Sound is intermittent after new patch

90 Human Rogue
So i DL'd new patch and now for some reason my WOW sounds are intermittent. I hear the music and some ambiance. but the actual sounds of my character will either sometimes play or not. don't knwo what to do. I did a repaid on WOW and it worked for about 2-3 minutes before no sound again.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I have actually noticed this since 4.3.2. It's especially noticetable on my druid tank in well of eternity, on Mannoroth. When I start AOE tanking the adds near the end, the NPC speeches will get cut off mid-word.

I'm running with the maximum number of sound channels, and also running in hardware mode (yay for ALchemy). My sound card has 112 useable channels, and WOW can only use 64 of them, so I know it's not a hardware limitation. And it never did that before 4.3.2.

When I have time over the next week, I'm gonna disable the hardware sound for a test and see if it still happens.
Edited by Mogrigg on 2/28/2012 9:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I just disabled it and it got even more weird... it worked when zoomed in, but not when zoomed out only 10 clicks....
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
even more odd, sometimes one of my abilities will work for sound, then directly after it a different ability may or may not make sound, but if i try the previous ability that made sound again, there is no sound... but crickets are chirping and music is playing... wtf?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Experiencing the same problem since the patch, extremely annoying
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Also, it has to be something to do with the camera distance. I scroll the camera back and i have sound but if i scroll it foward it takes the sound away, very strange.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Of course any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated by all affected.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I've been experiencing a similar issue. My power auras, DBM sounds, boss emotes, and even the sound Sinister Strike makes when it hits work only part (and a small part) of the time.

An interesting note is that I generally play with many sounds muted by including blank .ogg files in the Data/Sound folder. I've found that if I play without any modified sound files (i.e. I remove everything from the Data/sound folder) then all the sounds appear to work fine, except that they're drowned out by the idiotic clang-clang-clang of melee hits.

Anyone come across anything about how to handle this? I really like being able to rely on sound queues for certain things and this behaviour is making that hard.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Seems like we're not going to get a fix anytime soon, i also play with modified sound files however perhaps thats the problem somehow
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I wish I had some clue how to fix this without unmuting all my sounds. Or some idea why this is happening.

Anyone found a solution?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
...An interesting note is that I generally play with many sounds muted by including blank .ogg files in the Data/Sound folder. I've found that if I play without any modified sound files (i.e. I remove everything from the Data/sound folder) then all the sounds appear to work fine, except that they're drowned out by the idiotic clang-clang-clang of melee hits...

I play with several altered files as well. but I did a restore on my wow. When you say remove those altered files, should I just delete my sound folder and then restore it?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
03/01/2012 10:29 PMPosted by Luckyspoon
...An interesting note is that I generally play with many sounds muted by including blank .ogg files in the Data/Sound folder. I've found that if I play without any modified sound files (i.e. I remove everything from the Data/sound folder) then all the sounds appear to work fine, except that they're drowned out by the idiotic clang-clang-clang of melee hits...

I play with several altered files as well. but I did a restore on my wow. When you say remove those altered files, should I just delete my sound folder and then restore it?

I just deleted the data/sound folder. I didn't restore WoW. I haven't found a way to get consistent sound while also muting the sounds I hate.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Quote from: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3429933783?page=1#7

Good news everyone!

The raid was successful, I had no sound dropouts during any encounter.
After some trial and error it turned out that the sample rate isn't responsible for the problems after all.
Instead it was the length of the "sound" included in the sound files; my previous files simply contained no sound at all, and the new ones contain 1ms of total silence - voila, problem fixed.

Zero-byte files that are simply renamed to .ogg won't work either by the way. And indeed those have never worked correctly for me anyway, which was the reason why I started my own silenced sound addon in the first place.

tl;dr

You now need (only) valid OGG files to replace sounds.
.wav files simply renamed to .ogg will not work.
Neither will files with a length of 0 (empty dummy files, e.g. an empty .txt file renamed to .ogg).
These valid OGG files require an actual content. 1ms will do.
The sample rate doesn't matter.

Shameless ad:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info18781-MutedSounds-Combat.html
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Nice. Thanks Misfit, that seems to be working for me!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]