WoW helped me overcome drug addiction.

(Locked)

2 Tauren Hunter
Grats op. the negative people obviously haven't had any sort of real trials to go through in life. I guess that's what happens on video game forums. Immature people do immature things.

Some people are trying to discredit the op because they think he is lying. If he was lying you will never know and never get validation. If he is telling the truth and wasn't as strong of a person as he sounds you could be affecting a person trying to improve his life in a negative way. That IMO makes you worth less than dirt.

Thumbs up op.
90 Human Warlock
awesome job man, and thank you for sharing this story. im no stranger to addiction and when i think of all the money ive wasted away on useless substances, it would have been much better spent on a kick !@# gaming rig lol! seriouly though, good on you keep up the good work!

36 Blood Elf Priest
02/27/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Sandse
While I may not totally believe the melodramatic childhood, good for you for quitting.

There is nothing melodramatic about abuse to a child or an adult. It is not a laughing matter. It can be traumatizing and most people who were abused as children often grow up to be adults who get hooked on drugs and crime. Most of them suffer from sociological problems, which they use drugs to cope with the problems and anxiety.

Wow I am disgusted by some of these hateful replies. Someone has got their life back on track. Good for them. Apparently some of you peoples, so called perfect worlds is one where no one has problems.
Edited by Mâgeyoulook on 2/27/2012 5:03 PM PST
90 Worgen Druid

oh boy. if you find that story hard to believe i'd love to tell you about my brother's story; by your standards it couldn't have happened. haha, you need to get out more if you think this story is so out there (hey check it out i can be a total idiot too)

@people saying he traded one addiction for another:
the whole "quit right now and prove you're not addicted" is probably the dumbest argument ever, given the fact that this game is a hobby; go up to someone who loves drawing or loves knitting or loves hiking and be like STOP RIGHT NOW AND PROVE YOU'RE NOT ADDICTED TO IT and they'll look at you like you're a complete moron.

because you are.

the fact that he's been able to turn his life around WHILE playing this game is something an addict could not do; in fact, the opposite would happen.

and even if this story is, for some reason, not true at all, we can atleast take it for what it is: an inspirational story that a wow player shared with his fellow gamers.

good job op, keep it up :>

imo your argument that wow is like knitting is the dumbest argument ever. tell people wow and knitting are anywhere near in the same category and theyll look at you like youre a complete moron. cause you are.

hobbies are hobbies bro
100 Night Elf Hunter

imo your argument that wow is like knitting is the dumbest argument ever. tell people wow and knitting are anywhere near in the same category and theyll look at you like youre a complete moron. cause you are.

hobbies are hobbies bro

Truth. I play Wow. I also knit. Sometimes I get to do both as I wait for the raid to start :)

Anyway, thanks for the post, Dolphinteeth. It was truly inspirational and I'm glad you've gotten your life going in the direction you want it to go. May you go on to great and wondrous things.

*High five*
85 Human Warrior
cool
90 Gnome Warrior
A MAJOR /Gnomefist for you, Dolphinteeth. Addiction is something that is SO tremendously difficult to overcome and to see that you're on your way to a steady recovery does my heart good.

As a child of 12 step programs myself, I know how damaging addiction can be not only to ourselves, but our families.

May you find the Serenity to accept the things you cannot change,
The Courage to change the things you can,
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

I will be praying for you!
1 Orc Shaman
I came back expecting the thread to be devoured by trolls, it's really nice to see people offering support and encouragement. It makes me so happy that I could brighten a few people's days by sharing my story.

I thank you all!
:)
1 Orc Shaman
A MAJOR /Gnomefist for you, Dolphinteeth. Addiction is something that is SO tremendously difficult to overcome and to see that you're on your way to a steady recovery does my heart good.

As a child of 12 step programs myself, I know how damaging addiction can be not only to ourselves, but our families.

May you find the Serenity to accept the things you cannot change,
The Courage to change the things you can,
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

I will be praying for you!

Thanks for your kind words.

Just for today.
90 Night Elf Hunter
And they say video games are bad.

/target OP
/cheer
100 Human Paladin
Before my 7-free-days run out tomorrow and I can no longer post, I just liked your post and I want to tell you that I am very happy that your life is now in a better place.
1 Orc Shaman
02/27/2012 10:07 PMPosted by Goldbrand
Before my 7-free-days run out tomorrow and I can no longer post, I just liked your post and I want to tell you that I am very happy that your life is now in a better place.
Well, thank you for taking time out of your last few days to wish me well.

Good luck to you, sir.
100 Human Paladin
Well, thank you for taking time out of your last few days to wish me well.

Good luck to you, sir.

I may see you in a galaxy far far away (shameless plug for Star Wars: The Old Republic). But good luck in your life. Stay strong, and based on the number of decent replies in this thread, many people are rooting for you.
Edited by Goldbrand on 2/28/2012 1:34 AM PST
85 Night Elf Priest
Aww yeah!
85 Night Elf Rogue
Great job OP, really glad you found something that helped you get your life on track. Sorry for some of the trolling here, thanks for having the balls to post your story and remind people that we're all real here. I hope in some way your post gives just a little bit of hope to anyone who struggled with the things you did.
Edited by Valteris on 2/28/2012 3:20 AM PST
85 Troll Hunter
Wow how sad is it that others feel the need to try and bring the OP down by saying things like "lol, how classic" and "you traded one addiction for another" seriously? What kind of satisfaction do people like this get from bringing someone down for no reason? I'd rather be addicted to a video game than !@#$%^ or -*!@. I'm proud of you OP that you were able to recover and I wish you the best. This game has also helped me immensely.

Uhm...why is hero in and me th censored? lol
Edited by Sunflowerz on 2/28/2012 7:37 AM PST
90 Draenei Shaman
I say good job to you for losing such a habit. This game helped me through my divorse. I have alot of friends here and they helped me keep a positive outlook on things when it seemed there wasnt one.
1 Orc Shaman
02/28/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Venetia
I say good job to you for losing such a habit. This game helped me through my divorse. I have alot of friends here and they helped me keep a positive outlook on things when it seemed there wasnt one.

Personally, I think it's really important to have something to channel your energy into other than your current problems (addiction, anxiety, divorce, etc.) as long as you're not ignoring them. For some people it's working out or meditating, for me it's WoW.

A lot of the time we dwell on our issues and it ends up making them worse or harder to deal with. For me, WoW provides valuable "quiet time" in which I can reflect on any problems I am having and how I might be able deal with them. Also, it helps me escape the anxiety I feel when my mind is moving "too fast" and I start to get into panic mode.

As I said, I think WoW is a great outlet, as long as we are not using it to ignore our problems.
Edited by Dolphinteeth on 2/28/2012 12:28 PM PST
90 Night Elf Priest
I got a great job and last week I bought my first car with the money I've been saving.

I am enrolling in community college for the coming semester in hopes of earning a degree in Human Services. My goal is to eventually attend university and become a licensed Psychologist.

This is great. Thank you for sharing this with us it's really inspiring.

Best of luck to you in college. :)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]