WoW Training Grounds. Youll never be the same

90 Draenei Death Knight
This is an amazing idea, it needs to happen.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
I totally and completely agree with this idea, and I would use it myself.

Because I can read and read and read on ElitistJerks or what-have-you other site all day long, and still not be able to put into practise what I've read there.

I levelled this character through tanking randoms (Horde-side, where his name was Heraqawa). It was fun, and I learned a fair bit, and I got my ego stroked some too ('Nice tanking, Random-Finder-person!') And I also picked up a lot of tips from people levelling their alts through Random Finder. It made me a better tank.

But it didn't teach me everything, I still had to go and read, and practise in heroics. And then I outgeared heroics, and despite being able to queue for heroics all day and night, I was so over-geared for them that I could screw up every single element of everything, and still faceroll.

So I went raiding. I'm now 8/8 DS Normal (10), and my guild is about to move into Heroics. And I still want to be better. Now where do I go to practise? HoT Heroics are free VP at 30 minutes per, and I can out-DPS the DPSers and survive a whole boss fight with a DCed healer (I'll grant that it had me sweating, but that's practise). LFR requires more patience in dealing with the trolls than actual skill, but I'll grant is a very nice place to get offkit pieces. My guild 9-manned the first six bosses of DS tonight. In there, three bosses still pose a challenge for me.
--Hagara, I can never quite seem to move out of Focused Assault before dropping to about 100k HP, and I feel that's way too low and a drain on healer mana. Why can't I move faster?
--Spine of Deathwing, where I'm usually on Amalgamation. My rotation on the Corrupted Bloods could be a lot better, especially in terms of picking them up when they spawn (I need serious add-tank practise).
--Madness of Deathwing, where my cooldown rotation could use work, and where I tend to die on the second set of Elementium Terrors because I'm fresh out of CDs to blow.

I'd LOVE a Training Grounds where I could practise these things in a structured environment (set goals), instanced, party-of-one-plus-NPCs (not going to be mocked if you screw up, worst barrier to trying new things in LFR), and best of all infinitely repeatable (I don't get locked, locks on practise areas make your tank cry).

Tanking is hard, but I love it. I want to be better. Please let me get better, Blizzard?

And...er, while we're at it, give me my Indomitable Pride!

There have to be other people like me out there, surely? And there have to be people out there who are sent to EJ who are struggling to make sense of what they read there, but who really want to learn.

EDIT: I busted my italics, so I fixeded them!
Edited by Ulthnar on 3/7/2012 10:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

Challenges like Dragonwrath, or Benediction are perfect ways to get a player to be the best they can be.

Except they weren't unless you meant it showed you should have been a mage or had a snowflake non-raid spec if you weren't since it early warlocks doing Dragonwrath did it with specialized specs and tactics.

None of this being applicable to a raid environment... which was your goal of training people to be better at group play, not solo play for contrived, unique encounters.

I understadn dragonwrath quest line was a bit ridics... but that was also a legendary quest line intended for the best of the best...

However learning to survive those fights without a healer available or whatever was great training.. not quite what id imagine, but a good little example.. but i imagine those to be more like what the scenarios will be.

Training really would only take place in 1 room, like a TOC arena.. not much more then that.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Death Knight
02/27/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Zentrox
I SUPPORT THIS 100%
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm saying this agian coz people are dumb enough to blindly support OP

''People will just simply read through the website to ''beat'' that ''training ground'', much less when there are rewards like mounts/pets.
This is exactly what people do to beat a raid in case you haven't noticed.

You can't make people totally an equal, some people may take longer to learn while some take shorter, face it.''
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's a good idea I can hear you, however, in PvP this would completely suck! When you do PvP and go against someone that doesn't know their class you feel good because you know you'll win...especially in Arena, I go against a LOT of Holy Pally's, however, a lot don't know their class like they should, so I have the edge, because I know every step that I see people that don't know their class (Holy Paladin), and I see 5 different things they could of done to survive, but they didn't use it and I did. It gives me the edge when people of the same class don't know all the mechanics, so even though I'm not pro or anything, I'll win some for once in Arena.

Implementing this, would give EVERYONE the ability to learn the class (which is good don't get my wrong), instead of learning there class on their own, and if they don't know it, you have the edge on them if your versing the same class in PvP. Mainly it would make PvP twice as hard than it already is, which yes sounds good, but in the long run, would suck, because you would get LONGER battles, and if for whatever reason you were matched with the worst set of players possible, and your rivals are the best (because of this WoW Training grounds), then instead of losing badly, it would be more of the fact that you got annihilated into the next year.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
It's a good idea I can hear you, however, in PvP this would completely suck! When you do PvP and go against someone that doesn't know their class you feel good because you know you'll win...especially in Arena, I go against a LOT of Holy Pally's, however, a lot don't know their class like they should, so I have the edge, because I know every step that I see people that don't know their class (Holy Paladin), and I see 5 different things they could of done to survive, but they didn't use it and I did. It gives me the edge when people of the same class don't know all the mechanics, so even though I'm not pro or anything, I'll win some for once in Arena.

Implementing this, would give EVERYONE the ability to learn the class (which is good don't get my wrong), instead of learning there class on their own, and if they don't know it, you have the edge on them if your versing the same class in PvP. Mainly it would make PvP twice as hard than it already is, which yes sounds good, but in the long run, would suck, because you would get LONGER battles, and if for whatever reason you were matched with the worst set of players possible, and your rivals are the best (because of this WoW Training grounds), then instead of losing badly, it would be more of the fact that you got annihilated into the next year.

So you prefer to prove yourself against players that do not know how to play? ;)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

So you prefer to prove yourself against players that do not know how to play? ;)

If your only wins in PvP are against people who can only beat scripted training bots, then aren't you doing about the same thing? Insert clever wink emoticon.

Most classes these days are no longer rotational and require at least some level of effort and thinking/understanding to play. A scripted bot won't teach you how to think. A scripted bot that awards nerdpoints won't teach you how to think.
Edited by Alleyne on 3/18/2012 6:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I SUPPORT THIS 100%

This thread in a nutshell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AopQB01y4zI
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
02/29/2012 02:09 PMPosted by Picoglad
I'm blinded by the sheer brilliance of this idea!

No that's probably the tentacle all over your shroud of the faceless.
Reply Quote
76 Goblin Rogue
03/04/2012 02:12 AMPosted by Alleyne
That a player has to go to resources outside the game, and more importantly resources from outside of the game manufacturer in order to be competent at playing their characters has always been counter intuitive.

Starcraft 2 doesn't tell you what a 1-1-1 is in the game. It doesn't teach you how to stutterstep micro in the game. It doesn't tell you how to 3 gate Robo. Yet, no one's making an entitled forum post demanding Blizzard make endless tutorial maps to teach people how to do this in Starcraft 2 because these resources are available online in the huge SC2 community.

So why is this different for WoW?

your comparing a single player game to an MMO. what you do in SC2 doesnt affect other players like WoW does. if you dont wanna do the training grounds then dont. Who are you to say how people should learn? People learn in different ways. Watching a video is not the best way for everyone to learn. If you are so damn good why are you not done with heroic DS?
Reply Quote
80 Goblin Mage
This would be very cool.

Also what is the deal with everything being 'entitled' these days? Any time someone makes any kind of post with an idea, or a request or a suggestion, or anything really it seems somebody comes out and calls it entitled.

Buzzwords like that get under my skin. Save the stupidtalk for the politicians please.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Brilliant!!!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I would LOVE this. Sometimes I just don't have the answers when my friend need help with their DPS or performance. I think this would be the best thing implemented into WoW...ever. I don't think any idea about WoW would make me as happy as this one. I would love so much, to see everyone I play with doing an overall "good job" at their class and role. It would kill mountains of frustration for me and many others.

Everyone wants to do a good job, some people just don't have the means or knowledge to do so. Some have too big of an ego to accept help, some just don't have any knowledgeable friends willing to help them. This would be a great way to point people in the direction of success.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Why is this thread not still going?! This would be a MUCH better benchmark to weigh people against than something as dumb as item level. I hate having to ask what item level people are because I know that there will always be bad players in good gear and good players in bad gear. Imagine that the training grounds put you into standardized gear (much like the challenge mode dungeons) and you have to use your wits as a rogue/warlock/mage/whatever to survive and complete the challenge. This should really become a thing and I hope that blizzard reads this post eventually and tries to implement it into the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]