WoW Training Grounds. Youll never be the same

100 Human Warrior
This sounds like a good idea.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
02/27/2012 07:48 PMPosted by Sophex

There is no healing rotation, just different situations.

In reference to my disc priest, and rotating major CD's, and making sure i get my rapture mana back every 12 seconds from my bubble. Guess I misused the term rotation for this.

Perhaps a full rotation is a better way to describe what I meant.

Most healers have certain buffs they want active for mana regen and such.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
The WoW training grounds is a max-level training ground with scripted training for each class and each of their specs.

Players at max level (cause lets face it, you can just button smash your way pre-max-level) will be able to visit the training grounds in any major city to enter an arena with a trainer.

With 5 different difficulties (Easy, Normal, Hard, Hardcore, Master) players will be tested in an arena against scripted NPCs.

Each difficulty will take you through 10-15 different tests, beginning with simple assignments such as a basic rotation to your spells, all the way up to staying out of fire, dodging falling objects, while still attempting to kill a series of npcs on a timer.

DPS would be put through enrage timer tests, where only after executing a rotation to a raid standard would grant victory.

Healers would be put through a benediction style test, at first simply healing an npc taking some minor damage from a dot, all the way up to keeping 4 other people alive while staying out of fire and dodging falling objects.

With my understand that tanks are being adjusted to be more like DKs, tanks would be put through survival tests.. being forced to use abilities (such as Death Strike) at the proper times to stay alive long enough to finish the event.

Awarding achievements, transmog gear, mounts and pets as rewards would be enough incentive for players to want to experience the content, and give new players a way to learn their characters.

Let's be honest with ourselves... learning while leveling doesn't work. You button smash and win.. and if you die, oh well, get back to your body, keep smashing and you'll win that time. It only matters when your max level and the encounters are difficult... Players have no idea how to play their class, and have no way of learning...

No one wants to read Elitist Jerks... and new players have no idea it exists. And lets face it, reading is no where as good as experiencing.

It's time blizzard develop the WoW training grounds.. this would work... and scripting events as such wouldn't be so bad... you are talking about 30 specs, with most events being simple tasks. First 3-6 stages would be just an NPC standing there while players went from learning what each spell does to how to use in a rotation... so the amount of encounters (while still a lot) would not be a crazy amount that isn't doable.

Dooo it! :)

Sadly this is the only solution for players to learn such things. Blizzard will never make the pre 85 content more difficult (and let's face it, pretty much anything outside of heroic raiding is a snoozefest and those are being nerfed to the ground too).

I'd personally prefer if they simply tuned the content properly from 1 to 85 so that it increases in difficulty instead of players learning to pull entire dungeons in 1 pull in low level 5 mans and not having a chance in the world at failing.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Training grounds cannot train a healer to heal. There is way too many variables.

Did a DPS not move in time?
Did the tank time his CD wrong?
Did the other healer blow their CD's to save the tank?
Did a DPS blow their CD's and start DPS'ing before the tank pulls?

In fight #!, 3 of the DPS took a million damage.

In fight #2 they took 2 million.

In fight #3 they took 500k.

In each fight you would heal them differently.

Obviously the OP has the basic idea.

I don't disapprove of this but the possible consequence of "WOW IS TOO EASY NOW!!!" I know it still happens but that could make it worse. That's pretty much it.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
02/27/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Brans
No one wants to read Elitist Jerks... and new players have no idea it exists. And lets face it, reading is no where as good as experiencing.

So regardless of the fact all the resources are readily available, you want Blizzard to take time away from developing new content to work on this.

This is sad.

So when something could be put in-game to HELP people, you dislike it because there are other places not in-game that they can learn it.

This is sad.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
This must be seen!
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Priest
I likey... No more qq threads about how people suck!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
Another good idea:

Because people get so mixed up on stats sometimes, add in a lowbie quest where you get a piece of gear with your spec's main stats on it.

Example:

Priest's Robe

+1 Stam
+1 Intell
+1 Spirit
Increases Haste by 1

Would be hard for druids though :/ Imagine getting a piece of leather that had 1 agility, dodge, intel, spirit, stan, and haste on it. utter confusion, but blizzz is smart and would know what to do.

Maybe there could be two pieces

Feral Druid's Robes

+1 Stam
+1 Agility
Increases Crit by 1
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
So regardless of the fact all the resources are readily available, you want Blizzard to take time away from developing new content to work on this.

This is sad.

The resources are not available... there is nothing in the game that teaches you why a specific talent is PVP or PVE... Where do you learn a rotation?

Tons of fighting games (single player mostly) come with a training grounds, or missions that are nothing but a tutorial.. the only difference is, we don't begin with our full arsenal.. so either, training happens after learning every spell, and the rotation changes, or you have the option at max-level to go train and learn your class.

Heck.. you could even make a pre-made on the PTR, go into training and see if you like him max level.. will tell you whether or not you should roll the class and try.

This is a win-win.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Anyone else have some input on this? I think this is really needed in the game, and I don't see why they can't add it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/29/2012 05:43 AMPosted by Shorthealed
Anyone else have some input on this? I think this is really needed in the game, and I don't see why they can't add it.

For a DPS and Tank, it's really possible to add, and probably insanely useful, especially if you want to try a new spec for the first time. For a healer, it would be able to let you get the basics, but breaking that routine when something goes wrong is up to you, but even that, just having the basics of how your healer works is a lot better than walking into your first heroic being pretty clueless.

It's a really good idea. It'll never be perfect, but it'll give you some practice... It'll also help people who are already good at their spec work different spots where they can get better.
Reply Quote
13 Worgen Druid
Not a new idea, but desperately needed. WoW currently does a terrible job of teaching players how to play.

A few other ideas building on it:

- Integrate basic raid combat skills into the training grounds. Step out of the fire, break LoS when needed, let debuff stacks drop, dodge the boss' charge, etc. For tanks, this would also include boss positioning and add catching; for DPS, some kiting and burning; for Healers, dispelling. (plus anything I forgot :)

- Add a daily quest to get a good score in the training room. But don't limit using the training room to just once per day; let players train as much as they want.

- Add getting a reasonable score in the training room, in a given role, as a requirement to queue for Heroics/LFR as that role. It should take all of 5 minutes for an already adequate player to qualify, and the training time less adequate players will need to spend will better prepare them for the content, saving them, and everyone they group with, a lot of frustration.

- Add somewhere easily accessible a primer of the basics of playing the character's spec. It might be in a bookshelf close to where players enter the training room, it might be in a new help session in the UI, or anywhere else the player has easy access to it. Explain basic things like basic rotations for the character's spec, how his spec's unique resource works, buffs/procs to look for, situations where each skill becomes useful, common raid challenges and situations, etc. Even better if everything taught could actually be measured in at least one of the training regimes, so the player can know he actually learned it all.

- Add a scoring system for bosses, based on how many clear errors the player did. Include fight-specific mechanics in the scoring; a max score would be achieved by always doing whatever the fight required and never taking a single point of avoidable damage. Also, tell the player what his failing where.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Rogue
Do basically, you want the Gilinas portion of the rogue dagger quest for every class? That quest portion was a good chance to use all rogue skills to beat a difficult foe. (At least a little difficult in pvp gear.)

"Here, solo with 1.9m hp elite" "Uh.. ok."
Reply Quote
86 Pandaren Shaman
They made similar tutorials in some of the starting areas, but those only teach you how to use your first new skill. Having a raid mechanic/rotation tutorial is a great idea.

I can understand the resource issue. Business-wise it makes little sense to put resources into lessons that players can already learn through other means. It also supports the ideology of needing perfect, smooth, runs rather than playing through the raid and learning using experimentation.

I think this is a great idea, but it's up to Blizz to decide if they want to take the game in that direction.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
I would live in there for a good month. Would love to see this!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
02/27/2012 07:11 PMPosted by Shorthealed
The WoW training grounds is a max-level training ground with scripted training for each class and each of their specs.

We've discussed a similar idea in the past, and it might be possible to use the technology we're using to build out the Scenarios coming in Mists to make something like this happen at some point in the future. Maybe!

It would be cool.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Something like this would be probably the greatest addition to the game ever. It's kinda odd that as the level cap has risen and every class and spec has more and more abilities at it's disposal, levelling has gotten so much easier. 1-60 back in Vanilla I felt I learned a great deal about how to play my class in game. Quests were harder and you soon learned you had to use abilities correctly and at opportune moments to get through some of them.

Now, it's faceroll to 85. Nothing is challenging enough to make you think about the tools you have. For the most part it's hit a couple dps abilites in any random order, loot and move on.

The other thing I would love to see is some in game notice, maybe a book handed to you by a class trainer directing players to the class forums here. Yes, its a bit immersion breaking, but so many people have no idea there are great player written guides for every class and spec available.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
02/29/2012 12:39 PMPosted by Daxxarri

We've discussed a similar idea in the past, and it might be possible to use the technology we're using to build out the Scenarios coming in Mists to make something like this happen at some point in the future. Maybe!

It would be cool.

BOOM! Scenarios confirmed. I was really worried that they would be a feature that would get cancelled. This feature must be maintained especially for this exact reason: it allows you to introduce group quests (or solo in the above example) very quickly by reusing zones/models and mechanics. *high-five*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]