WoW helped me overcome drug addiction.

30 Troll Druid
02/27/2012 02:18 PMPosted by Dolphinteeth
You traded one drug for another. At least the past addiction had an ending. Enjoy your new curse.

As I said earlier, I am not addicted to WoW. Although the game can be addicting at times, I would never turn down a real-life priority in order to play. Thanks for trying to shut me down, I bet you're a really happy person deep down.
:)

Huh? Well, I am pretty happy. And no, I'm not trying to shut ya down, it just lowers my opinion of the human race when I see weak people grasping for crutches to get by. Life isn't hard, and you need to develop mental fortitude and discipline on your own.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
-slow clap-

That's an awesome story man. Even though I don't know you, I'm proud of you for doing that.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman
02/27/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Barknuts

As I said earlier, I am not addicted to WoW. Although the game can be addicting at times, I would never turn down a real-life priority in order to play. Thanks for trying to shut me down, I bet you're a really happy person deep down.

Huh? Well, I am pretty happy. And no, I'm not trying to shut ya down, it just lowers my opinion of the human race when I see weak people grasping for crutches to get by.

Different strokes for different folks. We all come from different walks of life and need to use different tools to help us succeed.

Life isn't hard, and you need to develop mental fortitude and discipline on your own.

Your life may not have been hard, but mine certainly has been. I agree I made it more difficult for myself by turning to drugs rather than academics or extra-curricular activities, but before that I am not sure I had any control over how easy or difficult my life was.

My life isn't hard anymore, that's the whole point of this thread.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
02/27/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Celista
I don't understand why some people have children. If you're not going to treat them right, then why bother? There are other options than raising a child you don't want.

I've been asking myself that question for a while now.

It's one of the reasons I probably won't ever have kids. Not that I wouldn't treat them right, but I just don't particularly like children, and I'm far too focused on my own life with my fiancé at the moment to deal with that level of responsibility. Besides, my three cats basically add up to one child. >.>
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
WoW is a good escape for me. I have stress issues and I always end up making ridiculous scenarios in my head. WoW is one of those things that helps me to focus on something other than my brain going 100 mph.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman
If you aren't completely full of it like I think you are. There is this.
Just an FYI this first 3 months are the hardest and after that it never gets any easier. You will always want to relapse. I went with more of focused control rather than saying none at all. I've been on track for 7 years now.

Sorry, I missed this.

But I guess you missed this in the OP:
Staying drug-free will of course be a lifelong struggle for me

The ride's obviously not over yet.

EDIT: Typos.
Edited by Dolphinteeth on 2/27/2012 2:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/27/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Barknuts

Huh? Well, I am pretty happy. And no, I'm not trying to shut ya down, it just lowers my opinion of the human race when I see weak people grasping for crutches to get by. Life isn't hard, and you need to develop mental fortitude and discipline on your own.

Wow, you're so smart.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
02/27/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Celista
i really liked the part, "he came home with a new mortorcycle,he beat me too"thats classic>

My grandparents gave me a 40k college tuition fund and my physically abusive father spent it on a Mercedes, stuff like this happens more often than you realize.

I worked 40+ hours a week during college to pay for tuition and rent.

Indeed, it does happen. My grandparents gave my parents money to take care of a medical condition I had that needed to be corrected ASAP. They spent it on a newer vehicle with a TV and all the extras in it. Thanks, Mom!

02/27/2012 02:41 PMPosted by Jimindar
I got a great job and last week I bought a car with the money I've been saving.

How does one walk into a 'great job' while in recovery from drug addiction and homelessness and with apparently disrupted or no formal education and a criminal record? [Ed: Particularly in this economic climate]

My brother (last I heard) has a decent job, above minimum wage, enviable hours. He has a warrant out for his arrest, charges are drug related (among other things, I'm sure). Some people like to give others the benefit of the doubt.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Yeah..... Im done with this.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
good job on this positive life change, i hope you make it far in life. Live long and prosper.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Shaman
02/27/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Reveries

Thanks for contributing!
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
good job sir, at overcoming your addiction! I understand how hard it can be, you have my full support as well as many others. /hug
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Congrats on your recovery and new life. Ignore the trolls.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
i congratulate you on two things:
1. turning your life around, good on you :)
and 2. posting something on the forums that isnt complaining
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Good for you.

And don't worry about WOW being an addiction. I quit drinking about 5 years ago and took up viedo games. Now I have a 6 pack of diet coke and WOW jones. I am much better off for it.

Like you a friend told me if I needed something to keep my mind busy while I fought through the wanting of booze, WOW was it.

Whatever works.....use it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Congrats! I can't even imagine the struggle and the pain you've had to endure to get to where you are today. Best of luck to you and your new life!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
02/27/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Reveries

Give up cause you can't win an argument? Not the point of it anyways. He won a hard battle

On-topic: I feel for ya OP I'm going through a emotional state right now and by all means isn't easy, some states can last years...which in my experience it's true so...I know I'll be ok.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]