How do YOU pronounce "prot"?

90 Human Rogue
Several people have already laid out exactly why it is actually pronounced like 'pot' due to the way english works. We're not dealing with accents or opinions just the factual way to pronounce it. When you remove that vowel and cut it down to prot it changes, plain and simple.
73 Tauren Druid
Interesting the types of debates that happen on general sometimes.

Protection is pronounced as someone else already pointed out (with a dictionary cut & paste no less): pro-tec-tion (three syllables).

Where the OP (I think) is trying to come from, is that the abbreviated version of the word (prot) should be pronounced as the portion of the word it's taken from.... "pro" + the "t"... or "proat" (sounding).

The problem though, is that we're talking about a pronunciation based on the abbreviation.... which is "prot" or an "aught" sound.

So yeah... pronounced "proaught" as in "pot" or "lot"... or you get the drift.

EDIT: As silly as it sounds, we should really get a linguist (i.e. someone that has studied linguistics) in the thread. ;)

<---- You already had one. I am an English/Communications professor (linguistics being a major part of the Communications field)

I provided the grammatical rule, as well as some linguistic examples, but this has turned into something more along the lines of International Communications, as opposed to either English or Linguistics. Some of our friends from other continents say things differently, so they do not follow our linguistic cues the same.

If you and your girlfriend are from North America then the "standard" pronunciation is prot as in cot, rot, hot, not, tot, lot.
Edited by Solhorn on 2/22/2012 12:09 PM PST
90 Human Rogue
Pot and thought are very similar words for North American English.

no. they're not.

yes, i'm from north america.

yes, i'm from the US.

first time i saw someone rhyming pot with thought in this thread i thought they were insane.

they sound nothing alike and if i try to pronounce them to sound the same in my head i feel like a tard.

Then that's a you thing. Everyone else I've ever spoken with pronounces them the same.

Do you throw a 'W' sound in there or something? ought = essentially 'ot'
Edited by Bleedyoudry on 2/22/2012 12:09 PM PST
39 Undead Rogue
How do YOU pronounce "prot"?

"tank"
your girlfriend is right. gtfo.
85 Night Elf Druid
Proe-t (Pro as in professional)

I basically say it like I would say Protection, but just cut it short.

This persons normal
90 Tauren Paladin
It's not Prawt, or Pr-oat

I Pronounce it Pro (silent T) as in

Random Nub: I need a tank for DS

Willin: I'll go, I'm a pro pally.
85 Draenei Priest
I walked into this thread knowing I say prot, like rot. I leave this thread not knowing how to pronounce "thought", and looking for a bowl of proatmeal.
85 Draenei Mage
We wouldn't be arguing this at all if English were a phonetic language :(
90 Gnome Warlock
So my girlfriend and I got into a heated discussion about how to pronounce the short term "prot" as in "protection paladin".

I'm convinced it is pronounced "prot" as in it rhymes with OAT, she's convinced it's pronounced "prot" as in rhymes with THOUGHT.

Which of us is right? Help a brother out here!

It's called Tankadin, not prot paladin. Wars are called Prot wars. Learn your slang :)
82 Troll Hunter
Then that's a you thing. Everyone else I've ever spoken with pronounces them the same.

Do you throw a 'W' sound in there or something? ought = essentially 'ot'

???

thought is pronounced thawt

pot is pronounced paht

say them back and fourth please

ot = aht

ought = awt
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Bleedyoudry
85 Human Rogue
Caustic
1110 Edited by Bleedyoudry on 2/22/12 12:04 PM (PST)
Alright, this is completely baffling to me.

How in the world does thought rhyme with prot?

Prot rhymes with rot... there is no 'aught' sound (how thought is pronounced) anywhere in prot or rot.

Look at the following list of words and tell me which one doesn't belong.
rot
pot
thought
cot
lot
prot

I'm glad we had this discussion.

yeah, i'm highly confused at how many people seem to pronounce pot as "pawt" or throught as "thaht".

i'm baffled.

Pot and thought are very similar words for North American English.

Ok. I have to call BS on this. It *HAS* to be a regional dialect thing, because I am most definitely american (eastern), and do not pronounce thought anything like the other words on the list.

As far as I'm concerned, pot and thought are absolutely nothing alike.

Pot/rot/cot/bot. -also see: stop, sock, clock - these words all share the same vowel sound.

Thought,bought,taught,fought,caught. - also see: Thaw, crawl, fall. these all share the vowel sound.

I intentionally looked for words that didn't match the rhyming scheme that share a vowel sound for reference.

I won't argue that one or the other dialect is correct, obviously everyone speaks differently from different regions, but I've seen multiple people in this thread say it's an "american" thing, and thats definitely not true. It may be regional to your area, but it's not across the board. In fact, before today, I've never heard of anyone saying "pot" to sound anything like "thought".

And as for the original question? Prot, like pot.
90 Human Rogue
How about laying out how you hear 'thought'? Must be adding some extra sounds in there or something.
85 Human Mage
I pronounce it prot as in "cot" but it makes sense pronouncing it prot as in coat. Pro-tection would make sense being shortened to "prot (proat)."
85 Night Elf Druid
I pronounce it "protection", because I'm not too lazy to say words that are abbreviated in typing. I don't say "lol" or "wtf", either.
85 Worgen Druid
always has been "PROT" as in protection or protect....
82 Troll Hunter
02/22/2012 12:16 PMPosted by Kirushi
Ok. I have to call BS on this. It *HAS* to be a regional dialect thing, because I am most definitely american (eastern), and do not pronounce thought anything like the other words on the list.

she linked the proper english pronunciation as shown on dictionary.com

if *you* have an accent that differs from the *proper* english pronunciation, that's fine.

but don't go saying it's not properly pronounced that way.

ps i'm from michigan
Edited by Kasshaaz on 2/22/2012 12:21 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]