Laptop Randomly Shuts off during Gameplay.

28 Human Paladin
Can anyone help me?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Did you try the link suggested? Run the benchmark?
Reply Quote
13 Orc Shaman
ok man. I had the same problem with another (better) game....eve online. 1 old fan can make a temp difference between 2 degrees. not important untill you try everything else. first change what programs start with windows with msconfig. reduces cpu load and heat. take out your battery. Old batterys aside from being weaker with shorter battery life also have the awesome feature of creating more heat than the brand new out of the box stuff. This is a heat issue. make no mistake. I had the same error message and looked it up Basically your kernal that regulates heat crashes your computer. Also its good to note that a 'cooling pad' works well but only if it is positioned DIRECTLY under the place on your laptop that creates the most heat. This may mean you have to maneuver your computer to find the right spot. And finally if all that doesn't work, you could play a real mans game and try Eve online. lol probably will see you there.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I don't think your really getting it. it IS NOT a heating problem, It doesn't just randomly overheat in the 10 seconds it takes to log on. So shut up about over heating and try to help me. Thank you.

You do realize that the CPU in your laptop -- in any computer -- can get hot enough to cause the system to shut itself off due to overheating in a matter of SECONDS from power-up.

You're turning on your computer, waiting for it to boot, loading up WoW.... that is an eternity of time within which your computer can overheat and shut off.

Listen to what everyone is telling you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
been having a similar issue. shuts down randomly when playing wow, then more and more often till the game will not load. ran stress tests, and got it where I could kill my system with a push of a button. tore apart laptop some more. certain I was having over heating issues. tore apart fans and fins to make sure they were clean. tore apart rest of cooling system, just so I could replace cooling fluids. I'm not a novice, but I am not a pro either. and my laptop looks like its been through hell and back now.
Power supply unit. replaced it and computer ran wow no problem for a few days. burned another one out. goanna get one that is made for my laptop. of my computer performs is apparently has a direct correlation to what power supply I am using. Will post again once I have completed a raid with my guild (the real test)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
ok i have the same problem but with an added strange twist. When i log into wow my laptop shuts off when i get in game at the same time, just a few seconds after getting in game, BUT ONLY ON MY DEATH KNIGHT. Every other Character i have loads and plays just fine. It only shuts down when i switch over to my Death Knight. it loads just fine but when it reaches the ingame screen on the Death KNight ONLLY it shuts down. Extremely strange.
Reply Quote
41 Undead Rogue
02/03/2014 09:25 AMPosted by Glave
ok i have the same problem but with an added strange twist. When i log into wow my laptop shuts off when i get in game at the same time, just a few seconds after getting in game, BUT ONLY ON MY DEATH KNIGHT. Every other Character i have loads and plays just fine. It only shuts down when i switch over to my Death Knight. it loads just fine but when it reaches the ingame screen on the Death KNight ONLLY it shuts down. Extremely strange.

crazy, I have the exact same problem, and I agree, its not an overheating problem, my system runs fine any other time, but as soon as I get in game, either fresh or if ive been logged on doing other thibngs, I sometimes last for 5 min, other times I can last for an hour before it shuts down. id REALLY like a viable explanation for this. as this is not the only thread that ive seen on this subject. theres actually quite a few people with this problem.
Edited by Stenchoreo on 3/15/2014 8:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I'll be the vicious poster and say "return your laptop for a refund."

Actually there's truth in this. Your laptop may not feel hot but that's because the temperature may not have gotten to the outside world. Internally the GPU may have overheated for a split second before the self preservation hardware kicks in and shuts the machine down.

Try limiting your frames per second to 10 or something low and see if it will last longer before shutdown. At least on my laptop, it makes the machine run a lot cooler and longer on battery power (but I don't have these shutdown problems...)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]