What was vanilla/old wow like?

100 Blood Elf Priest
02/27/2012 12:08 PMPosted by Kaworu
Imagine a time when it took several months of playing 3 to 6 hours a day just to level your character up to 60.

This for sure. I remember hitting 60 on my first character... it was pretty awesome :D.

As far as the general experience of vanilla goes, accomplishing something was a big deal. Dungeons took longer -- a typical undead Stratholme run was about two hours with careful use of CC and such, later on a 45 minute Baron kill run was quite a feat -- and if you didn't have a regular guild group you ran with it could be a chore to find tank/heals.

The largest difference, only felt when they were finally introduced in Burning Crusade, was no dailies. With dailies as we've had them for a few years now, it's SO much easier to make money. Back then you really had to pinch your pennies and sell stuff to make any kind of real money. Also introduced near the end was the EXP > G conversion for quests after you hit max level. That helped greatly with making money as well. Epic ground mounts were 900g, and it was a huge deal to own one. You really wanted one too, since summoning stones weren't introduced until near the end and everyone had to actually run to the dungeon location.

Looking back on it, over the years Blizzard has introduced many quality of life changes that just makes doing what you want to do in the game that much easier. If you want to buy something, it's not a big deal to have a few hundred G nowadays. Since you don't have to spend hours farming just to buy an upgrade or even a vanity item like a pet, you can spend it actually playing the game for fun, rather than focusing on something that you have to do to get to the fun part.
85 Human Warrior
It took a long time for unbelievable amounts of noob-punishing enjoyment that were worth every second.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I think the thing that's missing is posted in the blue's post above. While many quality of life things exist now, you knew that the devs at the time were insanely hardcore about things because they themselves were hardcore raiders. You had devs being asked internally not to world first kill bosses, crazy stuff like that. It was a fun time.

Raiding during Classic was a monster PitA if you started late and it definitely wasn't a 2 night a week deal. I knew people that waited 2 months of no-miss raiding before they finally got the DKP to get their first epic item. It's funny, you never see many except the old timers talk about boss percentages with respect to wipes. You got the boss down another 5% and thought you were on fire. This was before extreme mechanics were put in and most beginning bosses were really tankyspanky so you only had to watch your feet and push buttons.

TBC corrected many of the problems Classic WoW always had and was the start of QoL. But nothing will ever compare to riding by someone in AQ40 gear or T3 or seeing a Grand Marshal/High Warlord and the yummy gear those guys earned. 7 day raid schedules or PvP schedules were the norm for them, for everyone else it was "LF Tank Scholo".

100 Orc Warrior
Imagine a world where everything was many times as obnoxious to do.

The only thing that's changed is the name of the factions and the pixels of the things you grind. That's always been the most memorable thing in wow, the grind.
100 Human Warrior
Vanilla wow was great... I didn't have an account up until BC was announced but before that I used to play on a friend's account whenever I visited him... Not that often...
What I remember from it is...
Finally arriving at the coast of darkshore after a long swim from teldrassil...
Walking around the beach of said coast, totally lost, amazed by how huge the map was...
Joining a guild with two other active members, one of them a lvl 40 who was the GM and used to brag about on his horse mount while I had to walk on my banana form (travel form)
And last but not least, waiting for hours to kill a giant fire mountain giant somewhere on the burning steppes...

The best part of it, and I think it's the same for every game is that I was totally lost and didn't have a clue about anything... Every orange lvl mob was a reason to freak out and run in fear, the first time I saw a silver dragon around the name plate of a furbolg in darkshore and realized his agrro range was huge was a great adventure....
I didn't know the map better than I know the back of my hand and I couldn't travel all around the world in a blink of an eye...
That goes for every game out there, it is much better when you play it without knowing what to expect, when everything is new....
I hope OP is livling the same thing on azeroth right now =)
90 Worgen Death Knight
I was actually chatting just last night with someone who had started playing shortly after Cataclysm launched. :)

I have lots of great memories of adventures that have spanned from when World of Warcraft first launched through to the present day. The game has evolved quite a bit over the years, and I’m especially thankful for the many quality of life upgrades that were made along the way.

Way back when, you could only get a mount starting at level 40, so it took quite a bit of time to travel around Azeroth on foot. Flight points were by far the fastest modes of transportation, but you could only use them if you first hoofed your way over and discovered each Flight Master individually. When you used flight points you also could only travel directly from one to the next. They didn’t automatically connect to your final destination like they do now. So you’d have to make your way to the first point, talk to the flight master, fly to the next point, talk to the flight master, and so on. Accessing dungeons or raids also required additional travel time, as you had to make your way to them manually, and there were no mass summons or personal flying mounts back in that era that could speed up the process, either. So assembling five people for a dungeon run involved quite a bit of waiting around while people slowly made their way to the particular dungeon. It often took even longer for raids to get up and running because you’d be waiting for 40 people instead of just 25 or 10.

Battlegrounds and Arenas (both of which I relish) also did not launch with the original game. The first two Battlegrounds areas, Alterac Valley and Warsong Gulch, went live on June 7th, 2005, and you had to physically travel out in the world to the particular Battleground portal for each location in order to queue for them. As there was no time or resource limit on those games, they could run very long, and indeed some Alterac Valley matches on the servers I played on at the time could span multiple hours or even, in some cases, multiple days. For Battlegrounds, specifically, there were no cross-realm Battlegroups originally, so you could only face-off against opponents from your individual realm that were on the opposite faction. Way back then, you also couldn’t step up and challenge another guild on your own faction to an all-out War Game in Warsong Gulch, either, because War Games didn’t even exist until shortly after Cataclysm launched.

Travel around Azeroth and assembling groups for anything from PvP to dungeon runs and raiding is much more efficient now than it was in classic times. I think it’s especially fantastic being able to freely roam around the world and do other activities while you wait. Then, once the group is assembled, you can teleport directly into battle with your comrades as well as your friends from other realms (thanks to the advent of Real ID’s cross-realm support). And that’s, well… awesome.

Well said sir, Pointing out everything that was terrible about WoW back then and how its better now.

There is 1 thing that was good about having to assemble your groups manually, and having to go to the instance yourself. There was an unspoken rule in place. Back then you didn't really worry about people ninjaing items and then laughing about it in chat and leaving the group, there was too much fear in place about getting blacklisted by the community and not getting into a new guild as Server Xfers weren't really a thing yet and forget faction changing, especially when you were a paladin.

Another thing was that Paladins didnt exist for the Horde, nor did Shamans for the Alliance. You had to conduct raids with either Bloodlust or Paladin Buffs, however as a raider for both sides, it felt a little bit even.

Raiding was alot different back then as well. You had resistance fights where you needed to grind resistance gear in order to reduce your damage taken by the boss. For example a few fights in AQ40 you needed to have a ton of Nature Resist and you basicly took no damage against a boss. But that meant grinding for WEEKS to grab a pair of cloth boots for your plate wearing warrior. Raiding was VERY different.
90 Troll Druid
Vanilla wow was great, especially the 40m raiding.
Although it was harder and required more effort, it's still better than Cata
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Vanilla raid bosses were not harder.
86 Night Elf Hunter
Briefly, a lot of things were annoying, which is not the same as hard. Reputation farming for weeks or months was never hard but it was godawful. Getting your 8 piece drop-only set wasn't hard; it was awful. Being a hunter or warlock or other class without legitimate CC meant a lot of sitting around, doing nothing.

However, the game felt epic. You got to know your community. You had some variety in weapon choices and even gear choices. Now it seems so homogenized.

*There were separate +healing and +spell damage items. Ditto for +frost, +shadow, and +fire. There was no +arcane because no one spec'd it.

*Paladins in cloth for better itemization. Ditto for hunters in leather well into TBC, as long as you had the mana. Best hunter helm until Sunwell was the blindfold off Illidan.

+Attack power being both ranged and melee, then ranged only (and Blizzard denying that it was ever +ranged), then back to both ranged and melee. It meant hunters did not benefit from Blessing of Might or Battle Shout.

*It was possible to be out of combat in a raid zone while a boss was engaged.

*BRD took hours. Many people couldn't get to the king because the constantly respawning mobs after the 7 dwarves could only be handled by a caster.

*AOE was capped at 10 creatures, but did full damage.

*Hunter traps were only out of combat. Feign Death brought the hunter out of combat. People did FD-->trap to retrap while in combat. There were years of debate about whether or not that was an exploit until, what, the end of TBC? Wrath? traps were made in combat too. A good hunter could trap 2 mobs at once. A very good hunter could trap 3. They all shared the same cooldown.

*Fire traps, arcane shot, and pet heal all got their boosts from +spell gear. The pet heal was channeled until a hunter soloed Azuregoes wearing mostly +healing gear and then just healed his pet. Then, it was normalized to a HoT almost immediately. (Mana/5 was a hunter stat, but I refused to get the AQ40 gear because I thought that +spell damage was a terrible use of itemization. I was right.)

*For some of Vanilla, having no upgraded bow ammo to go along with the VERY expensive engineer-crafted shells.

*So many types of potions and food. Healthstones, potions every 2 minutes, all the potions you wanted (none of this one battle, one defensive crap), consumables from Felwood Quests, demonic runes.

*Blessing of Wisdom was judged on the boss, so you had one pally to be in charge of that. Everyone did the "wand for mana guyz" as needed.

*PvP gear was legitimately useful in dungeons. There was no resilience yet, so you mostly had more stamina and less +int/mana.

*The default UI was miserable. It had 1 action bar visible at a time. You needed CT bars to have the top and side bars. No raid targets, either.

*Using detect magic to mark.

90 Draenei Shaman
It sucked. Everything took forever. Nothing made any damned sense; warrior gear had spirit on it. It was horribly imbalanced. If you got to 60 and wanted to hit up AQ you farmed those miserable quests for nature resistance, which was different than the fire resistance you farmed for MC, or the shadow/frost resistance for Naxx.

rep grinds were required and eternal. traveling was eternal. you'd be ganked in the weirdest places (like swamp of sorrows) no where near anything at max level by two bored rogues who just camped people.

Raids were incoherent. Unless you were an officer you didn't speak in vent because 40 people speaking was a bad idea. Gear was based on DKP Loot Councils opinions of you.

It sucked.
100 Night Elf Hunter
And let's not forget the endless time it took getting a PUG together only to finally get to the instance and have it fall apart.

Mid-BC start, Sunken Temple comprises most of my pre-modern WoW trauma. Class quests, Dragonscale LW quests, Ungoro/Feralas quests, Swamp of Sorrows, Tanaris quests. Send you back there multiple times. This multi-level maze that you could get lost in and have your party fall apart... even before you reached the instance entrance. And no-one on your home server wanted to run it, 'cos everyone was doing BC content. Then maybe you managed a group and no-one knew wot to do with the statues and trolls on the balconies or the fires. And where does this hole go?

What was nice tho', you could have 1 each of all the scrolls 'on' at once, as well as your 2 elixirs! (Yer, I read int scrolls when I wanted to get my wep skill up o.O ) Oh yes, and Wizard oil gave +Spell damage and affected paladin's holy damage from consecration. :D :D
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This is what vanilla was like for me:

It took me longer to get from 1-27 then it did to get from 1-85 now

I never had more than 1 gold

My gear was always broken, and I had no money to repair it

It took me forever to get somewhere, as I didn't have a mount

I was probably able to run an instance 2 or 3 times a day. It took us hours to do deadmines.

Everyone else just chilled in Ironforge and I would just inspect them and look at their gear.
85 Undead Priest
Vanilla wow was great... I didn't have an account up until BC was announced but before that I used to play on a friend's account whenever I visited him... Not that often...
What I remember from it is...
Finally arriving at the coast of darkshore after a long swim from teldrassil...
Walking around the beach of said coast, totally lost, amazed by how huge the map was...
Joining a guild with two other active members, one of them a lvl 40 who was the GM and used to brag about on his horse mount while I had to walk on my banana form (travel form)
And last but not least, waiting for hours to kill a giant fire mountain giant somewhere on the burning steppes...

The best part of it, and I think it's the same for every game is that I was totally lost and didn't have a clue about anything... Every orange lvl mob was a reason to freak out and run in fear, the first time I saw a silver dragon around the name plate of a furbolg in darkshore and realized his agrro range was huge was a great adventure....
I didn't know the map better than I know the back of my hand and I couldn't travel all around the world in a blink of an eye...
That goes for every game out there, it is much better when you play it without knowing what to expect, when everything is new....
I hope OP is livling the same thing on azeroth right now =)

Everything you said.

My level 40ish paladin along with my two guild mates that I had developed a close friendship with, a level 30ish hunter and a lvl 40ish rogue, decided to travel around the coastline of Kalimdor just for the heck of it. We knew it wasn't possible to actually walk along the coastline so we instead opted to travel through all the zones on the outskirts of Kalimdor and the stipulation was that we had to at least discover one friendly town or outpost in each zone. Oh yeah...we also opted to do this entirely on foot because I was the only one who had a mount.

I don't remember how long it took us...but we had lost track of time and by the time we had finally made it back to Darkshore, it was morning. One of my greatest memories in this game.

The only other experience that topped that was when my old Alliance guild(with our lvl 42 guild leader being the highest level at the time) attempted our first ever pvp raid on Crossroads. We were the first guild to do this on my old server(as far as I knew of) and it was both disastrous and hilarious. Having to run through Dustswallow Marsh as a predom level 20s group was a recipe for dinner for those lousy alligators and spiders. That the was the first time we saw tauren players that were seemingly HUGE. I still recall these two tauren warriors who charged our group. It was enough to cause half the people to panic and break off. Yes...seeing plate armored tauren warriors wielding giant axes for the first time was actually intimidating.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I remember leveling on Kul'Tiras and suddenly all the mobs completely disappeared! The npcs too! There were no mobs or npcs! Then the server crashed.
85 Undead Priest

Another thing was that Paladins didnt exist for the Horde, nor did Shamans for the Alliance. You had to conduct raids with either Bloodlust or Paladin Buffs, however as a raider for both sides, it felt a little bit even.

Shamans got lust in BC, when Alliance had shamans aswell.
86 Pandaren Warrior
Trying to get 40 people together for a raid, running said raid with no less than 7 or 8 people randomly going AFK, when half to two-thirds of them don't have vent, and a quarter of them have to bail because dinner's ready on only the third boss... Ah, those were the days.

Running through places like Stonetalon and Desolace on foot, spending a crapload for your level 40 mount, and my god, the level 60 mount was amazing. Especially if you were a paladin or warlock and had the epic quest chain that took tons of time and tons of cash to do.

Not to mention, we played our WoW uphill, both ways, in the snow, with no boots on, and our only weapons on us if we came upon a rogue dragon were our fingernails and our passion.

Oh vanilla, I miss you.
28 Orc Warlock
02/27/2012 05:56 PMPosted by Alisonprime
Pointing out everything that was terrible about WoW back then and how its better now.

Funny how I read it as him looking back on it fondly.
90 Goblin Rogue
Vanilla WoW was a mystical and magical place, where world pvp happened anywhere and at any time, poisons had charges, there were no flying mounts, hitting 40 was an achievement because you got a mount and a new grade of armor, there were no jewels and resist gear was required. AV would last days, The battle between southshore and terrin mill was endless....It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness. I miss vanilla wow :,( .
60 Gnome Mage
Our guild is doing the vanilla raiding now. Of course we hit a lot harder so most of the time we're doing the 40 with 20-25.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]