What was vanilla/old wow like?

90 Night Elf Priest
I've heard you had to walk in deep snow uphill everywhere.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Druid seal form quest was possibly the worst quest ever in existence. Try that without thottbot
100 Troll Hunter
02/27/2012 12:22 PMPosted by Avaryce
Best part of Vanilla? No Tell-You-Where-To-Go quests. You read the text and found out where things were based on that text. Loved it.

Those were very few and other than that they were go kill 30 of this and 20 of that. BTW you can turn off the in game quest helper.

At least now I can get out in the world to get things done while in que instead of having to stay in IF or wherever spamming trade for a group. World chat was short lived so you can't go with that either. If you wanted to get into a battleground you had to stand by the war master. You could not leave the war room.

Have you tried turning off the quest helper in the redone zones? Or the Cata ones? It doesn't work out. They don't tell you where to go like they used to, I suppose because they assume everyone will have the helper on.

I liked having to stand next to the gates for each BG. Tons of world PvP, tons of dueling, just a really great atmosphere. That changed when they added the city battlemasters though.
100 Goblin Rogue
For many players (myself included) Farming gold for your first mount (at level 40)
meant many hours killing the mobs that dropped the most silver, or the most white items that vendored for the same.
At 60, farming Arcane Crystals from rich thorium veins could net you a cool 100 gold after several mind numbing hours in un'goro!
100 Goblin Rogue
02/27/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Shahr
Druid seal form quest was possibly the worst quest ever in existence.

Tied with the shaman water totem chain.
Gratz on hitting lvl 16! You will now spend the next 8 levels (which usually took several days) traveling around the world several times over to complete ONE chain.
Gratz! You are lvl 24, you can now train Frost Shock!

On the other hand, Frost Shock was all you needed after that, pve and pvp wise.
85 Human Warrior
PVE:

I miss taking ten times longer to level than it does now. I miss waiting in Ironforge for 45 minutes trying to find a group for the same dungeon I want, then flying out to the dungeon. I miss one person leaving in the middle of the run because it was taking too long, forcing someone to hearth back and find a replacement so you can hopefully finish. I miss spending a couple months repeating this same process for poorly itemized blue gear to be able to step into Molten Core and Onyxia. I miss running BRD no less than fifteen times to get the key to do Onyxia's lair. I miss stepping into Molten Core and killing trash for hours on end while carrying 10+ afkers, waiting for the one boss fight per hour and hoping that just maybe that one last poorly itemized piece of gear I have been chasing will drop that is only barely an upgrade over my poorly itemized blue piece.

PVP:

I miss sucking up to the people on the honor farm team to get into the team for farming WSG so I don't have to queue singly and get roflstomped by a premade in their full T2 gear. I miss waiting until Tuesday to see what percent of my current rank I am and how many weeks it will take me to rank up one notch to be able to buy one or two pieces of gear. I miss queuing for half an hour or more to get into one of the three BGs, with AV almost never being up because Horde wouldn't queue for it. I miss queuing for BGs at the 9's (19,29,39 etc), only to get roflstomped by twinks with BiS gear and enchants who claimed they did it only to fight other twinks, yet who mysteriously vanished after Blizz made BG-leveling possible so twinks only went against other twinks.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed playing, I just don't remember Vanilla nearly as fondly as the rose-tinted-goggle-wearing trolls.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
For many players (myself included) Farming gold for your first mount (at level 40)
meant many hours killing the mobs that dropped the most silver, or the most white items that vendored for the same.
At 60, farming Arcane Crystals from rich thorium veins could net you a cool 100 gold after several mind numbing hours in un'goro!

Golden pearls were easier to farm and sold faster ; )

Well on my server anyways.
85 Tauren Warrior
As a warrior, you stacked as much spirit as you could on your gear while leveling to increase hp regen out of combat.
I know I'm not the only one who did that.

Also, half the players you met while leveling out in the world were hunters, the other half were rogues, so you pretty much got the feeling that everyone but you was playing a hunter and you were missing out on something.

i did not do that :P i stacked "of stamina" so i had bigger hp pool :P i also died on every single ragnaros kill my guilds did as i was spamming the "high treat" heroic strike :P

vanilla wow was a big up and down experience. release state warrior were beyond horrible, i could not kill more then 1 mob of my lvl. execute was a kill or die move and retaliation was the best anti-rogue of all time
100 Human Warlock
hunter pet training was awesome....i dont know what the guy above me is saying.

yeah some of it was really harsh, but when good things happened in wow, they felt really good.

i havent been excited while playing since we killed fathom lord. that was a while ago.

---wand spec priests? have we mentioned that?
Edited by Spiteful on 2/27/2012 12:43 PM PST
93 Undead Mage
Once upon a time there were actually players out in the world. Azeroth was alive.
90 Night Elf Priest
Have you tried turning off the quest helper in the redone zones? Or the Cata ones? It doesn't work out. They don't tell you where to go like they used to, I suppose because they assume everyone will have the helper on.

I liked having to stand next to the gates for each BG. Tons of world PvP, tons of dueling, just a really great atmosphere. That changed when they added the city battlemasters though.

There were not that many quests that did not tell you where you had to go. It was very few. (I did not know about the quest helper changes though. It used to be you could turn it off) I like the convenience because then I am not out looking for one quest for 2 hours. Instead I am getting quite a few quests done in less than half the time. I can go on to do other things. Granted that was your experience but the truth of it is the conveniences are not bad things.

From what I remember the "tons of PvP" was a lot of griefing and if you had the raid gear you steamrolled everyone else. That may be fun for someone with the gear but it's not when someone is trying to have fun only to get killed over and over.

To each his own.
Edited by Avaryce on 2/27/2012 12:44 PM PST
100 Night Elf Druid
I think the phrase up hill through the snow both ways summarizes it well.

Once upon a time there were actually players out in the world. Azeroth was alive.

Then we hit 60 and sat in IF spamming LF1M tank for scholo. Or even better, LF someone with ubrs key, paying well.
Edited by Ziryus on 2/27/2012 12:46 PM PST
100 Human Mage
02/27/2012 12:30 PMPosted by Peacebloòm
I've heard you had to walk in deep snow uphill everywhere.

Oh, at wasn't as bad as all that. It was a earlier version of the game, and not nearly as refined as it is now.

Blizzard has had a few years now to improve over vanilla WoW and they have done just that. The game is miles better than it was then.
100 Draenei Mage
Vanilla - An appropriate moniker for the base game of WoW.
21 Night Elf Hunter
I have been playing since nilla.
I miss you captain placeholder!!
86 Blood Elf Hunter
I made a druid on release day and the only spec that was allowed then was Resto. You healed and you liked it or you didnt play in a group.

Being the only druid to show up for more than 1 MC raid made getting my armor easier. No need to use DKP.

MC raids that consisted on me removing curse, casting Mark of the Wild and innervating the main priest, only.

Getting asked by a group of rogues to do a stealth run to LBRS, was kinda fun though.

BRS groups that fell apart as soon as you realize no one had the key to open the door.

Onyxia chain quest.

Using travel form until lvl 51 because I couldnt afford my lvl 40 mount.

World bosses. Kazzak in Blasted Lands and that dam dragon in Azshara, cant remember the name, on a pvp server.

Only pvp was what you made in the world. Southshore - Tarren Mill was the battleground.

My druid is now stuck at 61 wearing her Cenarion and Stormrage gear and chilling in Darnassus.

1 AH per faction. Ironforge and Org, I think for horde.

Flight paths that you had to click each leg of the flight. If you wanted to fly to Theramore from Darnassus you didnt just get on at Darn and go afk. You flew to the next stop and click the next in line.

Doing a Strath run and having your 15 people spread across EP dying to those 3 elite scarlet mobs that wandered the path.

MC before attunement, which meant running through BRD to MC entrance and having locks summon the rest of the raid.

Even with all that I do miss vanilla. Making friends was easier, main healing Strath after it was made a 5 man was fun. Seemed like a closer environment.

Will I ever ask the game go back to Vanilla? Hell no, it was fun while it lasted but it needed changes.
100 Goblin Rogue
Three words that only the old school-ers will get.
Loyalty Level Six
The image of a naked female tauren (getting uncomfortably close with her pet) is burned into my mind.
100 Troll Hunter
02/27/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Avaryce
From what I remember the "tons of PvP" was a lot of griefing and if you had the raid gear you steamrolled everyone else. That may be fun for someone with the gear but it's not when someone is trying to have fun only to get killed over and over.

This hasn't changed. Now it's PvP gear instead of PvE gear.

My comment was in regards to the PvP around the BG gates. That no longer exists.
100 Night Elf Priest
02/27/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Vyndal
A good healer could carry a whole group of 5 if the Tank wasnt a complete moron.

Healers can still do this, it just requires gear to do now.

In fact...I'd say it's pretty much expected by tanks/dps to do so.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]