 'taco wrap' bandage trick...

Taco Wrap: When the intestines, or other such vital organs, have physically fallen out of an open wound across the abdomen, you should use two sizable pads, the first one should be thoroughly soaked in CLEAN fresh water, then wrapped/folded over the externally misplaced organs, then rested against the body. Then you place the second pad, dry, but preferably clean, over the first, and tie it into place. I always forget if it's proper etiquette to sinch the knot over the bandage, or on the side of the body... >.< Also, keep the guts moist, letting them dry out is no bueno.

WARNING! Only a professional doctor should EVER attemped to place 'fallen out' organs back into a person's body, and only in a proper medical facility. Do not worry, as long as the bleeding is stopped, a human being can survive for a couple of days with their intestines on the outside, as long as it doesn't get infected or ruptured. Their just going to be in pain... Lots, and lots of pain...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]