Learned about healing by DPSing

90 Undead Priest
Hello everyone, I am a recent 85. I played BC back in the day and recently started fresh in Cata. Anyways, I have always played either a tank (Pally) or a healer because I enjoy being useful and having a key role in dungeons / raids ect..

Anyways, I decided to que as DPS for Heroics for a few reasons, first off to learn the dungeons and the fights, and second to help me get some gear. I struggled through a few heroics constantly going oom and decided I should learn them through DPSing and try to get some gear before healing them.

I learned something quite interesting... My gear is based off of my holy build, I just specced shadow and went in as DPS. So ofcourse I was usually low on the DPS meters. But here is the weird part. I was running with a very good tank and healer, we ran multiple heroics together, and I was the only player they wanted to keep around. When I asked why, the healer responded, "because I never have to heal you."

I ran a handfull of heroics last night and aside from the unavoidable AoE dmg from bosses I managed to stay out of damage for the entire dungeon.

Now I am not here to toot my own horn, what I am pointing out is I don't know whether it is my healing background and always trying to get dps to have a clue and not stand in the fire and green goo, or me just being aware of whats going on around me, even when I am brand new to the dungeon.

The question I have is have you ever had this happen? The last time I was healing, I could not keep up with the dmg dps was taking on the same heroic dungeons.

I have always been a generous healer and kept a steady flow of heals all around, even to dps who manages to take more dmg than the tank. But now I feel I have had a change of heart.. I find myself frowning on dps that takes so much dmg and much less willing to keep heals flowing their way.

Anyone ever feel this way?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
My DPS would go down if I moved, so I don't.
Reply Quote
02/24/2012 04:10 PMPosted by Anarri
My DPS would go down if I moved, so I don't.

Your dps will be zero when you're dead.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
02/24/2012 06:16 PMPosted by Oungan
Your dps will be zero when you're dead.

S'okay, the healer can keep me up.
Reply Quote
You better be glad I'm not your healer.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
02/24/2012 09:27 PMPosted by Oungan
You better be glad I'm not your healer.

At this point I really have no idea if you're serious or not, so you should know that my post was just a joke.

Back on-topic, I do believe that a healing background definitely gives a player the knowledge base they need to avoid things in dungeons/raids, if only because we see DPS do it so often that we know exactly how important it is to avoid it.

I do not, however, think it has any effect at all on situational awareness, unless you're used to running raids. In 5 mans, you can afford to tunnel vision your raid frames, and let DBM tell you when you're standing in stuff, but in a raiding environment, you'll have to watch the raid anyways in order to get the most out of your healing, so you can't afford to tunnel vision as much.
Reply Quote
But Fire mages and Desto warlocks get a damage boost when they stand in fire! SAme with Spriests in shadow voids and Ele shaman/Boomkin ins green goo.

Gosh, I thought everyone knew this....
Reply Quote
02/24/2012 10:04 PMPosted by Anarri
At this point I really have no idea if you're serious or not, so you should know that my post was just a joke.

It was a joke, although I've seen dps do it and argue with me about it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
02/24/2012 10:25 PMPosted by Oungan
It was a joke, although I've seen dps do it and argue with me about it.

Same. Comes with the territory, I suppose.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I often stand in front of the offender faceing him whill healling them so ine no way they can argue that I wasn't healling them
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I do not, however, think it has any effect at all on situational awareness, unless you're used to running raids. In 5 mans, you can afford to tunnel vision your raid frames, and let DBM tell you when you're standing in stuff, but in a raiding environment, you'll have to watch the raid anyways in order to get the most out of your healing, so you can't afford to tunnel vision as much.

I watch the raid so I can tell other people what to do.

Now, if I'm standing in fire with GTFO disabled, it's about a 50/50 tossup what I'm going to do first:
a) move
b) key up Vent and yell "Kaels! Get out of the fire!"

(I have witnesses to the second.)
Edited by Kaels on 2/26/2012 11:43 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]