WoW Training Grounds. Youll never be the same

85 Blood Elf Priest
02/29/2012 12:39 PMPosted by Daxxarri
The WoW training grounds is a max-level training ground with scripted training for each class and each of their specs.

We've discussed a similar idea in the past, and it might be possible to use the technology we're using to build out the Scenarios coming in Mists to make something like this happen at some point in the future. Maybe!

It would be cool.

It's more than cool.

It's necessary.

Required, I would even say. No one is going to ever learn to play their class properly in the game using the game as their resource unless something to this effect is implemented.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The WoW training grounds is a max-level training ground with scripted training for each class and each of their specs.

We've discussed a similar idea in the past, and it might be possible to use the technology we're using to build out the Scenarios coming in Mists to make something like this happen at some point in the future. Maybe!

It would be cool.

I'd hope it comes to be more Definitively than Maybe.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
i had an idea like this in wotlk, so i support the op's idea 100%. I think it needs to happen, hope it happens, make it happen bliz.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

It would be cool.

Please don't let an idea like this sit on the drawing table for 2 years before it is SERIOUSLY discussed. This is a wonderful idea which could help newbs and vets alike!
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Another good idea:

Because people get so mixed up on stats sometimes, add in a lowbie quest where you get a piece of gear with your spec's main stats on it.

Example:

Priest's Robe

+1 Stam
+1 Intell
+1 Spirit
Increases Haste by 1

Would be hard for druids though :/ Imagine getting a piece of leather that had 1 agility, dodge, intel, spirit, stan, and haste on it. utter confusion, but blizzz is smart and would know what to do.

In Cataclysm, they are able to detect your class in quest rewards (you've seen this when doing similar quests but getting the exact white piece of gear you need). There aren't a lot of these but they can do it. With MoP, they'll have the ability to detect specialization. This would allow them to do this feature. I also think they could do it through tutorials tips in-game. I haven't had these on in a long time (and they were meh when I did start) but I have heard they have improved drastically.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
This may be the single best suggestion that I've ever seen in the forums! Absolutely brilliant.

Besides helping new players, it might really help players returning after a break, unsure how their class works now.
Reply Quote
13 Worgen Warrior
Ever since Vanilla, I have always wanted to do something like this, but in a dungeon setting. Give me a tank that I can heal or dps for, or give me a healer that I can tank for...and let me solo a dungeon where I have to actually work and think about each pull and how to use cc, etc. Sure, you can solo content after you've outgeared it, but it would be much more fun to do it when you're level appropriate and can actually benefit from the experience and loot.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Great idea!

Though for the tank one I feel that perhaps it should be more about aggro-keeping.

Perhaps you are in a 5 man group with NPC heals and DPS. Maybe make it so the healer will only heal you? Mobs will come out and obviously you have to keep them off the DPS and healer and at the end there is a boss that has AoE and stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Training grounds will not work in the same way tutorial levels in games do not work.

People hate them and would rather skip them. Consider the forced tutorial levels in RTS games like in Starcraft or Warcraft where the first few levels you build a farm/supply depot and 4 marines and you're not allowed to access any of the advanced units.

If you've ever played Starcraft or Warcraft, why do you need to do this level again? Why are you forced to re-earn every advanced unit? So you make it optional.

But if it's optional, it becomes Elitist Jerks and the Dunning-Kruger kicks in. Are you going to admit you're so bad that you need a tutorial on how to play a video game in a video game especially one you're paying for?
Edited by Shayleah on 2/29/2012 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have to say, this is one of the better ideas I've seen on this forum. I think we can all agree that this game doesn't have enough options to teach people how to play effectively in group settings. Plus, depending on its implementation, it could be a lot of fun.

I feel like the Molten Front was the beginning of something like this. It didn't really teach you much about how to play your class, but the avoidable/interruptable enemy attacks and environmental hazards were a great way to teach the basics of raid awareness and boss mechanics. I hope quests can be more like that in the future.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
This would be really amazing. I think I could benefit from it, and I don't think I'm a bad player.

However, there's one big downside:
If there's only a single, set way of ever doing anything, only one item/glyph/spell rotation/whathaveyou that always works, then why are you even playing? Wouldn't a robot do better?

I think itd be cool to have quests similar to some of the rogue quests for the epic dagger. (I'm thinking in particular of the area where you have to get past all those guys without being noticed) Where its designed to test how well you play your class at its essence, possibly reviewing some spells and good situations to use them in first, but ultimately, something to encourage creative and individual solutions.

Honestly, more class quests, or even epics for each class, would kinda be able to help with that, rather then a set training ground.
Reply Quote
2 Human Paladin
it wouldn't need to necessarily be maxed lvl only, it could be once you hat lvl 10 and get your core abilities. My reasoning? With the challenge mode dungeons they will be doing in MoP they have the know how to equalize gear/stats, they could do the same for this and thus players could have the same training experience no matter what gear lvl they are at. This way fresh 90's could learn with the same difficulty lvl as H t16 geared players, and thus lower lvl players would be able to experience the same, but maybe missing a couple abilities that may or may not let them complete the training.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Rogue
Do basically, you want the Gilinas portion of the rogue dagger quest for every class? That quest portion was a good chance to use all rogue skills to beat a difficult foe. (At least a little difficult in pvp gear.)

"Here, solo with 1.9m hp elite" "Uh.. ok."

This is exactly what I thought of too after recently doing that those quests. Class specific scenario quests/challenges would be amazing. The Gilneas portion of the fangs of the father chain was probably the most fun I've had in a long time in this game XD
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
02/29/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Shayleah
Training grounds will not work in the same way tutorial levels in games do not work.

Brilliant idea, OP. As far as it not working, if you made it fun - offered an achievement(s), vanity item, etc. many would go for it. With account wide achievements you could add in for those who complete the training grounds for each role. Much like the expected hardmodes coming, you could have the TGs on timers so essentially you could compete against yourself.

If executed well, this could be a great deal of fun and learning in one giant bundle.
Reply Quote
2 Human Paladin
@ Shòót

It's OK, you were not the first person to post an idea like this, there have been some before you, I may have posted an idea similar to this on one of my characters a year ago, but I ain't calling foul. Just hoping it goes through. This person isn't going to be given credit for suggesting something, the community as a whole would.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Hunter
/support
Seen variations of the same around and I think it's a solid idea.

The side-effect would be that if Blizzard set dps challenge events that taught, they'd have to give up what they think a proper rotation for that spec is. That would remove a lot of their secrecy and put responsibility on them, so I'm not sure if they'd do it. They seem content to let the theory crafters figure it all out.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I still support this and am glad that Blizzard has seen it. I just hope it IS implemented instead of it just being something to talk about.

/sign again.
Reply Quote
68 Worgen Death Knight
This would be really amazing. I think I could benefit from it, and I don't think I'm a bad player.

However, there's one big downside:
If there's only a single, set way of ever doing anything, only one item/glyph/spell rotation/whathaveyou that always works, then why are you even playing? Wouldn't a robot do better?

Are you familiar with Raids at all?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]