What was vanilla/old wow like?

58 Draenei Death Knight
I played vanilla until a few months into BC, and only returned six months ago. I always loved the game, but access issues and having other priorities caused the lapse.

The game is certainly more user-friendly and streamlined today than it was back then, and there have been a lot of improvements (though I really think the abandonment of progression was not one of them).

My favourite memory?

PvE: My guild steadily working our way through MC, and wiping again and again for weeks on Majordomo Executus...only to down Rag first try.

PvP: The absolute epic battles between Tarren Mill and Southshore. Or Astranaar and Splintertree. Or Nesingwary's in STV.
Community Manager
I was actually chatting just last night with someone who had started playing shortly after Cataclysm launched. :)

I have lots of great memories of adventures that have spanned from when World of Warcraft first launched through to the present day. The game has evolved quite a bit over the years, and I’m especially thankful for the many quality of life upgrades that were made along the way.

Way back when, you could only get a mount starting at level 40, so it took quite a bit of time to travel around Azeroth on foot. Flight points were by far the fastest modes of transportation, but you could only use them if you first hoofed your way over and discovered each Flight Master individually. When you used flight points you also could only travel directly from one to the next. They didn’t automatically connect to your final destination like they do now. So you’d have to make your way to the first point, talk to the flight master, fly to the next point, talk to the flight master, and so on. Accessing dungeons or raids also required additional travel time, as you had to make your way to them manually, and there were no mass summons or personal flying mounts back in that era that could speed up the process, either. So assembling five people for a dungeon run involved quite a bit of waiting around while people slowly made their way to the particular dungeon. It often took even longer for raids to get up and running because you’d be waiting for 40 people instead of just 25 or 10.

Battlegrounds and Arenas (both of which I relish) also did not launch with the original game. The first two Battlegrounds areas, Alterac Valley and Warsong Gulch, went live on June 7th, 2005, and you had to physically travel out in the world to the particular Battleground portal for each location in order to queue for them. As there was no time or resource limit on those games, they could run very long, and indeed some Alterac Valley matches on the servers I played on at the time could span multiple hours or even, in some cases, multiple days. For Battlegrounds, specifically, there were no cross-realm Battlegroups originally, so you could only face-off against opponents from your individual realm that were on the opposite faction. Way back then, you also couldn’t step up and challenge another guild on your own faction to an all-out War Game in Warsong Gulch, either, because War Games didn’t even exist until shortly after Cataclysm launched.

Travel around Azeroth and assembling groups for anything from PvP to dungeon runs and raiding is much more efficient now than it was in classic times. I think it’s especially fantastic being able to freely roam around the world and do other activities while you wait. Then, once the group is assembled, you can teleport directly into battle with your comrades as well as your friends from other realms (thanks to the advent of Real ID’s cross-realm support). And that’s, well… awesome.
100 Human Paladin
I was actually chatting just last night with someone who had started playing shortly after Cataclysm launched. :)

I have lots of great memories of adventures that have spanned from when World of Warcraft first launched through to the present day. The game has evolved quite a bit over the years, and I’m especially thankful for the many quality of life upgrades that were made along the way.

Way back when, you could only get a mount starting at level 40, so it took quite a bit of time to travel around Azeroth on foot. Flight points were by far the fastest modes of transportation, but you could only use them if you first hoofed your way over and discovered each Flight Master individually. When you used flight points you also could only travel directly from one to the next. They didn’t automatically connect to your final destination like they do now. So you’d have to make your way to the first point, talk to the flight master, fly to the next point, talk to the flight master, and so on. Accessing dungeons or raids also required additional travel time, as you had to make your way to them manually, and there were no mass summons or personal flying mounts back in that era that could speed up the process, either. So assembling five people for a dungeon run involved quite a bit of waiting around while people slowly made their way to the particular dungeon. It often took even longer for raids to get up and running because you’d be waiting for 40 people instead of just 25 or 10.

Battlegrounds and Arenas (both of which I relish) also did not launch with the original game. The first two Battlegrounds areas, Alterac Valley and Warsong Gulch, went live on June 7th, 2005, and you had to physically travel out in the world to the particular Battleground portal for each location in order to queue for them. As there was no time or resource limit on those games, they could run very long, and indeed some Alterac Valley matches on the servers I played on at the time could span multiple hours or even, in some cases, multiple days. For Battlegrounds, specifically, there were no cross-realm Battlegroups originally, so you could only face-off against opponents from your individual realm that were on the opposite faction. Way back then, you also couldn’t step up and challenge another guild on your own faction to an all-out War Game in Warsong Gulch, either, because War Games didn’t even exist until shortly after Cataclysm launched.

Travel around Azeroth and assembling groups for anything from PvP to dungeon runs and raiding is much more efficient now than it was in classic times. I think it’s especially fantastic being able to freely roam around the world and do other activities while you wait. Then, once the group is assembled, you can teleport directly into battle with your comrades as well as your friends from other realms (thanks to the advent of Real ID’s cross-realm support). And that’s, well… awesome.

And don't forget that on top of all those hardships, you had to experience them while walking in the snow, uphill both ways!

One of my favorite quotes from back before we had LFD (I started playing wow during TBC), was something along the lines of "after 4 years of wow, the hardest thing in the game is still getting another person to click on your summoning portal."

I remember the first time I did a dungeon with other people that were new and we were trying to figure out how to work that darn summoning stone haha.
Edited by Bravehearth on 2/27/2012 5:15 PM PST
90 Gnome Warlock
My Vanilla experience was I guess different than many here.

On my Warrior, I basically "solo'd" pretty much everything. If I got to see Dire Maul, or Black Rock, or Scholo/Strat, it was a rare treat. I saw 1 or 2 bosses of MC once.

Instead, I farmed gold to buy stuff. I basically ran SM Cathedral and RFD over and over and over (which is why my warrior normally wears the SM tabard -- as tribute), using my minimal Enchanting to DE blues. At rare times I would get 5 blues out of RFD, and sharded them all in to Small Radiant Shards. But typically, it was just 3. These sold for about 4g, sometimes more, sometimes less. I was getting about 20g+ per hour.

It was fun because I actually got to see my toon progress. At the beginning, it was quite the effort to make these runs. At first I would inevitably die once or twice, especially with running mobs in SM. Then it was down to using a pot or two during the instance, until it eventually got to chain pulling mobs. I was getting pretty good, but every now and then SM would humble my arrogance in some glorious fashion.

But knowing how much I was getting, its easier to better appreciate what it was like dropping 650g for my Arcanite Reaper (Hoo!!). 100g or so for Formula: Enchant Weapon - Crusader on that. Or the 1000g for the Swift Brown Ram. Boy did my heart stop when I mailed the mats to the BS to make my Reaper.

I spent lots of time (couple weeks, I guess off and on) farming the 2400(!!) pieces of Rugged Leather to get the Amulet of the Darkmoon. The Yetis in Winterspring haven't invited me back. I farmed the leather, sold the greens, bought more leather, and my friend converted them in to armor kits for me that I traded in to the DMF.

When ZG hit, some nice BOE blues dropped on the market.

The gold farmers had exploited Dire Maul to the point that Darkmoon Card: Heroism crashed in price, so I picked one of those up for less than 300g. Great boon.

As far as I could tell, in the end I had the best gear money could buy, save for Lionheart Helm. I simply couldn't drop another 1000g for a 1% Crit boost.

I started in March '05, dinged 60 in August, and the Arcanite Reaper was my first major purchase. That was never upgraded until BC when every warlock minion was casually swinging one, and it got replaced by some random green with no soul, but better stats. Now, level 1 lowbies swing its cheap knockoff like it means something.

This is what progression was like for the "casual" player.

Once I "maxed" him out, I worked Piddy here, leveled her up, and finally PVPd her up to Knight the week that BC hit (which was my goal). There just wasn't much left for my warrior to do.

90 Pandaren Shaman
Words can't explain how this game was back then, it was.....

magical
100 Human Paladin
Words can't explain how this game was back then, it was.....

magical

Wait, now this sounds like an iPad commercial...

We took an iPhone and...made it bigger. MAGICAL!
90 Human Warlock
I never played in vanilla WoW, I joined in BC.

Things were different.

You had to go to a Dungeon/raid to get to it unless you were summoned by a stone or by a Warlock.

Back then Warlocks had to summon people 1 at a time.

You had to be a fire or shadow Warlock before spellpower became one stat.

Warlocks were very powerful, even as a newbie my DPS was off the charts!

Humans had perception, you could see invisible stuff.

You got your first mount at level 40. Warlocks learned it as a spell, everyone else had to pay.

Your epic mount was at level 60, & Warlocks went on a crazy quest to obtain it.

Flying at 70, but non-epic flying only went about 60%. (Land mounts being 100%)

I couldn't afford epic flying until Wrath.

So there's a few things that changed since I started playing. :)
100 Human Paladin
02/27/2012 05:19 PMPosted by Killercaitie
You got your first mount at level 40. Warlocks learned it as a spell, everyone else had to pay.

*cough* Paladin *cough*

I used to LOVE helping people do the paladin charger quest at 60, and even those damn dirty warlocks!
Edited by Bravehearth on 2/27/2012 5:24 PM PST
100 Orc Death Knight
because War Games didn’t even exist until shortly after Cataclysm launched..

No one uses them^

RIP Skirmish.
90 Human Warlock
02/27/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Bravehearth

*cough* Paladin *cough*

I used to LOVE helping people do the paladin charger quest at 60, and even those damn dirty warlocks!

I didn't forget about Pallies, I was just telling my side of the story ya bloody light lovin' bubble boy!
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I didn't play classic, my first character was a warlock in BC.

Soul shard was an annoying mechanic:(
Soul shard is a item that doesn't stack in your bag, and you have to get it one by one from soul draining a mob that gives experience. Many lock spells require soul shard including but not limited to summon (1 shard per each person), all pet summons except imp, shadow burn, soul fire, soul stone, spell stone and fire stone. If you raid you don't get to have your bag because before each raid you have to farm soul shard so you could summon pet/people during raid:(

It was bad.
90 Night Elf Warrior

TLDR = Welcome to Cata, the Lobby Based MMO
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/27/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Bravehearth

*cough* Paladin *cough*

This is maybe what I miss most about 'Nilla era WoW. My 1st char was a warlock then I made a Pally for a change. There never seemed to be a tough time getting other players to assist on thos and believe me , i've passed that on many times since then. Well....before they basically gave the mounts away that is.

There was a real sense of comraderie back then and a real sense of accomplishment that hasn't beenn around since. Now , everyone "sells" their services to help on anything. Need a portal? 30g!

I'm not sayng I dont enjoy the game mind you , I just think there was more to be proud of. You had to earn what ya got , not just take a trip to the nearest AH and finding a group was easier imo. No elitist snobs telling you what you were going to have to do as a given role to be in "their group".
100 Human Paladin
It was all loose women and disco music.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The Mage.

The primary job of a mage.

Decurse, decurse, decurse, decurse, aoe, and then back to decursing.
Prepping food and storing them in your bags.
Praise warlocks for clearly being far superior to your class in the later half of Vanilla WoW.

Lock was superior in almost all of BC too:)
92 Orc Warrior
I liked when there was no resiliance.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I started back in early BC, so i had to exp the new very long leveling from lvl 1 to 70. (Which to this day i miss very much).

But from everything people told me about vanilla wow, i'm kicking myself in the butt for not starting this game much earlier an miss out on all the long grinding to get gear/to finish quest/to find groups for the outdoor raids, etc. (Yes, i'm one of the very select few people who loved hardship of grinding days. When i finished something it really felt like i had to work for it, unlike the way things are today.)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]