Macro instant-cast spell limitation

85 Draenei Shaman
This macro should instantly cast my next spell under ten seconds:
/cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead] Nature's Swiftness
/cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead] Greater Healing Wave

Unfortunately, it only gives me my instant cast if I am not moving. This absolutely defeats one of the points of having an instant cast macro and needs to be addressed as I can assure you it has caused me plenty of wipes over my years of shamaning. Macro's like this are commonly referred to as "oh s***! buttons" - macro's used when you often don't have quite the presence of mind to remember to double-click.

Please, please can you fix this! I'm at my wits end!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
It is the same with the druid spell/macro. very frustrating
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It's not the fault of the macro. It's your latency. From the time you cast nature's swiftness, it takes a little while for that to be sent to and acknowledged by the server, then for the server to reply you're ok to now cast insta GHW, and for that confirmation to travel back to your client.
The way you have macro currently, both spells fire at the same time and there is no way to build in a delay to account for this travel time. The worse your latency is, the worse this gets.
You can make it a castsequence like this:

/castsequence Nature's Swiftness, Greater Healing Wave

and press it twice and it will work without attempting to cast ghw with a cast time. But..you can't then use this to cast ghw normally. It will only work as your oh !@#$ button.
Edited by Sedivy on 2/17/2012 8:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
See: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965569145#3
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Haha yeah I got it from Sedivy the first time, but lol-worthy for sure.

I'm sure that there could be a way for the clever devs at Blizz to actually fix this, though...

Ah well, just have to live with it methinks.
Edited by Khayla on 2/19/2012 3:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
There is no "fix" - this is a limititation brought on by the following factors;

1) Needing the server to process commands from the client before executing them.
2) Physical limits on transmission time between your computer and the server.

Since neither of these factors is likely to ever change, this is the way things will likely stay for the life of WoW.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
i thought you used to be able to add in a millisecond wait time before the next action:

/cast avenger's shield
wait 1000
/cast hammer of the righteous

might be wrong, or old info :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
If it was ever possible, it would have been back in vanilla days. Definitely not now.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
02/19/2012 11:58 AMPosted by Nihîlus
i thought you used to be able to add in a millisecond wait time before the next action:

02/19/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Sedivy
If it was ever possible, it would have been back in vanilla days. Definitely not now.

This was never possible in the current macro environment.

In Classic (pre-2.0) we had much more freedom in the scripting environment and could do spell casts from code - which we're unable to do under most circumstances now, specifically to prevent people from making scripts to play the game for them.

Some external programs will stuff commands into the chatbox of wow to execute WoW's macro code, but using them is a very quick and non-appeal-able route to a permanent ban for botting.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]